Thread: "Gotta Go" Method (no luck involved)

"Gotta Go" Method (no luck involved)

I've gained a ton of info and insight from TS, so I thought I'd contribute where I can. It's not tank specific, but it has definitely helped me out. Hope it helps others.

Reposted from:

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> "Gotta Go" Method (no luck involved)

So, I've read every forum post possible, listened to everyone's methods, and tried every possible group combination that I could manage... all in hopes of getting "Gotta Go". After hours and hours and hours of wipes, and countless respecs, restocking of consumables, praying, and "near" victories (all based on luck), I had an epiphany.

I'm sure many of you have despawned the boss in order to get closer, thus staring DPS faster (at least with melee). Some may have even tried getting behind him and coming in from the back just to get that little extra bit of DPS before he casts. What I realized when despawning him for the 1000th time was that when Anub walked over to me (I pulled from outside the arena) he didn't cast... ever.

So, the light in the attic came on and I asked our Hunter (who was not using Snake trap on any attempt btw) to pull the boss from where I normally pulled (in front of boss, outside of the arena). I had walked around behind the boss (even as a Tauren, if you hug the ledge you won't pull and you can get behind) to get in position. I had the Hunter pull, when the boss got close to him, I Dark Command (Taunt). Anub turned around and walked towards me... then the Hunter Distracting Shot to pull the boss back to him. After Anub took a couple steps back towards the Hunter, I Death Gripped (doesn't yank the boss closer, but forces attack for 3 seconds).

During this entire time, Anub did not cast anything.

So, then we reset the boss and we formulated a strategy. The entire group (except myself) would stand in front of the boss (right inside of where the arena wall comes up). I would walk behind. The Hunter would MD our Mage, and we could start a countdown. At anywhere from 3-1 seconds, our casters would begin DPS, and the MD would hit to the Mage (only reason we did Mage is because he has a tendency to pull aggro anyway, and this is a key facet of our strategy for later).

Anub ran to the front area, and I immediately Taunted him back. He turned and walked to me... full DPS going on the boss the entire time. The Hunter Disrtacting Shot to pull back to himself, and Anub turned around and ran towards the group... full DPS again, aside from me doing absolutely nothing in the back area. After Anub took a few steps towards the group, I gripped to cause him to attack me for 3 seconds. At this point the boss was around 76-82% health (numbers reflect a couple different attempts while we solidified this strategy). I simply walked towards the boss, and he IMMEDIATELY began casting (doesn't matter if it is Pound or Swarm). This is a 5.1 second cast (with COT) and we easily burned through about 30% health in this time, often times taking the boss to 45-47% as he submerges.

This is with no Bloodlust and no Trinkets or Cooldowns except one Bestial from the Hunter (who has a second one for the second phase anyway).

We attacked the adds as normal, wave 1 spawning 2 melee, wave 2 spawning 2 melee 2 casters.

Now, here's where the Mage aggro comes into play:

When Anub resurfaces, he is really really mad at the Mage. I stand to the side (all the way left if facing the boss) and the remaining group stands in the front where they started. Anub comes up and runs to the Mage as I run behind the boss and immediately taunt. The cycle continues until the boss is sub 30% (even 35% is ok at this point if you bring Bloodlust or you have massive cooldowns, none of which we had available). The boss begins to cast, and you burn him down as you did in the first phase.

This technique is easily repeatable, and is most likely the closest "true method" to killing this boss. There is zero luck involved in this strategy, as you can basically "force" Anub to cast when YOU are ready to DPS him down... not when he just randomly decides to cast.

Here was our group makeup:

DK Tank (Suspect)
    Moonkin (Kmap)
    Hunter (Killtackular)
    Lock (Meatskull)
    Mage (Daskovacs)

We had 1 slow, and no Bloodlust / Heroism. We did not pop any trinkets for the first phase because we forced the cast below 80% every time.

Obviously, as you can see, we used no healer, but this is simply because we had been trying the "brute force / luck" method all night, and once we realized our new strategy, we didn't have him respec back to healing. The Hunter's DPS was low because he had to stop his rotation in order to Taunt, and we know for a fact that this method can be used with a 3 DPS / 1 Heal / 1 Tank group makeup.

Here are some tips using this method (and workarounds):

DK Tank preferred (2 taunts is good - not required: see below)
    Shaman (Bloodlust / Heroism is good for second phase)
    1 of any type of cast slow (CoT, Mind Numbing, Hunter Trap)
    Taunt #2 (doesn't matter what, as long as it is ranged).

As you can see, this clearly opens up the group makeup further than what was initially expected.

Now, if you do not have access to a DK tank (or DPS who can hit Frost Presence for adds phase) then you can adjust the strategy to have everyone switch positions (group is behind Anub, tank is in front) and the tank pulls, then the group behind lights up the boss and gains aggro, then you taunt back etc. This also works fine (we tested it a number of ways).

The reason I recommend a Shaman is for the second phase. This makes burning through the last 30% elementary with any group makeup. Again, we did NOT have a Shaman, I am simply recommending it for those that have access. Elemental would be very strong here, though Resto is very good as well. The additional DPS that totems (and Fire Elemental) bring overall is just very appreciated.

Also, we brought full consumables and flasks... however, later in the evening (still bashing our heads against the wall doing the "luck" method) we stopped using them. You do not need any consumables if your DPS is sufficient. If it is a little bit low, or you are definitely going to try the 3 DPS and 1 Healer (assuming your healer DPS's during the Pound Phase), then I'd definitely consider any boost you can get.

A Hunter is handy due to Distracting Shot, and overloading your top aggro-puller with even more aggro (for the phase 2 surfacing). Again, not required, as this player will most likely have top aggro anyway, seeing as the tank does almost nothing except during the adds phase, and a pitiful amount of damage during the "burn" phase (80%-49%, 30%-0%).

A Warlock is also recommended for a couple of reasons. CoT (or some type of casting-slow) is very helpful and may even be required at this point. In addition, you CAN cast dots on the boss after he "wipes" them, but before he submerges. We've often seen him submerge at 53 only to come up at 45% when everyone applied their dots perfectly. You generally have enough time to get about 2 on him.

Do not forget the importance of a countdown in the beginning so all DPS can begin hitting the boss at the same time. The more DPS you get on the boss before he starts running, the less time you have to keep him moving.

I hope that this post is helpful to all of the people that have tried this achievement over and over again only to give up. Our group (and guild) is very proud to have seen it done after all of the "fixes" but before the upcoming "nerf " (increased time). We believe that we accomplished this goal using a legitimate strategy at the absolute hardest time to do it: no Mage spellsteal crit buff, no double and triple stacking slows (for 7-9 second cast times), no gripping the boss from underground (yes, it used to work!).

We almost won it with luck / brute force numerous times, but it is by luck that we ultimately learned to do it without the RNG.

Congratulations to all that have done the achievement using whatever method that worked, and I hope our method can save people 100's if not 1000's of gold in respecs, repairs, and consumables (our bills were insane).

TLDR: Keep boss moving until you want him to cast... then get close to him to force a cast.

- Suspect / Minim of Vital: Dark Iron

Thanks for the very detailed post. So in short, kiting him all over the fight area, ping-ponging aggro actually pre-empts his submerge?

Exactly. When he is moving, and no one is in front of him (15 yard range for Pound, unsure on Swarm... probably similar), he absolutely will not cast. Force him to cast on your terms by only getting close to him when he is at the appropriate percentage!

Dark Iron Represent! Very nicely done, guys.

Hmm, so does anyone think this can work: Using 2 warriors standing on opposite sides of the circle using vigilance on each other (so basicly no cd on taunt) while ping pong taunting him around the room from 100% to 0%?

You would not have the DPS to burn him through a cast if you have two prot warriors doing that, unless you have some amazing DPS. And to the original poster, seems like a great method to do the boss. At the same time it looks very complicated as well, had to read the post a few times. Might give it a go this weekend.

It'd involved fast reflexes and initiative to keep the boss ping ponged around with threat moves. I was of the mind to spec to fury to do this fight. 1 more question: while threat is being ping-ponged by people standing on the edge of the arena, can melee classes like rogue run to his side and continue dpsing? Having Mind-numbing poison and Tricks of the Trade I'd imagine could help this fight immensely still.

There is an easier method than ping-ponging.

First, pull the boss with the tank, from a distance, doing as much ranged DPS as you can (assuming you have any) before Anub reaches the tank. When he arrives, he will start to cast. At this point, DPS like crazy until only a couple seconds remain on the cast timer (about 2, assuming you slowed it to 5.1). Everyone run to the other side of the arena, and let Anub run across to you again. At this point, he should be at about 80% or below health.

Quote Originally Posted by Nookz View Post
    Hmm, so does anyone think this can work: Using 2 warriors standing on opposite sides of the circle using vigilance on each other (so basicly no cd on taunt) while ping pong taunting him around the room from 100% to 0%?
    No, I think the point is if Anub gets in melee range of who he has aggro on he'll start casting, and vigilance only refreshes when someone takes damage (and without getting into melee range that's not guaranteed).

I like this method, though it's depressing how group make-up dependent it is. Seems like this group is penalized for a healer (regardless of whether it CAN be done) it's penalized for melee...and it seems rather unlikely that a warrior could pull it off without a ton of luck. We have 3 taunts, but one requires melee range and the other is only a 10-yard range.

Could it be done by two warriors cycling taunts while three dps burn him down? Also is it possible to keep him from submerging from 100% to 0, or does he have to submerge in order to get the achievement? Our normal group composition is two well geared fury warriors, myself (warrior), and a resto druid ( would spec balance for this ).

This is really easy now, no special tricks required. Just dps him fast and kill adds swiftly, with Naxx25 gear they drop like flies. Got it during typical heroic pug without going for any achievements in particular.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

yep, in heroic/naxx10 gear we got him down with 40 sec to spare, and we didn't manange burn him past any submerges. They could've at least made it a challenge by setting the timer to 3min.

It's still requiring some decent DPS at least.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid