+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection Warrior -- Increase Your Damage

Protection Warrior -- Increase Your Damage

Threat doesn't matter. This has been posted before and it hasn't changed since 3.0 launched. Here's the exceptions:
    • Threat matters when working between tanks in terms of controlling aggro switches;
    • Threat matters on Malygos because of the massive damage boosts the raid gains;
    • Threat may matter in future encounters, either due to encounter mechanics or lopsided gear scaling.
    All that said, stop worrying about your Threat unless it's one of the first two bullet points above. Instead, focus on your damage output.

Deep Wounds Is Baseline
    I won't use the word 'required' because there are always exceptions to rules for Protection specs. However, 3 points in Deep Wounds is hands down more important than 3 points in Cruelty. Many tanks, including myself, are seeing minimum gains of 6% damage and, in some cases, up to 12% damage. This is true on trash and it's true on single-target raid encounters. Keep in mind that Deep Wounds greatly closes the gap between fast and slow weapons in terms of damage (where fast was unquestionably superior at all times in the past). It is virtually always worth picking up in your spec unless you're specing more than 51 points in Protection for a specific encounter.

15/5/51 (Everyday Build)
    WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

15/5/51 (Malygos Build)

You can alternate points into Improved Shield Block if you want for either build. Safeguard has limited uses in raiding as well. Spec for the encounter you're in!

Don't Gem For Avoidance
    Content just doesn't warrant a heavy investment in Avoidance, especially with diminishing returns. Focus more of your slots onto damage oriented stats, particularly Expertise since this also increases your survivability. Expertise and Hit are preferred due to their stabilizing effect early in pulls where DPS can spike.

Stamina is still a very solid stat, especially for your blue gem slots. Many of the items without blue gems now offer Stamina socket bonuses, so that can be an ideal place to at least get mixed gems in. This is up to you and should be based off your goals -- for all non-Achievement 10 and 25-man encounters, however, you don't need to put a single socket in for Stamina.

Feel Free To Uninstall Your Threat Meter...
    ...until Malygos, at least.

I keep my threat meter installed just because it fits nicely into my UI.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I love this build, been on it for 2 weeks and agree with the noticable bump in damage and ability to hold groups of mobs.

yep i went to something similar myself about a week or so ago.

love it, i do need to gem/enchant for more threat type stats though.

I took the points outta Imp Charge and put them into Imp Rend. So far I am liking the result. If I could find the WWS for it I have Rend ticks topping out around 900 on some boss. Depending on the fight I have seen Deep Wounds being up to 17% of my total damage done.

I have to say that Broken Promise really makes Deep Wounds and Imp Rend worth the investment.

I understand what you are saying. Since the build (Impale and Deep Wounds) is based upon damage dealt "when" you Crit,

1) What would you say our (warrior tanks) Critical Strike % be at the bottom end? Right now, mine is at 10.78% (Un-Buffed). I feel; no matter what build I have; my crit % is too low to justify taking Deep Wounds. (I do have 1/2 in Impale)

2) Since I tend to "crit" more with my Shield Slam ability, (though this is probably equal with my hit with my weapon) does the above (Impale and Deep Wounds) apply here?

3) Does this mean I can forgo the 2% Threat / 10 Parry on the gloves and throw the strength enchant on them instead?

4) Is the old saying (Faster is better) when it comes to a tanking weapon?

Was gonna try out deep wounds this week, but thats more dropping threat talents from fury. I dunno about dropping survivability talents though, or about gemming for threat/damage.

"Don't Gem For Avoidance"

Im pretty much stacking stamina gems at the moment, but where I need something else (for socket bonus or meta gem requirements say) im gonna stick with avoidance. Ye its not an amazing benefit, but its the best survivability boost im gonna get out of it. Damage output is important sure, but I see survivability as more important.

Depends what you are doing I guess. If you have everything on farm then why not gem for dps (although I think I'd rather just switch in dps trinkets/rings etc), or if you are going for quick kill achievements. And who knows whats gonna be needed in Ulduar. But for progressing through the current wotlk raid content, avoidance>damage imo. From my experience you're just more likely to wipe from a tank dying than from him not doing enough damage.

Survivability is and always has been important only until the point where you no longer need to be concerned about death.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by 1stormchaser View Post
    1) What would you say our (warrior tanks) Critical Strike % be at the bottom end? Right now, mine is at 10.78% (Un-Buffed). I feel; no matter what build I have; my crit % is too low to justify taking Deep Wounds. (I do have 1/2 in Impale)
    Check your talents!

I think i may give the spec a try. threat hasn't been an issue unless some caster gets like an insane amount of crits in a row.

Even chain pulling though i am beginning to have rage issues again. how does this spec affect rage generation.

I am hoping by doing more damage it would help to generate more rage.
    Are you finding that to be the case?

How can you say threat not matters? Ive got dk's in my guild pullin 5-6K tps and it takes every little bit i can just to try and remain above them. Or am i missing something here?

I think I am going to go ahead and switch out all of my Regals (8dodge/12stam) for Guardian's (8exp/12stam). That will give me 40 more expertise rating, and exactly 40 (10%) unbuffed. Hopefully I can pick up the shoulders soon which will bring me even nearer to the cap.

The content just doesn't warrant gemming for any extra avoidance. I'm not too upset, playing this DPS game is kind of fun anyways.

Tell them to turn off Frost presense?

I have not had much problems with threat/dmg - at least not as much as dying. So for myself, I'm sticking to surviving and when I have the gear to match that, then I'll worry about my dps.

I'm just afraid that some warrior in dungeon blues will switch to a deep wounds build cuz he saw it on tankspot and go tank his first heroic, survivability always comes first - once you know you can survive, then you can try to give the dps a run for their money

Heres the thing Elf.. they swear up and down they arent in Frost presense.. and they are pulling 5-6K tps while im doing 5-6K as well.. so Its throwing me for a loop as it is..

Quote Originally Posted by ElfTheHunter View Post
    Tell them to turn off Frost presense?

I have not had much problems with threat/dmg - at least not as much as dying. So for myself, I'm sticking to surviving and when I have the gear to match that, then I'll worry about my dps.

I'm just afraid that some warrior in dungeon blues will switch to a deep wounds build cuz he saw it on tankspot and go tank his first heroic, survivability always comes first - once you know you can survive, then you can try to give the dps a run for their money
    I took the Everyday build as soon as I hit 80 (few days ago). Stepped into my first heroic with something like 520 defence and 19.5-20k HP, and had no issues whatsoever.

Mind you, it was Nexus, and I did have an awesome guildy tree with me, but still. :P

I do understand the push to gear for DPS as a tank as we now make an honest contribution but sacrificing some of the avoidance/survivability I will taking the "Everyday Spec" and re-gemming makes me a bit scared. For some background I will say we are quickly pushing through naxx (one week more than half clear with no previous experience) and am geared in a mix of badge/heroic/crafted epics and blues (damned crappy RNG in naxx). My current stats sit at:

27.4k hp
    22.7k armor
    553 def
    37% Dodge/Parry combined
    16% Block with 907 BV

If I go to the spec and regem I will drop to 13% block and probably 33-34% avoidance. Granted health and BV will go up but is taking the hit worth it at this stage? Especially to the Block %. That number just seems too damned small for my liking. It makes me feel inadaquate, LOL.

As always interested to hear the communities thoughts.

Yea, I usually pug heroics, and as such I need to prepare myself to deal with undergeared healers - so to me survivability > damage. It just feels to me like when tanking there's more you can DO (abilities) to increase your tps than to increase your survivability (excluding ls/sw/er). Now as I get more epics and start to feel comfortable I also will be picking up deep wounds instead of the 3% block - but at the moment that 3% seems more important to me. Again, if I could have a trusted healer, I would probably refocus myself to help carry the pugged dps

As far as DKs, I tanked nexus with one who kept STEALING aggro - so vigi, and as much threat as I could dish out managed to make me keep slightly ahead of him... so I complained and asked if he had some "tank" like aura on. He said no. Later when I told a friend, he said that he probably was in frost presence and now I always spy on the DKs in my group to see what presence they are in. Have never noticed frost on, and I've yet to suffer the aggro problems I had with that DK.

hrm I dunno, threat does matter you should always know your threat even if it's not currently an issue imo. It's like one of the basic things you need to know/do as a tank and like the examples you mentioned, can catch you off-guard if you happen not to be paying attention.

This week on heroic loatheb I noticed half way through my threat dropped to 0, only to realize dps was being lazy and killing the spores too close to me and getting the fungal creep debuff. awesome huh.

back on topic, 15/5/51 is the best tanking dps build; gem for expertise and stamina, not dodge/parry.

oh I wanted to add blizzard will probably nerf the deep wounds build at some point, maybe buff devastate so tanks aren't "cheating" their way up the meters

Question on imp revenge and vigilance

For those of us still gearing up will my healer notice the extra spikyness possible from the lower chance to block of only having 2/5 shield spec?

Also, while I'm still working on quests, grinding motes etc, will the lower block rate gimp my AOE grinding ability?

... is imp revenge really all that worth it? +20% for 2 talents on a single ability we use once every 5-6 seconds or less seems a little expensive. (especially if threat really is unimportant)
    Farothin of Rexxar <Avaledan>
    Paranoia is just another word for longevity.

+ Reply to Thread