+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gearing for Threat: WotLK Guide to Hit & Expertise

Here's my little tribue to this thread, well more of a showoff actually

It really took a while to collect all the items (silly Malygos!) but I've finally done it! So, feel free to comment and suggest any improvements if possible.

Unbuffed, directly from character sheet:

Speed: 1.60
    Power: 2802
    Hit Rating: 296 (9.03%) (can't really get rid of extra 1.03% :-\)
    Crit Chance: 7.97%
    Expertise: 57

Armor: 24515
    Defense: 542
    Dodge: 21.51%
    Parry: 19.18%
    Block: 19.08%

Health: 29447 (Tauren)

The World of Warcraft Armory

Laterz.
    Last edited by Loccomotion; 03-30-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Only tips that I could offer would be:

1) Re-roll JC out of mining, you could swap out a few gems for a +27 exp prismatic and get some +41 stamina prismatic gems in slots to get the socket bonus where it would be beneficial.

2) Take advantage of the +40 exp food. I think being able to drop five of the 8exp/12stam gems for 24 stamina is more beneficial than any of the other stat food you could use. (600hp is better than 40str from alternate food in my book)

You could probably break 30k un-buffed hp this way.

Lucky for me I cheat, racial +5 exp ftw

Just suggestions, everything looks great the way it is, just all the expertise socketing seems excessive to me.

I'll post when my stuff updates.

Sorry, haven't read through the thread yet, but why does a thread that starts off explaining all of the components to threat only contain a list of hit/expertise items? Are you not taking into account DPS stats and even like STR and SBV?
    Last edited by Forklift; 03-27-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Comes with the gear.

swapping out for SBV items while sacrificing hit/exp will lower your dps/tps from my experience. Having your having your abilities miss/dodged/parried gimps your dps/tps and wastes a GCD, especially bad when its a main ability like SS.

Itemizing for strength isn't that great either atm. Most of the tanking gear has a decent amout of it already, best thing you can do for SBV is pick up 25man KT shield for its block.

Expertise is the key dps stat for a tank in my opinion. Having the boss facing you through the fight really sucks for every melee class and puts a huge dent in your output.

I'm at 8.11% hit and 14.25% exp (capped for both) and having EVERY attack land on a raid boss is much more valuable than the small amout of SBV or extra strength that you could itemize for.

Hope that answers your question kinda

I mean, that's simply wrong. There is always a trade-off between different stats. Clearly 100 STR is better than 10 expertise rating. Somewhere in the middle, they click. If you start paying attention to the strength on tank gear, you'll notice it varies considerably from item to item. More importantly, why would you talk about all the stats that affect threat as if they were relevant, if you believe that you should only grab gear with expertise and hit?

More to the point, I was concerned with the list because it's pretty useless at the moment. There are already threads and gear lists with threat plate tank gear listed and ranked. What this thread could actually add is some good information on rings, trinkets, ranged, necks, and random good plate DPS that has good stam, some expertise or hit maybe, and probably some crit. Some theorycrafting on how crit helps with deep wounds maybe?

I mean, you (Cheesefry) are wearing Ruthlessness, which isn't on this list. In fact, this list only seems to have blue items and a few select epics. It lists a level 77 green quest reward as the #4 ranked ranged threat item because it's only ranking by hit/expertise. Clearly there are better items for threat. Arrowsong is below the shotgun because it has less hit, even though it is obviously ten times better, with a not-terrible stam.

I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't really spent any time in this sub-forum until today, and I come here and the first three threads I read are filled with either trivial or straight up wrong information.

First of all, I didn't even read the list after I started to see the blue/green so I defiantly agree with you there. You should not take a a crappy item just because it has hit or expertise on it, that would just be stupid.

After reading your response too, I am confused why you are beating on me about equipping ruthlessness. I thought that was exactly the point you were trying to make? I took a str/crit dps ring in slot over a tanking ring with all avoidance stats and less strength. Yes, I know it has expertise on it, but find me a ring with more str/crit on it and I'll definately trade it out.

I could agree that Arrowsong is a better inslot for tanking dps, but that little bit of AP/Crit doens't seem worth the stam I would lose and the defense rating that I would have to replace on other items.

Also show me where I can trade this 10 exp rating for 100 str, I would jump on that in a second. Most of the places that i can trade for higher strength gear isn't a 10 to 1 trade. Most of the tradeouts for strength would come at a loss of expertise greater than a 1 to 1 trade.

So I agree that there is a trade-off between differnet stats. Stop at the dodge cap if you feel that is enough, I did for awhile until I could get parry capped too. I don't agree with grabbing gear with only hit/exp on it either, but if you can pick up gear that has, do it.

And don't get me wrong I wasn't referring to the original post directly, I was just responding to the most recent replies, I haven't even read the original post yet in full.

Oh, I just meant that if someone followed this list, he wouldn't even think about Ruthlessness, which is a very viable option for a ring slot.

I hit 56 expertise without food tonight. Lemme link what I use since I am always changing armory.

Helm of Vital Protection - Item - World of Warcraft stam meta, def/stam gem
    Boundless Ambition - Item - World of Warcraft
    Pauldrons of Unnatural Death - Item - World of Warcraft 27expertise JC gem, hodir exalted chant
    Platinum Mesh Cloak - Item - World of Warcraft 16 def enchant
    Valorous Dreadnaught Breastplate - Item - World of Warcraft 24 stam, 41 stam, 275 hp
    Bracers of Lost Sentiments - Item - World of Warcraft 15 exp enchant
    Valorous Dreadnaught Handguards - Item - World of Warcraft 41 stam, armsmen
    Ablative Chitin Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft 24 stam, 24 stam
    Legplates of Sovereignty - Item - World of Warcraft stam/agi leg armor
    Sabatons of Endurance - Item - World of Warcraft 22 stam
    Ruthlessness - Item - World of Warcraft
    Signet of the Impregnable Fortress - Item - World of Warcraft
    Darkmoon Card: Greatness - Item - World of Warcraft
    Figurine - Monarch Crab - Item - World of Warcraft def/stam, 24 stam
    Armor Plated Combat Shotgun - Item - World of Warcraft 24 stam
    Wall of Terror - Item - World of Warcraft 20 def
    Broken Promise - Item - World of Warcraft weapon chain, human racial

Note several of my items are not best in slot which is really encouraging I could get so close to the cap without perfect drops in a starter instance.

edit: This set put me at 29.6k hp unbuffed 547 def and 182 hit. I use 40 hit food and beg for a draeni.
    Last edited by Vassilly; 03-29-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Confused and Lost

First let me say that all the information in here is great and can't believe I have not visted this site sooner. Unfotunatly I am still having trouble figuring out where I am going wrong.

I hate asking this but I really need to figure out why I am unable to generate enough threat. We always have a dranie in the group so that shouldbe considered. So any help from the experts here would be greatly appriecated. One note I am getting accuracy tonight on my MH.

I had mages pulling bosses at like 75%, thats late in the fight for me not
    to have enough agro. (10 Man Naxx)

Does anyone have the time to tell my by looking at my gear what the issue might be?

The World of Warcraft Armory

For starters you need to drop puncture and pick up focused rage. Read the tooltips you will see how focuse rage is always better. Also pick up imp revenge for extra dmg. Take three out of tactical mastery and one out of iron will. Put them in imp heroic strike and 1 in cruelty. If you do what I asked your heroic strike will go from 15 rage to 9. You should be able to spam heroic much more often without rage starving yourself. You took puncture wich leads me to believe you are a devestate spammer. Devestate is one of our lowest threat attacks so use things like shockwave and concussive blow before it. (keeping sunder stacks up of course).
    The fact you are using green quality gems and an incorrect spec leads me to believe your relatively new to lvl 80 warrior tanking. Nothing is wrong with that, I only say it to make the point you will improve with practice, gear, enchant, and gem upgrades. The mages pulling off you could be more experianced and better geared but def fixing that spec and pushing out more heroics will really help you.

Quote Originally Posted by texlander View Post
    First let me say that all the information in here is great and can't believe I have not visted this site sooner. Unfotunatly I am still having trouble figuring out where I am going wrong.
    -- I agree with you there, I send all new tanks I run across to this site and use words like "Bible of Tanking" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by texlander View Post
    I had mages pulling bosses at like 75%, thats late in the fight for me not
    to have enough agro. (10 Man Naxx)
    Some tips on tools you can use to help yourself.

1. Recount and WWS (do a search on wws wow).
    After boss fights, open up recount and inspect your DPS, it will list the number of times you Heroic, Devastate, Shield Slam, Revenge, etc. When you click on each item, in the window below, it breaks down - hit, miss, crit, etc. This will give you an idea of how often you are missing the intended target.

2. Omen - What kind of TPS (Threat Per Second) are you seeing for yourself on fights like Patchwerk or Sartharion, Frankenstein (whats his name the polarity guy). Those are basically fights where you stand in one place and just do your threat (for the most part).

These kinds of things will help you see what is causing the low threat.
    Also, dont be afraid to drop a vigilance on whoever keeps nipping at your heals in Omen.

Third, and Im sure you have done it by now, but go read up on the Tanking forum here about tanking, learn what abilities do how much threat. You dont need to know the exact values, but you do need to understand that Shield Slam does more threat than say, Heroic Strike. Revenge does a large amount of threat, and costs 2 rage (2!!!!).

I just looked at your glyphs - drop the sunder armor glyph and get the Heroic Strike (10 rage on crit I think it is).

Also, all prot warriors should have the following macros

Shield Slam Macro:

#showtip Shield Slam
    /use 13 #Activates Top Trinket#
    /use 14 #Activates Bottom Trinket#
    /cast Shield Block
    /stopcasting
    /cast [equipped:Shields] Shield Slam
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();

So its firing you trinkets (think Shield block Value or AP or whatever) and then fires Shield block (100% increase to shield block value - so it doubles). Then fires shield slam.

Since you have the Glyph of Revenge - you may want this macro

#showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=5 Revenge, Heroic Strike
    Basically 1 button hit it first time, revenge, second Heroic Strike.

I seem to have a little bit of a dilemma.

This is my current armory The World of Warcraft Armory note that I am wearing dps gloves. I have these for the +22 exp +39 hit +10 sta +24 str that these give me over T7.5 using the same enchant and gem while sacrificing +parry +def. I am almost 41k hp raid buffed in this armor and I often take +hit food to put me at or near cap.

What I would really like to do is replace the +def trinket and get a +sta one in its place for a healthy +sta increase (ignis trinket for example) but I would need to compensate for the defense loss which would mean swapping out the gloves, enchanting +def to shield and possibly swapping out another armor piece.

Is it worth the +exp +hit loss? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Seidx; 05-19-2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: spelling

In naxx25 I go max dps/threat but in Ulduar I switch in a lot of stam/armor/def/avoidance. If your over 26 exp thats enough for ulduar just survive.

I am a paladin tank in a strict 10 man raiding guild. We are currently doing Ulduar and ToC. Would expertise be more important than str for me? The World of Warcraft Armory Any advise would be helpful always trying to better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Renmazuo View Post
    I am a paladin tank in a strict 10 man raiding guild. We are currently doing Ulduar and ToC. Would expertise be more important than str for me? The World of Warcraft Armory Any advise would be helpful always trying to better myself.
    Your armory shows you at 41 expertise and you only "need" 26 to be soft-capped so a boss cannot dodge your attacks. There is no "need" to be hard capped, because generally speaking you will give up to much to get there. As long as you are hit capped and expertise soft capped your in great shape. Do consider you can use 40 hit or 40 expertise food. If I was a 10 man tank, planning to do heroic mode I would focus on my stam and survival the most, but never fully negelect hit/exp.

Hey.
    Im a tanking druid (YAY ME ) and im currently in a guild with some sick dps and im struggling to hold agro, im thinking that this may be because im not capped with hit or expertise, could any of you give me a few pointers ?

Armory Link - Link!

Cloudbringer.
    Proud Evaluee of "Me soo Hordey"
    One day you will learn that your way, is not the only way.

nice guide...now i have to change alot of gear haha. Thanks for the info bro!

+ Reply to Thread