+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear choice/selection in 25 mans

Gear choice/selection in 25 mans

Our guild started doing 25 man content. I am the MT and I would like to know if there is a point as to having too much block rating, whether I should start focusing on getting dodge/parry more than block rating? If so, should I change my red gem slots into dodge/parry gems or leave the expertise/stam gems alone?

The World of Warcraft Armory

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Block rating and value are superb stats - mainly for trash or heroic 5 mans. If the main attack of the boss hits you for over 3-4k then the points spent in Dodge/parry/defense will reduce your incoming damage more than the block stats.

honestly, I haven't looked into the expertise numbers much, but i find it hard to believe that you get more avoidance out of them than actual avoidance.

keep in mind (you get more avoidance/mitigation from pure defense than from pure dodge/parry.

At the 10- and 25-man levels you will notice that the gear is available in two main types:

1) High STR, Medium STA, Medium DEF, + block rating and/or block value
    Example: Fleshless Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft
    Example: Bindings of the Hapless Prey - Item - World of Warcraft
    Example: Inexorable Sabatons - Item - World of Warcraft

2) Medium STR, High STA, High DEF, + other stats
    Example: Ablative Chitin Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft
    Example: Bracers of the Unholy Knight - Item - World of Warcraft
    Example: Sabatons of Endurance - Item - World of Warcraft

Personally I'm aiming primarily for the second type with the higher stamina and defense for MTing 25-man content.

Since block value is considered mitigation, and mitigation increases effective health, and effective health helps alot in progression, does this mean that it does not work as well in wrath content, meaning this whole theory works for BC content? Is this where the 2 schools of tanking theories, effective health versus avoidance comes into play, meaning it just ends up being players preference?

Thanks for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread