+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spec discussion - Deep Wounds

Spec discussion - Deep Wounds

Just curious about what you all think/have experience with, when it comes to a spec that includes Deep Wounds.

From what I can see you trade 5/5 Cruelty and some filler talents like Imp Spell Reflect and Imp Revenge for 20% more critical damage, and Deep Wounds. I am mostly doing alot of heroics right now, so I think I will try it out and see how I like it.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft <---that's the one I'll try.

What do you think? Have you tried it before?

Deep Wounds is one of the most valuable dps/threat talent, per point, that a prot warrior can get. I absolutely love it and will never again not have it.

Would you say a talent spec like I have is the way you would go? Or something else?

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

is what i normally use.
    (i'm tg atm for some fun so dont look at my armory)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenicks View Post
    Deep Wounds is one of the most valuable dps/threat talent, per point, that a prot warrior can get. I absolutely love it and will never again not have it.
    i disagree with the threat per point as that hands down goes to vigilance.

however, in regards to your spec. anger management is not worth the point for a tank or even for any spec. loosing imp revenge is also a lot of damage and threat your are loosing.

depending on gear i would suggest my spec:

The World of Warcraft Armory

if you want you can drop the 2 points of imp spell reflect back into blocking for 2% more block. i prefer to have the 4% chance to be missed by spells plus group spell reflect is cool even if the threat is broken on it.

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    From what I can see you trade 5/5 Cruelty and some filler talents like Imp Spell Reflect and Imp Revenge for 20% more critical damage, and Deep Wounds.
    Deep Wounds is definitely proving to be a fantastic spec, that being said... Imp Revenge is far, far from a filler talent. 20% more damage on an ability you use constantly > whatever else you'll pick up. (and the stun is proving to useful on a number of boss encounters too)

i also find the stun on imp revenge to be useful on some trash IE: the aoe/whirlwinding guys in heroic HoL. 50% is a pretty good chance to make them stop that crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenicks View Post
    i disagree with the threat per point as that hands down goes to vigilance.
    I said one of the, not the best damage/threat per point. I think that honor might actually belong to Improved Defensive Stance. Vigilance can't count there because it doesn't increase your damage.

Deep wounds stands up very nicely on it's own. Once you get a feral in your raid, deep wounds gets pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    Deep wounds stands up very nicely on it's own. Once you get a feral in your raid, deep wounds gets pretty ridiculous.
    I wish I had one, or a arms warrior.

It's worth noting in this thread that Imp. Revenge appears to be on the base damage only of the talent, and not your overall buffed revenge damage. I did not test it myself, but two guildmates did, independently, and that's what they claimed!
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

I have been playing with some form of 15/5/51 or 16/4/51 and have tanked through most of the heroics as well as the spider wing + instructor with that spec.

As we progress though, I wonder if should pick up the 3 missing points in Shield Speialization, and the 2 points in Imp. Spell Reflect, in lieu of cruelty/deep wounds while I am MT for Naxx and Sarth?

Are you guys skipping those 3 Shield Spec points because your gear is providing more block that mine?

For which bosses is Imp Spell Reflect important?

Or does the damage output of the Deep Wounds spec negate the extra prot talents insofars as your improved dps is helping down the boss faster?

Thanks -
    Ukk

I'm just curious, what content are we talking about for these tanking specs?

Do you guys take DW for a 25-man MT role? Or are we only talking 5-man, heroics, and 10-man spec here?

Re: Imp Spell Refect, I haven't really found any need for it in 25-man raiding. The one place in particular where it would be most useful is phase 2 on Malygos, but even then it isn't a necessity if you have a smart raid and good healers.

I use DW for MTing 25-mans. It does 9-11% of my damage on most fights, and helps out a bit with AoE threat.

People seem to glorify how much Deep Wounds helps your AoE threat, but I find the damage it adds for single targets to be even more important.

I use the deep wounds spec to MT 10-mans right now and I also get about 9-11% damage with it.

Ran with my OT last night who had basically the same spec. I think it helps a bunch when we are both around 1200-1400 dps for the night.

I still keep all of shield spec.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

The only thing I miss is focused rage for when I'm questing, usually I still have plenty of rage in heroics/10-mans.

Quote Originally Posted by UWSkeletor View Post
    I use the deep wounds spec to MT 10-mans right now and I also get about 9-11% damage with it.

Ran with my OT last night who had basically the same spec. I think it helps a bunch when we are both around 1200-1400 dps for the night.

I still keep all of shield spec.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

The only thing I miss is focused rage for when I'm questing, usually I still have plenty of rage in heroics/10-mans.
    I think Focused Rage is one of the most best talents in the tree...Warriors spam abilities every GCD and we even use abilities inbetween the GCD's for our next-melee abilities. We get the most "bang for the buck" out of that type of talent than any other class I believe!

In a 6 second window...with 1.6 speed weapon.

0.0 - GCD ability
    0.0 - Heroic Strike
    1.5 - GCD ability
    1.6 - Heroic Strike
    3.0 - GCD Ability
    3.2 - Heroic Strike
    4.5 - GCD Ability
    4.8 - Heroic Strike
    6.0 - GCD Ability

The above of course assumes you're using Heroic Strike on every swing.

With that assumed, in a 6 second window 3/3 Focused Rage saved you 27 rage. That's incredible.

The only things Focused Rage doesn't affect are things that don't hit the enemy, like Battle/Commanding Shout.

I tried dropping Focused Rage, but I couldn't handle it. For the time being, dropping Shield Spec is fine, since the content is a joke. Not sure what will have to change when Ulduar is here.

It may be heresy but am I the only one who looks at dipping Toughness by 2 points?
    At 3/5 you lose 4% of what armor you can buff - plate armor only per next patch.
    [not extra armor, armor on rings/trinks, armor buffs, etc]

You lose some mitigation instead of a little block/rage gen.
    BUT your block avoidance is a pure percent rather than the decreasing armor gain.

Also I did some maths (using Cider armory ) and the loss to AttT isn't much at all.
    Maybe I'll make a separate post regarding it as suppose I'm getting a bit OT.

Ya, I may try the drop 3 points from shield spec to pick up focused rage spec. See how well that goes.

Quick question here. With a 1.6 speed weapon I'm only seeing a 4% DPS increase with Deep Wounds. I assume this scales up with weapon speed, so a 2.6 should give me more like 8-11% increase. I've never really felt a 2.x is for Warriors - does this ability totally change that now?

+ Reply to Thread