+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternative to Wacom Cintiq?

Alternative to Wacom Cintiq?

Cintiq - Product Overview

I've been eyeing the larger Cintiq, but at the $2,000 price tag it's a very difficult purchase to make. Does anyone know of direct alternatives to this?

I had considered a Tablet PC, though if I would settle with a smaller screen I could get the cheaper Cintiq as well. The Tablet has the advantage of acting as a second mobile computer, but carries the huge disadvantage of not having the processor or memory power my desktop has for dealing with large photoshop files.

I'm looking for one of these as well. What did you end up buying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

He got a cintiq 21UX

From all the guys I've talked to (I work in comics, and everyone works digitally), the Wacom Cintiq is unbeatable in terms of quality. I know a guy that's gone through at least 2 tablet PC's, plus another generic brand of tablet monitor similar to a Cintiq and he says they're all garbage and not worth it.

To put in perspective the quality of Wacom products, I still own an Intuos 2 4x5 that I've had for about 6 years now and have never had a single problem with it. I've used it for about an average of about 30 hours/week for the past 5 years since I started working in comics professionally, and the only problem I had was needing to order some new nibs for the pen due to wear and tear.

And yeah, he went ahead and bought the Cintiq. He's got a photo of the "TankSpot Studio" up in the donar forums.

That's kind of the toss up, Intuos 3 or Cintiq

I'm getting back into doing Illustration, and some painting in Corel Paint/Photoshop. I also work in medium format black and white film, and on certain projects I do a lot of heavy grading in Photoshop. Depends on the contrast range I could get down on film.

Do you find working on the tablet while looking at the screen disorienting at all? From a production quality viewpoint do you think the Cintiq merits the extra cost, or are you comfortable working with the Intuos2 at this point?
    Last edited by kolben; 02-25-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caulle View Post
    (I work in comics, and everyone works digitally)
    So what do you do in real life?

EDIT: nvm, you were asking Caulle hehe.

Interested to know that too.
    Last edited by kolben; 02-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Went with the 6x11 Intuos3 and the 6D pen.

I found 2 The P-active and the Yiynova MSP19

I saw the P-active and the one I have now, unfortunately they were out of stock and they run about $800 I was going to get one. I did come across another , it was called the YIYNOVA MSP19 tablet monitor it is a 19" alternative. Much like the Cintiq you can draw and paint right onto the monitor, and it has the same pressure sensitivity and specs as the Cintiq 12". It took some digging to find this one but I discovered Amazon has 4 more left I bought one of them, THIS DOES WORK ON BOTH MAC AND PC. WARNING FELLOW MAC LOVERS... The Driver on the Yiynova site seems to be outdated and it took me some hunting to find the driver for a Mac pro Tower. The driver on the Yiynova site doesn't allow your monitor to calibrate the pen (which the pen is battery operated). I hope they have updated by time you guys see this post. Another WARNING to the Mac users... if you are using more than one monitor you may need to make sure that your Yiynova is the being used as the second monitor (maybe its just my system or user error) had a few monitor issues until I switched the two cabels... Any way After I got the correct drivers, got every thing calibrated and started working on it, I must say I am very pleased. If I were going to give it a star rating I would give it a 4 outta 5 because of the blasted problem with having to locate a driver and it not being included or Yiynova not having the updated driver on their site. Having this I wouldn't go back to my Wacom Bamboo, Comparing the Cintiq and the Yiynova, no competition other than the price, Cintiq is top dog of course but you don't know that if you have never used a Cintiq (I have), I however am glad I didn't pay $2000.00, the YIYNOVA MSP19 is only $549.99 on Amazon and right now they only have 4 left PC users You don't seem to have anything to worry about. on some systems they are plug and play (I did check). Over all I like it I wish I didn't have the hiccups in the beginning but I'm glad to be past that part, and every thing seems to be working great, it seems to play well with photoshop and unfortunately I haven't tried it with Zbrush yet. Hope this helps here is a link so you can see the Yiynova

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ivnova&x=0&y=0

DeonN <human necromancer> 's wasll of text crits Illidra for over 9000.
    justin.tv/Belligra

Watch me play SC2 ladder and enjoy the lolz

What do you mean you had to switch the cables? I also use only Mac. My Yiynova came in today and I can't even get the screen up.
    Yes, the power is on. The LCD light goes green on power up, reads no signal and goes red. I have tried this on my macbook pro and iMac. no response from the monitor. And I have installed the drivers.

What cables are you switching? I thought this runs through the USB?

+ Reply to Thread