Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10 Man Sartharion with 3 drakes (Video)

10 Man Sartharion with 3 drakes (Video)

Here's a video of Premonition vs Sartharion, the 10 man version, with all of the drakes active upon engage. Warrior (myself) perspective.

Enjoy!

Premo10Sarth3.avi - FileFront.com

Codec used: x264

Try this stuff if the video wont play:

Combined Community Codec Pack <-- combined community codec pack
    x264 revision 1053 <-- x264 codec (download the exe)
    BSPlayer <- bsplayer (my standard player)
    Last edited by Xav; 12-14-2008 at 12:13 AM.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Very nice video Xav, as always. I'm looking forward to trying this out, the encounter sure looks more fun done that way than its "basic" version.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

i really like the positioning you have for sarth there. question though... why did you and the other tank switch off once you were done with the adds? and who did you have picking up the fire adds when they first spawned?
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

another prot warrior was on blazes and such originally. we would have used a feral druid or death knight with more of a hybrid role, but we didn't have one available :[

i switched off with the tank on sartharion afterwards because i think i would take less damage, while the dk would also deal more damage
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

edit: bah, didn't reply fast enough (or anywhere near)

Very nice kill, btw, gave me some ideas for our one drake attempts.

As others have said, that is an awesome video; my quick question: how many healers did you use?

What was the setup that you used? It looks like you had three healers and three tanks? I could see three different names in your SCT for incoming heals and while you were tanking the drakes, it definitely looked like someone else was handling the fire elementals. Does the third tank phase with the DPS on the portals and tank the dragonkin there?

So if you only had four DPS, how well geared were they? We just tried our first drake alive attempts last night and were seeing issues with not having any time to DPS the drakes in between killing the adds in the alternate phase and clearing out the elementals that accumulated while the DPS were phased. We were running two tanks and three healers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

We ended up killing it with 3 healers (resto druid, resto shaman, holy paladin), and 3 tanks (unholy dk, and 2 prot warriors).

We made significant, and equal progress, with a 2 healer, 2 mainspec tank, 1 offspec tank setup. It was still my preferred setup - it was resto shaman, holy paladin, and prot warrior, unholy dk as tanks, with another unholy dk doing a hybrid tank/dps role to get adds/etc.

The tradeoff of going for another full healer, bumping it up to 3, is that the first part of the fight is harder, because you're going to get more spawns of Whelps from tenebron, and tank 2 drakes for a lot longer. But the last half gets easier, because you have another healer to help out with Twilight Torment.

With the 2 healer 2.5 tank setup we killed all 3 drakes several times, but our transitioning into the final part of the fight (going down to kill that final acolyte) was problematic, and we always lost the MT to Sartharion's raw physical damage somehow. We finally thought of a solution for it but never ended up returning to that 2/2.5 setup.

The raid ended up convincing me they wanted to try it with 3 healers so we did. Ultimately I don't think it would have made a difference on our success or not, it was other issues we had to straighten out.

Having someone dedicated to picking up loose blazes/whelps is a huge help. While I did spend a few attempts doing it all myself, as well as tanking Drakes, we found it hurt us more than it helped. Moving the drakes around that much reduced DPS, as people had to be more wary of positoning due to the drake breaths. As well as the fact that the Blazes themselves may get enraged and start hitting quite hard, which would put a lot more pressure on me if I was also tanking two drakes. And the fact that a loose enraged blaze up can kill someone in a few seconds flat, so having someone available to tank those asap made a big difference.

The DPS we brought is naturally pretty geared. Mostly full 25 man gear with a few 226 pieces each.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Did you tank sartharion with FR?

Very nice Xav, gratz on the kill, hopefully you got the mount ;p
    I'm from Onyxia, where trade chat makes you wish you were in the barrens.

FR doesn't do much because resists are taken into account before % modifiers.

I already have the 25 man hard mode mount, so I passed on the 10 man one for now. It's also only 280, and I have a glad 310 mount so..
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

you sir are a beast. grats on that kill. and your 310% mount

Gotta give credit where its deserved. Made it look easy

mm, Quick question. Unable, to see, but I'm guessing the 'spawn' order is Middle, Left, Right? (When looking at Sartharion from the entrance).

From what I can see, nobody enters the portals until all 3 Drakes are dead, correct? At what drake does the boss go immune? The last only, right? :< (Atleast, only those portals?).

Looks fairly simple, although I havent tried it. Will probably be trying a similar tactic
    Last edited by Nightdemon; 12-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightdemon View Post
    Gotta give credit where its deserved. Made it look easy

mm, Quick question. Unable, to see, but I'm guessing the 'spawn' order is Middle, Left, Right? (When looking at Sartharion from the entrance).

From what I can see, nobody enters the portals until all 3 Drakes are dead, correct? At what drake does the boss go immune? The last only, right? :< (Atleast, only those portals?).

Looks fairly simple, although I havent tried it. Will probably be trying a similar tactic
    Drake spawns in that order:

Tenebron -> Shadron -> Vesperon, so its like:
    Middle -> Right -> Left (according to your "looking at Sartharion").

Immune Shield is done by Shadron Acolyte (along with 2nd drake) and its mostly in all cases killed as last drake. And wasn't watching yet, but shouldn't they go inside the portal to kill Vesperon Acolyte, so there won't be 100% (Shadron raid wide debuff if still alive) and 75% (debuff if Acolyte of Vesperon is still up) fire debuff (175%) on Sartharion tank? That's the only time when you really need to go inside and of course at the end to kill Shadron Acolyte to take off Immune Shield from Sartharion to kill him after all 3 drakes are dead. I can be wrong and it's maybe done somehow in different way but that's what I was doing when we were trying to kill them.

Read a bit more into it, and only Vesperons adds cause the debuff iirc? Shadrons adds cause Sartharion to go immune.

I wouldn't really say Shadron should be killed last, unless ofc you get the first drake down at the exact time a new one comes up (So no DPS is lost, eg, getting Shadron to 80%, and then taking Vesperon to 0% - Instead Shadrons at 100%?) Dunno.

I'll be doing some testing anyway, but I'd say leaving Shadrons adds alive is viable, and only going into the portal every now and then to kill Vesperon's adds.

Afaik (killing 25 man version soon), Shadron is the one that kills Sartharion tank with his +100% fire damage debuff, so we kill it in 2nd position. But maybe we're wrong .

Quote Originally Posted by juggernauth View Post
    Afaik (killing 25 man version soon), Shadron is the one that kills Sartharion tank with his +100% fire damage debuff, so we kill it in 2nd position. But maybe we're wrong .
    Vesperon Acolyte gives debuff that will add -75% fire/shadow debuff on tank (so its 175% and he hits for 40k/35k) AND Vesperon takes 25% of your hp. Without Vesperon and his Acolyte debuff its just easy to stand against breaths. And to kill Shadron you will have to go inside portal to kill Acolyte of Vesperon so, its easier to take this out of the game then kill Shadron when you dont have to go inside portal anymore (only after 3 drakes are dead to clear Immune Shield of Sartharion).

Well that's of course my guild way of doing it, there are probably plenty of tactics, all are fine and working properly, but some are probably easier to maintain with less geared/less focused players.

Here is how it works.

Each drakes have a global aura applied to you when you engage them, or when you engage Sartharion with them alive.

Vesperon's -25% health aura Power of Vesperon - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Tenebron's +100% shadow damage taken aura Power of Tenebron - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Shadron's +100% fire damage taken aura Power of Shadron - Spell - World of Warcraft

Those auras will be active until you kill that specific drake, they debuff you the moment you engage Sartharion, however.

In addition, the drakes have other abilities. In the event the drakes summon acolytes, they will summon new acolytes to replace those that are killed shortly after it dies, until the drake is dead and can no longer summon.

Tenebron, the first drake, hatches his eggs inside of the Twilight Realm. A few seconds after Tenebron casts Hatch Eggs (and flies around squirrely to do so), ~6 whelps phase into your realm.

Shadron, the second drake, summons in an Acolyte of his. A few seconds after the acolyte is active, the acolyte channels a buff on to Sartharion: Gift of Twilight - Spell - World of Warcraft
    While it says Shadow damage increased, that's wrong. Sartharion doesn't even do any Shadow damage. It actually increases his fire damage, read the wowhead comment for more detail. The buff on Sartharion will remain until you kill the acolytes.

The last drake to land, Vesperon, also summons in an acolyte. When the acolyte finishes channeling, it puts up a debuff on the raid: Twilight Torment - Spell - World of Warcraft

This causes you to take about ~2-3k shadow damage, which can crit, whenever you deal damage. The catch is, the debuff disappears when it procs on you for a few seconds (about 2-3 seconds average usually), so it wont chain proc repeatedly. The debuff will continue to "flicker" if you deal damage, until the acolyte is dead.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

I cant watch the vid atm but im assuming the DK used a rotation of antimagic zone/shell, bone armor, icebound fortitude for breaths with both shadron and vesperons accolyte up? Pally hand of sacrifice + bubble if needed? Interestingly you have almost exactly the same makeup we did 2 drake with but i figured we'd need to make switches to optimise the raid more but i guess not. ^_^