+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plans: Titanium Plating

Plans: Titanium Plating

Hi everyone, I have read these forums for a while but I think this is my first post. My apologies if I made it in the wrong place or some one had a thread on it I didnt see.

I noticed the new tank enchants on mmochampion earlier. The bracer and weapon enchant are both good (unless you are a lw, in which case only the weapon enchant is good I suppose) and seem like obvious choices for any tank.

The new bs plan (boe) adds 40 sbv to your shield. For mitigation purposes this comes out to 52 sbv talented, 57 after the first shield slam with the glyph. It should also benefit from critical block and shield block, further increasing its value: 114 when one of them is affecting it, 228 when they both do.

When it comes to threat it should provide 69 damage to your shield slams (with glyphs and talents and assuming your def stance penalty is negated by being enraged) or 100 threat on each shield slam. This will also be benefit from the critical block talent and the shield block ability.

The competition this enchantment face is 35 stam (371 hp talented for a warrior, 408 with Kings and talents) and 20 def rating (not sure how much avoidance this translates to, about 1 % before dim returns + sbr? Obviously also helps you gets crit immune). Which one would you rather have?

I realize this enchantment is probably also good for paladins, but I think I read that the rules of these forums frowns upon talking about a class you have not played. I will therefore leave its value to paladins to others

Edit: I just found out the stam enchant may not be in the game atm. I have not been able to play for the past 4 months or so, can some one clear this up? Looking forward to going back shortly after new years

Afaik the new stam enchant is not available or it is hiding very well from the world. Defense to shield is very valuable atm. One of the best slots to have it since the stam alternatives are quite lacking especially post patch once 40 stam to bracer goes in.

Unless the +block value stacks it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if they had a large enough strength enchant or that new stam enchant but certainly not the block value.

I would say it depends on your gear level. if you are holding safely above the def cap then there is no reason to snag the SBV. right now i have a shield spike on mine because i didnt wanna gather mats for defense and then realised, i didnt need it.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

The def enchant gives just under 0,5 % avoidance before dim returns + 0,15 % sbr. Diminishing returns will reduce the value of this enchant as your gear improves while the 20 sbv is an absolute value which only becomes less valuable if the mobs are hitting for less than your sbv, in which case it should be a moot point anyway. It also contributes to damage and threat.

As your avoidance increases it seems to me that the sbv become an increasingly attractive option.

Not only is the avoidance more valuable than the block value there are much better slots you can lose defense from before you would wanna take it off the shield slot. This includes both trinket slots along with the bracer, cloak, and chest enchants and also some key pieces of gear that naturally have less defense but better of other stats like the 400+ armor cloak from naxx 25.

If you're that far above the cap then you are losing effectiveness you could gain by converting defense somewhere else. Shield is one of the best slots for the enchant cause the alternatives are all worse, including this one. If you're really at that much defense and you can't burn it off anywhere else then a shield spike or stamina enchant (Sartharion +3 flame breaths) will do you much more good.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin View Post
    The new bs plan (boe) adds 40 sbv to your shield. For mitigation purposes this comes out to 52 sbv talented, 57 after the first shield slam with the glyph. It should also benefit from critical block and shield block, further increasing its value: 114 when one of them is affecting it, 228 when they both do.
    Sorry to point out, your numbers are far off. Multipliers from talents, Shield Block, Critical Block, the glyph and meta gems stack in an additive manner. At best, you can get 245% added block value. This translates to a maximum total of 138 block value from the plating.

Also, the plating as well as the enchants you mentioned are only on PTR at the moment. They will go live with patch 3.0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Khordam View Post
    Sorry to point out, your numbers are far off. Multipliers from talents, Shield Block, Critical Block, the glyph and meta gems stack in an additive manner. At best, you can get 245% added block value. This translates to a maximum total of 138 block value from the plating.

Also, the plating as well as the enchants you mentioned are only on PTR at the moment. They will go live with patch 3.0.8.
    Thanks for pointing it out, its always better to be corrected than to go around using wrong numbers when determining gear. I am aware they are only on the PTR, but as a long time BS I have a soft spot for the proffesion

Thanks for the replies, I suppose the only place for the new enchant is in a sbv set unless diminishing returns get incredibly bad before the stam enchant is introduced.

I am not actually sure how 40 sbv compares to 20 defense in terms of overall average damage reduction. I would be looking at it purely from a damage reduction point of view, and not threat.

I haven't done the math, although I fully intend to, unless someone else does it first. Ignoring the fact that defense provides crit immunity; naturally if you're not far over the cap, you want to hold on to the defense until you're comfortably over it.

I'm also going to put this here before I forget again (so I can do it when I get home), change my cloak enchant to 225 armor instead of defense.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

I gives us another interesting option and if nothing else, will certainly be handy for a backup shield uded in a battering ram set you equip when OTing a fight like.....umm.....well, sometime, I guess. Oh well, at least it gives options.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Yeah I was thinking of having a backup shield as well. That +SBV shield from Naxx could be for a SBV set, and the KT drop as part of the survival set. Either way, for now I'll get the new enchant since I'm sitting at around 550 def with the def enchant on my current shield.

Id use it like i did in TBC, once you get a good collection of shields, no sense in having them all enchanted the same. I like having 2, SBV for aoe packs and my normal one for dealing with bosses. this way one i dont get bored and 2 making a better well rounded tank. And here soon i hope to have all 3 shields, KT, nax SBV and Maly shields to swap around.

Hmm I guess this would have been much more interesting if it was SBR over SBV eh

+ Reply to Thread