+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Death Knight-with Hungering Cold??

Tank Death Knight-with Hungering Cold??

I was just wondering the actual usefulness of Hungering Cold within raids. It will be my first level capped character I have owned and I will be a tank with the death knight, mostly OT in lower groups since I'm just starting out.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Death Knight -> Talent Calculator

This is the tanking build I have figured out for myself, as I'm hitting it in one level. I don't really post in these forums but I do check on it time to time but I have a question that may have been answered but I'm not sure. At the end of my spec, I have

2/3 Death Rune Mastery with one point to go in either death rune mastery or Hungering Cold. I figure DRM to be a talent that probably makes me more versatile in tanking, but I have never been on a real 10-man raid so I don't know if Hungering Cold is something I will be missing in the future. But if I leave it at 2/3, the way I see it or every time my 66% doesn't proc, it's a waste of 2 talent points. Is there any advice on whether Hungering Cold or maxxing out DRM is the best way to go? Or should I put the DRM talents somewhere else?

Thanks for the help, and I apologize if I made any mistakes.

Last edited by Soulzityr; 12-12-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: to make font color black

no opinions? =/

I would say that most weakness's for tanks are spell casters. DK's are tanks that do well against these mobs and can do just as well with melee mobs. Acclimation in the frost tree is a great talent to help soften some spell damage tanken. Endless winter is more of a pvp talent IMO. Those points could be usefull in another area, possibly chill of the grave.

About hungering cold, it doesnt work on bosses, mostly for trash and pvp. For me thats another point that can be spent elsewhere. For me, I havent really messed with the talents in the blood tree much. One of the great things about DK's is you can be so creative with your build. If it works for you and gets the job done then awesome.

These are just my opinion and in no way are they the "word". Be creative and try what you feel suits you.

I read the thread title and was trying to figure out how a DK got Kel loot from the old version of Naxx.

Death rune mastery is relatively useless to you, as you're just going to convert frost and unholy runes from obliterate and use them as frost and unholy runes again. Its a talent to support heart strike.

If you can get a shaman to drop windfury for you, you can save those 6 points in icy talons. Haste has a limited effect on death knights, more so for tanking ones.

In their place I would pick up glacier rot, icy reach and chill of the grave. That leaves you 3 extra points... I would recommend morbidity, giving you 10 points in unholy and unlocking Corpse explosion which is being improved considerably next patch. If not, Acclimation is another good choice.

Mm thanks for the advice. I shifted things around a bit and came up with

I had respecced as the 12/52/7 spec
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/4...rotations.html found here and I decided that I don't really need Rune Tap. I took your advice but not with icy reach, since we don't really have shamans in our guild and I don't know how any of it is going to work out as of yet. That last point in Corpse Explosion was based on your recommendation, but so far I'm still not real confident that I'd prefer it over Rune Tap. My current spec has Acclimation but I don't see how it's beneficial, but that's probably due to inexperience and my consistent lack of procs in every game I play. Thanks for the advice so far =]

I quite like hungering cold, for 5-mans. It's a great 'oh s%$$€' button to have when you accidentally get two packs or your healer is silenced. You basically do an AOE crowd-control, it's handy.

Corpse Explosion is good aoe, Acclimation is good in 5-mans but not so good in raids. Acclimation though it's good; it's points are better spent elsewhere most of the time.

alright thanks =]

i dont think im going to take corpse explosion over rune tap though, as i do still have the glyph for it and find it a handy way to stay up and help the healer a little with the spiky damage. morbidity is imp tho

Try the PTR version of corpes explosion, you might find it worthwhile.

whats PTR?

I've been tanking a bit with Hungering Cold and i say it's not worth it.

Sure it's cool when that odd time you got a ninjapull and can istantly freeze everything... too bad the random AoE which is flying (and you know there is one) will break it one second after). Also 60 runic power is a excessive cost.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

this is unholy. sorry i guess i'll use this topic to keep track of the specs i make lol

my frost

The PTR is the public test realm.

As for your frost spec in your last post, I would probably have dropped bladded armor for Blood of the north. With that, youd be able to convert your blood runes into death runes giving you an extra oblit, with the right rotation and you can get as many as 5 oblit's in before needing to re-apply icy touch and plague strike. I would also recommend that if your only doing 5 man heroics, for now unless you have a pally or shammy in the group, to stick with Acclimation. It increases my resistance to a school of magic to as high as 230. Very handy when doing H HoL, H AN, or H Old Kingdom. Deathchill is a nice talent, but with the long CD, I dont find it usefull as a tank. It can give me a spike in dps or threat every 2 min, just not much use, that point could be spent elsewhere. I do however like to keep icy talons, you dont wanna too many def abilities or youll really hurt your dps/threat gen. This is one of the problems I feel that most frost DK's come across is that there are soo many nice Def abilities in the frost tree that they forget about their dps/threat.

The most important thing I think you should do, is try things out yourself, find what you like and what works best for you. The whole point of DK's is creativity and flexability. I love to see other builds, it lets me see what other people are thinkin about and because there is no 'set' path for DK's to spec, there are limitless possibilities.

Yeah I agree. I've been testing my tank spec and

This has what I want. Good call on the Deathchill talent. I don't even use it every 2 minutes, though it's nice to see 4k crits on group mobs. I dont know if necrossis or 2-handed specializaion is better, but I went with necrosis. Blood of the North so I'm not constantly waiting for my frost runes

My thing is should i stack necrosis 5/5 or go Outbreak 3/3 and 2 Hand 2/2 because seeing as how I'm trying to use blood runes less with blood of the north its pointless to buff up my blood casts though they are still the core of building up dps.

TO SUM IT UP: You shouldn't ever need hungering cold. ever. im a dk tank myself and with it all it does is freeze your opponent for <1 second, if theres ever any use for it, you'll be AoEing anyway, thus freeing all the mobs, if its a caster, 99% chance they're out of range, and if its single target, you obviously won't need it you can close it now!

Btw, offtanks often have the harder more demanding role these days, in regards to your OT comment.

Hungering Cold was loads of useful on faction champs. I can't think of any other good uses off-hand unless you're in one of those guilds that uses a dk to snare adds on saurfang.

Biggest down-side is you need to glyph because timing it is critical and tanks have a hard time holding 60rp.

I like HC, for 5mans at least. The thing w/ Frost is there's 1 pt left over after you've got all the threat/survival talents. You can put it in Deathchill, Lichborne, Rune Tap, or HC.

I used to run w/ DC, but it's 2m cd makes it meh, since Frost w/ Killing Machine crits so much anyway.

RT without 3/3 Improved RT is meh. 1m cd, doesn't heal much. If you need it you're probably going to die anyway.

Lichborne is meh too. Works on some fears, not on others. Works on Paletress's minion's Nightmare, but not on King Dred or Onyxia, or alot of other fears. 2m cd also. Meh.

HC's 1m cooldown makes it frequently usable, the main detriment is you pretty much have to glyph it.

But what does HC do? Mass CC's for 10s. Interupts casts. Applies Frost Fever to all mobs in range, setting them up for a Glacier-Rot and Tundra-Stalker buffed HB.

Now that I significantly outgear 5mans, it lets me make pulls twice the normal size, and control them better when necessary.

Dunno about using it in raids, other than Faction Champs, since I spec Blood for that.

The link doesn't work, Hungering cold is useful for fraction champion, but it doesn't matter even if you dun have it.
    It is better to spend the one point on Death rune mastery.

I had Hungering Cold in my build for a while in Ulduar and was pretty disappointed with it. It is really nice on Faction Champions but I could hardly find a use for it otherwise in raiding.

On almost every fight with adds, the mechanic is "Burst them down before X happens" not "CC them until Y happens"

And half the stuff you'd want to use it on, like Rotface oozes, it doesn't work on. At least I think it doesn't work on oozes.

+ Reply to Thread