+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mobs moving around/behind tanks

mobs moving around/behind tanks

has any one else noticed that in WotLK mobs are moving around to your sides and behind you a lot more than they did before?

I find my self walking backwards for most of pulls trying to keep things in front of me.

also I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, I figure its a theory so ill put it in theorycraft =).

has any one else noticed that in WotLK mobs are moving around to your sides and behind you a lot more than they did before?
    yes

What I can't stand is when mobs run through me and get behind me. I take a couple steps back and am visually in front of them, then they run through me again...very annoying.

we had so many wipes due to those buggy hitboxes ...
    grob sometimes just turns and casts acid into the raid
    and sartharion or rather his adds are so horrible to tank
    one time sartharion walked through me and i had to turn him around
    but even worse are his adds..
    they just randomly fly trough the raid while opening portals ( somehow triggered buggy event or sth ) and when you are unlucky they make a breath into the raid (btw while this event is triggered you cant tps omg ! )
    and similiar to sartharion they walk through you, turn around and when you are unlucky they breath into the melees :/

I am glad to see its not only me.
    god yeah i've had some issues with grob not wanting to play well with me. also every time i pull maex she pulls up to me i turn her around and she acts normal then 2-3 seconds later she VERY slowly walks away from me for 3-5 seconds then turns around and starts whacking me again. (both times i've done her)

Quote Originally Posted by Disruptor View Post
    we had so many wipes due to those buggy hitboxes ...
    grob sometimes just turns and casts acid into the raid
    Grobbulus will turn around whenever and face whomever he is casting Mutating Injection on. When he does this, he can also cast the Slime Cone, so occasionally it will hit all your melee.

But, hit boxes do appear to be less manageable in terms of mob positioning, especially in groups. However, on the other side, some mobs have abilities to move behind you, as well.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

I haven't had a terrible time with it, at least not more than before, but I have seen the hitbox finnickiness. With a warrior I've found it manageable with a well-placed shockwave.

Grobb is just annoying, and I'm hoping to see that fixed in a patch, the whole issue where he turns to inject someone then sprays the whole melee section spawning adds is surely not 'as intended.'
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Same issues here as well. Really noticeable when doing 3 drake Sarth and can lead to many raid deaths because of how they path around randomly on the fight area.

I actually made a post on the bug report forums a while ago hoping to maybe get some sort of response, but who knows :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bayho View Post
    Grobbulus will turn around whenever and face whomever he is casting Mutating Injection on. When he does this, he can also cast the Slime Cone, so occasionally it will hit all your melee.
    You can compare that with the triggered event of the sarth adds.
    But im talking about the problem while you kite him.
    Sometimes if you walk backwards some yards, he follows you so close that he has to turn around and move a bit to fix his hitbox. While this he may spray into the melees.
    To avoid it you have to make a kind of breakdance that he follows you on a certain distance and does not walk in you.

Ah, okay. I have had little issue with the walking backwards and keeping him from turning around to walk back, so I wonder what is causing that. I have, however, had issues with him, and other mobs, seemingly readjusting the angle from which they are attacking you from at random. It usually occurs during moving the boss, and settles after he will readjust from different angles, so it is hard to keep him facing the same direction if you get into this pattern. However, a good rule of thumb, I have found, is that when you get him settled, or just about settled (when he stops moving to hit you), back up just a touch more, not too far, so that you are still in his hit box. The problem with positioning seems to center around the central point of the boss. If you are too close to it, than the readjusting of the mob takes place. Large bosses with large hit boxes do not seem to really have this issue, because there can be a great deal of distance between the actual midpoint and the tank. Whereas smaller bosses, in terms of radius of the hitbox, the tanks get closer to the midpoint which causes the readjustment of the mob.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

I can confirm this annoying issue with the sarth adds. I'll be tanking them, and several times I see "target eneds to be in front of you". Somewhat annoying, but I just make do by tab targeting and backpedaling.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Drakes are definitely the biggest offenders of this. The stupid drake rider near the end of Utgarde Keep is probably the worst mob in the game for this with Sartharion's drakes coming in a close 2nd. The drakes earlier in Utgarde Keep are pretty annoying too. I certainly wouldn't mind them making these mobs a little less annoying if they could.

All movement issues with mobs are caused due to their hitboxes being too small. Any mob with a medium or large hitbox is much easier to control. They need to significantly increase the hitbox of Grobbulus, and all drakes, to begin with.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Dear god, in Violet Hold I spend so much time running around in circles trying to reposition. I was beginning to doubt my sanity because I never hear people complain about this the way I do.

Seen this alot myself...

Don't forget that most every Caster DPS has some type of knockback AND THEY USE IT BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S COOL!!

I kick people from groups now, after a wipe in Heroic Strat when a Druid typhooned 5 elite mobs behind me and they proceeded to work me with no lube.

Agree heavily on drakes, its really annoying to tank Sarth's adds and not get the melee toasted with all that moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandon View Post
    Seen this alot myself...

Don't forget that most every Caster DPS has some type of knockback AND THEY USE IT BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S COOL!!

I kick people from groups now, after a wipe in Heroic Strat when a Druid typhooned 5 elite mobs behind me and they proceeded to work me with no lube.

I've started doing this too because the same thing happened to me in heroic UK when i was tanking 4 adds and a druid whom i told repeatedly to stop, decided to knock 4 mobs right behind me just as i got them all arranged, which managed to instant kill me.. I have started telling people now after the first time they use it.. "That was your one time, remove the spell from your bar now so you dont 'accidently hit it' or i'll remove you from my group. take your pick" sooooooooooooooooo annoying.

As for the thread... I've seen this problem occur alot in violet hold with the dragon legion groups. Not talking about the mobs that teleport behind you (the stalkers) just the groups in general not wanting to cooperate. Sucks having to blow shockwave just to make them stand still while i back up to position...just so they can teleport behind me again lol
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

in heroics, I found myself walking backwards in little circles a lot. this way, all mobs tend to stay in front of me, while I don't move them out of volley/hurricane. Shame for the melees though if they can't keep up :P

that one sartharion drake is 100% bugged, does it from time to time.
    grob was explained already (turns to cast his debuff).
    maex walking away from you slowly for 3-5seconds: you got to close to her, stand back some yards you dont have to worry about the spiders.
    all the other mobs are just annoying. especially if their intend is to run right through me ... usually i just tank them into another direction (moving 90), this should fix it. cant do that with boses, though
    didnt have any problems in utgarde with drakes yet ...

See the funny thing about maex, on the pull i heroic throw/charge, then walk backwards untill she turns around then go a couple more feet then stop. (I think the issue is the fact that I'm Tauren). I like some of these answers I am seeing from people here, some ideas i havn't thought of but generally the answer seems to be, it sucks but walk backwards.

I think that we need to bring this on the blizz forums and see if we can get any feedback from a Dev, this is a minor issue that has a rather large impact on gameplay and enjoyment. It not only hurts tanks by making them work harder, but also melee dps who get to play follow the leader. (also those situations where your rooted or stuned and half the group walks behind you and rapes you and then wam free wipe that shouldn't have happened).

however I would like to disagree with those who get aggravated with knock backs, generally speaking they help positioning if its well placed and angled. really what do you find so terrible about knock backs that you kick people from your groups? it helps you take less damage, and the mobs come right back to you. maybe its that I only have knock backs happen in guild groups from our ele shaman or that i have an ele shaman alt, but i find knock backs a very useful tool and quite entertaining to watch even from a tanking perspective.

+ Reply to Thread