+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arcane-Shielded Helm vs. Tempered Titansteel Helm

Arcane-Shielded Helm vs. Tempered Titansteel Helm

Its amazing what you can do with a little patience. Because I took it a little easy on the level grind to accomodate my wife, I spent time working on my Blacksmithing and was able to craft Titansteel gear by the time I was level 76 or so. As such, I had the ha waiting for me.

The head slot has always been tough for me to fill either by dumb luck or otherwise. I came into WotLK rocking T4 so I was eager to upgrade.

The Nexus was not high on my list of heroics to run because the Red Sword, Bolstered Legplates and other assorted epics drop elsewhere. However, being that Nexus is relatively easy, 5 badges, and nice upgrades for others, I have been spending alot of time there and in fact, picked up the ASH.

Ok, so.....

I'm torn. Assuming proper gemming, I end up trading 13 stamina and 2 defense rating for about 300 armor and 52 dodge rating by going from epic to rare. I think its pretty apparent what I should do. ~130hp isn't much to give up for that much dodge and I get back armor for flat mitigation (from the Austere ESD) the Defense is negligible but I'm well over 540 anyway.

thoughts?
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Arcane-Shielded Helm is amazing!
    I was gathering the mats to craft Titansteel Helm, but happened to drop this on another "I NEED THE HEALER MACE FROM NEXUS" run. Very good stats for a blue, replaced my ZA helm

Thane's Tainted Greathelm would be the upgrade from Naxx10
    [Tank Addict]

I am a little baffled as to why the Spiked Titansteel helm got a meta slot while the tank version did not.

If I can get my grubby mitts on Thane's lid, this all goes out the window but I ahve assembled for my 10 man a pretty weak group still gearing up. 25 man is a different story, we'll find out tomorrow.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

yeh the tanking titansteel helm's lack of meta slot or gem slot makes me rethink making it, I think I'll craft my shield and gun for the ASH or Ley-Guardian's? I think it's called from Occulus? to replace my t5 (surprisingly lasting a long time since I have it gemmed and enchanted well).

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It was the same thing in BC as far as crafted helms, too - remember the Helm of the Stalwart Defender? And the confusing stats of both defense and resilience? Versus the engineering goggles, it was a joke item.

Now we're in the same place once again. I dropped engineering on my warrior and leveled mining so that I could hit mining nodes with the only character I have with epic flying, and get my BS pieces (helm, shield, boots) crafted. Now that I have the helm and shield, and most of what I need for the boots, I'm almost beginning to regret having done it.

Oh, well. Maybe if I can get my other miner epic flight (only 4500g left to go), I'll switch again. But it's kind of not worth the effort, since both crafted helms can be replaced so easily...

The ASH is awesome and in the top 3-4 piecse on my heroic "to-get" list; IMO it's much better than the "epic" craftable helm. Also (to be vein) the crafted on looks like crap.

I'm still using my T4 helm too as an agro piece (seriously, I've worn that thing for so long I think I'll have an identity crisis when it finally gets retired) but am using the one form normal Occulus now for boss tanking.

I've spent a lot of time leveling BSing too, but it appears from a gear point of view is was more helpful in the levelling process then it will be for raiding. With the helm out of the picture I'm just crafting the epic feet (I can spare the defense and I need the armor and HP) and shield at this point (I need to make one more piece of titansteel and I have all the mats already).

And then farming mats for my shotgun

I am a titansteel bar cooldown away from making that helm. Strongly considering just doing more Nexus or Gun'drak for either Arcane Shield Helm, or Ground Tremor Helm.

Maybe i'll hit Nexus when I get home and if it drops.. sweet! And if not I'll craft it and not worry so much. My goal is to get rolling in Naxx so I'm not wanting to spend ages farming heroics when it's all going to be replaced. Having said that, I can't get a god damned thing I want/need to actually drop.. GRRRR!

IMO, scrap the plans for the Tempered Titansteel Helm. Craft the Titansteel Shield Wall instead, or sell the mats towards your Epic gun (assuming warrior). Heroic Nexus drops the Arcane-Shielded Helm, and with that instance layout, you can skip the other bosses and go straight to the Grand Magister.

I'm pretty happy with my A-SH, and don't see myself replacing it until Thane's Tainted Greathelm or even the T7 Helm.

heh, /hide helm FTW.

Yeah, I think I am going to go ahead and do it and hope I get a crack at one of the better pieces. I hate to lose stamina but if I'm going to go hard for the trinket, I might as well take the hit now.

the extra gem slots are a pretty good incentive for being a BS and the belt buckles will always have a market. Other than that, its pretty useless since everything is BoE. I thought we were going to get a meta slot ability but that hasn't panned out.

Yeah, that ASH is pretty nice. I recently got the helm from heroic Sapphiron, and almost didn't bother to use it over the ASH. The +100 Str is pretty nice though, even without a meta gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    heh, /hide helm FTW.
    Yeah...I do this for a lot of my other toons, but somehow it just feels wrong to be taking massive blows from bosses and not have anything on my head.

u

At really low gear levels (3-4 epics max), the titansteel helm will provide more survivability.

Once you get a handful of epics, the meta gem really starts to shine and the A-SH will surpass it fairly quickly. I made the decision to pass on the Titansteel Helm, and never looked back. Now that I got the Helm of Vital Protection, I'm happier then ever with money in my pocktet!

I'm not at all impressed with crafted tanking boots either. There's a few pair of equivalent or better boots in some of the heroics.

I think at this point its a wash for the most part. I'm doing Naxx 25 tonight and naxx 10 Sunday/Monday. i have the Tempered Titansteel Helm with the AC enchant so I'll just gut it out till a better item drops.

The ASH is indeed very nice and I am farming it since I dinged 80...

But for whatever reason it refuses to drop for me.

I was very lucky with drops so far, so I guess thats now the price I got to pay.

Still using my Battleworn Tuskguard.

Still using my Battleworn Tuskguard.
    until Sunday for me. "I need a new hat" I thought to myself. I have Engineering at 378. I could just power level that and be ready for naxx 10 tonight with a new hat of sexytank.

SO i hit the AH and spend 3K gold on the Cobalt/Saronite and what not. (anyone need a Gnomish Army Knife - Item - World of Warcraft ?) Alright...Good bye Battleworn.... Hello new Engineering Goggles.

Since my bank account says I have about 50G left so I run out to Sholazar and start doing quests and farming crystals with my mote extractor. Suddenly I get a tell from a buddy who is stuck in a Heroic Nexus Pug with a retarded tank and slightly jumpy Warlock and begs me to come to the instance. I decline telling him how broke I am. He offers me a hundy and quick summons. I say Alright.

Go to the instance and not knowing what could drop or anything about the bosses. First boss we come to is the Mage that throws you around the room. We drop her and what drops? Arcane-Shielded Helm - Item - World of Warcraft

/cry
    /beg for cash

Well I could use Arcane Shielded Hat for my avoidance set.
    Last edited by Brucimus; 12-16-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Can anyone confirm this?? Temepered Titansteel helm is getting meta socket, and blue socket in this next patch.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=8

if this is true with 32 stam meta 24 stam blue gem and arcanum of the stalwart protector this is a whopping 255 stam

According to Wilhelm's post on the WoW Professions forum, Tempered Titansteel Helm - Item - World of Warcraft has gained a meta and a blue socket with a 6 defense rating socket bonus on the PTR. I haven't had a chance to verify it, but if it's true the blacksmithing helm becomes much more attractive.

-edit-

Wow, I don't know how I managed to miss Junkyard's post :/
    Last edited by Caireagin; 12-16-2008 at 10:41 AM.

That is slated to take effect today?

Quote Originally Posted by TomHuxley View Post
    That would be mega-huge if true
    If it is true I don't think there is a helm in game currently that you get more stam out of. If we can get a definite confirmation I will be making one tonight or tomorrow.

ok so with the changes the tempered titansteel helm with the right gems and enchants will have
    72 defense rating
    255 Stamina omg!!!
    There isn't a blue helm in game that will even come close. It's nice blizz saw the need to change this a bit.
    Last edited by Junkyard; 12-16-2008 at 11:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread