+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Death Knight Threat...discussion/concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Device442 View Post
    No Lichborne, Ravenous Dead?

Ravenous Dead = STM, STR (AP/Parry)

and Lichborne for the self heal as well as a SHTF button..

as for Reaping, with my rotation I never really come up with a rune down.. never needed it I suppose..

I will give the spec a try, I know the trinks are crap but trust me better then what I had.

Def is @ soft cap, but its 554 effective combat. should I put more into it or just start building Hp to absorb big hits.

also AMZ is absolute garbage, if I was DPS I would take it to support but as a tank its not my problem.
    You're absolutely right about AMZ being garbage. It does nothing to prevent damage to DPS from scions during a 6 min maly kill when they're going all out on the spark buff. It also doesn't prevent a fully buffed Sartharion breath from killing you while reducing all magic damage you take by 5% at all times.

Oh wait, AMZ does both of those things.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Can't say I have been taken out by breath, but aside from a difference of opinion on worth of AMZ over AMS.. How about the other points..

Should I be going for more then 554 Def? over HP..

Also why the Removal of Lichborne?

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...at-values.html

is this still accurate?

Looking over this list again I see that I can remove Desecration from the build.
    Last edited by Device442; 03-11-2009 at 03:10 PM.

AMZ and AMS are on different cooldowns so they're not to be compared. They are two different tools to mitigate or eliminate magic damage. When doing Sartharion3D his breaths get big enough to 1 shot a tank. Both AMZ and AMS prevents that from happening. A neat trick you can do with talented AMS is staying in and dpsing Saphirron during his breath. Spell immunity rocks.

Defense is always good. When I armoried you you were at 541 defense, just barely over cap and utilizing 16 defense gems along with Stoneskin to achieve that number. It's low but that can be fixed with upgrades such as Malygos' legs and Repelling Charge.

Lichborne requires you to waste 2 talent points to acquire (3 points total) and I don't find it very usefull. In the patch the 25% miss will be removed from Lichborn, might as well get used to it now. Oh and the healing aspect of Lichborne is terrible, if you have to heal yourself while tanking, you need to find better healers.

Good threat/DPS comes from proper rotations and talent/build synergy. Your current talent build was missing both. I can guarantee that once you're using the right rotation, and even with the addition of Vicious Strikes that you will see a threat and DPS increase which brings me to reaping. Reaping allows you to get in extra Scourge Strikes which means more threat and damage.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    AMZ and AMS are on different cooldowns so they're not to be compared. They are two different tools to mitigate or eliminate magic damage. When doing Sartharion3D his breaths get big enough to 1 shot a tank. Both AMZ and AMS prevents that from happening. A neat trick you can do with talented AMS is staying in and dpsing Saphirron during his breath. Spell immunity rocks.

Defense is always good. When I armoried you you were at 541 defense, just barely over cap and utilizing 16 defense gems along with Stoneskin to achieve that number. It's low but that can be fixed with upgrades such as Malygos' legs and Repelling Charge.

Lichborne requires you to waste 2 talent points to acquire (3 points total) and I don't find it very usefull. In the patch the 25% miss will be removed from Lichborn, might as well get used to it now. Oh and the healing aspect of Lichborne is terrible, if you have to heal yourself while tanking, you need to find better healers.

Good threat/DPS comes from proper rotations and talent/build synergy. Your current talent build was missing both. I can guarantee that once you're using the right rotation, and even with the addition of Vicious Strikes that you will see a threat and DPS increase which brings me to reaping. Reaping allows you to get in extra Scourge Strikes which means more threat and damage.
    6 point sink is debatable, but it isn't really that worth it to me. More or less its a situational talent (hence respecing for Sarth is generally a good thing). It seems like that your healers can't keep up on malygos if they need a AMZ to achieve a 6 minute malygos.

Device, as inaara said, a good start is getting yourself a bit more geared will add loads of threat to the rotations he suggested. Macro'n Rune Strike to every part of your rotation is also another way to consolidate rotations.

Also I capped the expertise cap at 57 in my threat set and the threat was sure as hell good, however, you sacrifice alot (in terms of mitigation and EH) hitting the cap. As Inaara suggested, the soft cap of expertise should be a good starting point, another suggestion would be to get yourself close to the 7% hit cap (assuming since you raid with a draenei, 7% + 1%).

I also would like to point out something to anyone reading in this thread to confirm/deny this. Lately i've been testing out dodge/stam gems (as you can see in my current gear), with the intention of creating every white swing a rune strike proc. Granted DR's will not make it 100% feasable, however its something i've been testing and so far its positive. The only problem i'm finding is not being able to keep a 100% uptime on UB. As to what extent on how its affecting my threat, it seems dismal. After I get a parse of a nax run from yesterday i'll hopefully be able to break it down a bit more.
    Last edited by codeviper; 03-12-2009 at 12:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread