+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Essence of Gossamer vs Valor Medal

My Armory

Before getting my hands on the Crab, I really debated using Valor Medal in place of Essence. I too cling tightly to the old EH theory. These days, however, I'm putting some real thought into perhaps a threat-enhancing trinket on the Crab slot. There are several choices to make, and so many factors to consider.

If your avoidance is solid, I would use Essence over Valor medal. If you have low dodge, I would say it was worth it to use the Valor Medal until you get your hands on some gear with stronger avoidance, then make the switch.

Off topic: The JC trinket rocks. I levelled JC for the gems, not even realizing the power of the Figurine. Something worth looking into if you still have an open profession slot, or if you've got something you aren't happy with.

I'm having a similar issue:
    I have 29.8k hp, and around 21.3% dodge (both unbuffed of course).
    I'm still sporting the bloody commendation of kael'thas (together with the essence) and was wondering if I should replace it with the valor trinket?

Kinda stupid I'm still using a heroic lvl 70 trinket while I have full valorous XD
    I'm a pally by the way.

For that amount of hp, your dodge seems very low. I'm at 28.7k hp and 24% dodge. I'm not looking to raise it any much higher because of DR, but I've found that dodge % to be just about right to tank 25 mans.

Remember that, no mather what your passive avoidance is, you are gonna need to have INSANE amounts of HP to survive Malygos heroic or a possible Sartharion 3D, so keep all your trinkets handy.

For my personal preference, atm gearing is totally reversed as it was in TBC. On those times, avoidance was very high and you usually needed more Effective Health and mitigation. Now you have insane amounts of EH but very low avoidance, so gemming and gearing is usually done towards threat and avoidance. Nothing else.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    Remember that, no mather what your passive avoidance is, you are gonna need to have INSANE amounts of HP to survive Malygos heroic or a possible Sartharion 3D, so keep all your trinkets handy.

For my personal preference, atm gearing is totally reversed as it was in TBC. On those times, avoidance was very high and you usually needed more Effective Health and mitigation. Now you have insane amounts of EH but very low avoidance, so gemming and gearing is usually done towards threat and avoidance. Nothing else.
    Basically what this person said.

Malygos and multidrake sarth are the ONLY challenging fights in the game atm. Anything else you could socket str/crit gems and do just fine. So quibbling over a detail like which trinket is irrelevent. On malygos and sarth you won't be wearing valor medal, you'll be wearing EoG. I have 30.5k unbuffed HP, I had 29.xk last week. Higher than yours. Last week I had to tank sarth while we where attempting 3D sarth. The breath was sufficient to ONE shot me from 100%-0% during the second drake portal phase.

To me it's simple the only progression fights at this point are maly and sarth. Both of which do huge burst damage cone breaths. Dodge isn't going to help you there.

I was expecting to see more posts about the great comedy that the Gossamer trinket's buff provides. I've heard people hitting for ridiculously high amounts of damage. Not quite on par as reflecting an Old Kingdom shadow blast of killing an OT'd Razsuvious DK Understudy after Raz dies, but like 20-30k hits.

I'd use the trinket just for that because I think the fun factor is totally worth any loss and it's not like it's gonna kill me if I downgraded (I use Valor Medal and the JC trinket atm). I eventually want to get repelling charge and darkmoon card: greatness one day though.

if your not wearing both trinkets, what are you wearing? Just curious.... I want the epic defense trinket for my set (dont have yet) and i am thinking of picking up the badge dps trinket for running heroics and when i occasionally respec dps...

We kill malygos every week with a 27k hp tank. 3 drake sarth is next. Having 30k hp for either is not a requirement just makes it a bit easier

The key is to switch out your trinkets according to what you need.

on fights where I need lots of hp (spell damage, or large burst) i put on the old Commendation (stam and auto dodge is nice) and essence of gossamer for an awesome 168 stam boost.

on fights where I value more avoidance, I put on my Repelling Charge, and I'll probably pick up the valor medal (which i've held off on grabbing so far) to give me lots of avoidance.

AoE/Threat fights I put on Lavanthor's Talisman for sbv/sbr goodness + whatever trinket I feel like.

In general I use the Repelling Charge + Essence of Gossamer. But changing according to the fight will be key.

21-22% dodge, 17.0-17.5% parry, 15-20% block, 26-27.5k hp are the ranges I dance between.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I've been on a upgrade spree these 2 weeks and was sitting on 29k hp, 26% dodge, 18% parry, 25% block, and then realise... (and if you'd told me this 1 year ago, I'd never have believed you) that I had too much avoidance. ><

So I dropped the Valor Medal in favour of the engineering trinket Sonic Booster for an extra 81 stamina. I wish there were better trinkets for the extra health boost as I'm still trying to push for 40k hp buffed when we are ready to do Sarth + 3.

+ Reply to Thread