+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hit cap really worth it for prot warrior?

Its a vital stat for any tank..if not now it will be in the future.

with that said..hit does come plenty in tank pieces..and I see 4 good plate tanking pieces with expertise(ilvl 213)..I think soft capping expertise would be easy.

I MT > 4hour naxx clears on 25 man but still yet to see problems in my threat(cept when the melee decides to kill spores next to me at the very start).

IMO worry about normal gear..and hit and expertise will be there.

DPS worry about reaching the CAP because hit provides far more dps increase then any other stat untill they reach it.

For tanks, threat is a bonus, it is not the core of what we do.
    Trying to reach expertise (soft or hard) or hit CAP should never be something you aim for. As said in other replies, most tank gear have sufficient hit and expertise and you should aim to have a "good amount" of it. If that is the cap or not, it is irrelevent, unless you are going for max dps while tanking.

ive found that threat stats are hugely important now...if your raid has 3 rogues using a clever use of game mechanics with the HAT bug right now youll see them riding your ass threat wise....here's our guilds last patchwerk and u can see the dps our top 5 were doing...there was terrible server lag that day so itll be even higher next week

Wow Web Stats

I am only at about 6% to hit or so and have MT'd everything short of 25 mans content in the wrath without a problem. In boss fights I don't miss on any abilities. Because of all of the rage-saving talents like sword and board and the revenge glyph, I am able to spam heroic strike constantly during these fights and never even land a white hit. So while hit is nice, I value expertise well above hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblight View Post
    I would have to disagree. I'm in full 80 epic's except for my trinket's and I'm still sitting at 165 hit rating with the hit cap being 295 that isn't all that easy to achieve unless you where solely going for it. After looking at my WWS for Patchwerk and Loatheb I noticed that my miss % was around 16% across the board so adding up all those misses on all my abilities I see where I would have done a lot more dmg overrall.

What I am trying to figure out is should I spend dkp on the "dps" tank gear or go for the gear with more mitigation type stat's and then when I have all the survival gear I want then spend my dkp on tank gear to solely raise my damage done.

I see a lot of tank's(on my server) stacking +hit gem's and I don't understand why it seem's like you would be better off using a +str gem at least you get some block out of it and a dps increase and if you are trying to fill a yellow socket why not go with champion monarch topaz(+str/+def).

When it comes to gem's I do understand that it's more of a preferance then anything. Just seem's to me like a lot of tank's are still gemming like it was last xpac when you really needed to get to the hit cap to stay ahead of the dps.
    You can armory me, I don't have 1 piece of t7 and I'm in heroic gear, one piece from nax and I'm at 250 hit and more if I swap a few pieces out. It's easy to get hit.

Last edited by Zartanchi; 12-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaern View Post
    I am only at about 6% to hit or so and have MT'd everything short of 25 mans content in the wrath without a problem. In boss fights I don't miss on any abilities.
    Could you explain me how you dont miss on any styles since stylehitcap is 9% and Imp FF or anything just works for spells ?

Quote Originally Posted by Disruptor View Post
    Could you explain me how you dont miss on any styles since stylehitcap is 9% and Imp FF or anything just works for spells ?
    Unfortunately, no I can't. To be honest, I am only starting to learn the why's behind the buttons I push to tank. That's why i am on this site trying to figure it all out. What I can tell you is that looking at recount after just about every boss fight for the last 2 naxx 10-man raids tells me that I don't miss. I imagine that I would be missing plenty of white hits, but as I said I don't really use any white hits since all of my GCDs on boss fights are filled up with HS.

No one should be capping hit just for Taunt. If it's so important for you just buy the glyph for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinsmain View Post
    ive found that threat stats are hugely important now...if your raid has 3 rogues using a clever use of game mechanics with the HAT bug right now youll see them riding your ass threat wise....here's our guilds last patchwerk and u can see the dps our top 5 were doing...there was terrible server lag that day so itll be even higher next week

Wow Web Stats
    I'm sorry but relying on a bug to manage threat is not a good solution. It's like those pallies who did awesome threat by abusing back to back shield throws, now that bug has been fixed and now what? They have to learn to do things right anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaern View Post
    Unfortunately, no I can't. To be honest, I am only starting to learn the why's behind the buttons I push to tank. That's why i am on this site trying to figure it all out. What I can tell you is that looking at recount after just about every boss fight for the last 2 naxx 10-man raids tells me that I don't miss. I imagine that I would be missing plenty of white hits, but as I said I don't really use any white hits since all of my GCDs on boss fights are filled up with HS.
    Sounds like luck to me.
    Actually i capped hit now and its 8%.
    Proven with many webstats and recount logs.

Sounds like luck to me.
    Actually i capped hit now and its 8%.
    Proven with many webstats and recount logs.
    TBC Hit cap was 9% for specials, WoTLK it's still 9% for specials proven by this site and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steakums View Post
    TBC Hit cap was 9% for specials, WoTLK it's still 9% for specials proven by this site and many others.

only this site has proven along with many others that the hit cap is now 8%

testing which i also partook in and my results concur with this finding.

I would prefer getting dodge expertise cap and stylehitcap...
    Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure that 1handed hit cap and style hit cap are the same being 9% or 296 hit rating. For me I've found that if you pick the right gear you will easily reach hit cap (soft cap if you're alliance and are blessed w/ a good amount of draenei) while still maintaining great avoidance, health and expertise. I sit at 38 expertise, 37k HP and 6.5/25/21/17 avoidance when fully buffed in raids. My threat and DPS are great and healers don't seem to have any issues keeping me alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gneecapper View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure that 1handed hit cap and style hit cap are the same being 9% or 296 hit rating. For me I've found that if you pick the right gear you will easily reach hit cap (soft cap if you're alliance and are blessed w/ a good amount of draenei) while still maintaining great avoidance, health and expertise. I sit at 38 expertise, 37k HP and 6.5/25/21/17 avoidance when fully buffed in raids. My threat and DPS are great and healers don't seem to have any issues keeping me alive.
    you are mistaken, Hit cap is 8% now. Unless my 10000 auto attacks against a dummy i am just that lucky

Taunt being on hit rating explains so much for me with some recent 'taunt ignores' that have been bothering me.

I've given up a lot of hit for expertise and avoidance and may need to rethink my gear choices.

One thing I'm doing asap is changing my Mongoose enchant to Accuracy.
    Last edited by Kilrath; 01-19-2009 at 08:04 AM.

That's the thing that is always in my mind. You can talk about the relative values of hit and expertise vs other stats for threat and survival, and those discussions are useful. But think back to those situations where things have gone wrong:
    - a string of missed/dodged/parried attacks when engaging
    - taunt resists (e.g. brutallus)
    - thunderclap resists (hard to notice that one in a group of mobs has 0 threat)

I am a big fan of both hit and expertise for the reliability they bring, and hope that the bosses in Ulduar don't hit so hard that we have to trade those stats for stacking avoidance/stam.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I'm sorry but relying on a bug to manage threat is not a good solution. It's like those pallies who did awesome threat by abusing back to back shield throws, now that bug has been fixed and now what? They have to learn to do things right anyways.
    He was referring to the rogues in his group using the HAT bug to do silly amounts of DPS. So he has to stack threat gear to stay ahead of them, he was not relying on a bug to do more threat or have the dps do less threat.

For me, I look for hit gear, but if i have an upgrade that is large enough in survivability, yea I'll drop the hit for it. I can partially supplement this with trinket choices and stat food. Hit food for fights where I need the extra threat, Agi food for fights where threat isn't an issue but the boss hits hard, and Str food for anything in between or heroics. I'd maintain a stack of expertise food, but i find fishing much less time consuming than farming meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gneecapper View Post
    In my opinion most of tanking problems can be solved by timing.
    Im enjoying the best tanking gear ingame ( when it comes to survivability ) and most of these items have a great amount of expertise. Im usually tanking the 3 adds of Sartharion ( hard mode ) and especially for the first add you need a huge TPS. When my first SS hits, i usually wait till all debuffs appear and cast Recklessness for TPS spikes of 14-15 k TPS. That gives me at least a TPS advantage of 100k and no DD will reach my aggro. I do not worry about Malygos TPS because we usually stack the adds.
    Otherwise you have to use some tricks to stay first in aggro. Recklessness, Retaliation and maybe SBV trinket or TotT (
    Tricks of the Trade). Intervene on the highest in aggro everytime Malygos raises up into the sky etc.

@ swelt

- a string of missed/dodged/parried attacks when engaging
    You should be very unlucky if nothing hits for about 5 seconds. But i use recklessness almost every time i engage a boss.
    The result is a huge gap between me and all the DDs in Omen. Just few Conc Blow crit or HS crit are almost enough.

- taunt resists (e.g. brutallus)
    Vigilance on the other tank and you have taunt without CD =P. Or use Mocking Blow or aoe taunt. You have so many possibilities to get the aggro that it should not be a problem in Wotlk.

- thunderclap resists (hard to notice that one in a group of mobs has 0 threat)
    Hi @ shockwave. Chance that both misses on a same target is somehow very small. And even if, a good interface fixes that problem. Spot that mob and SS it. Or spamm demo shout ( yeah demo shout it's better than nothing... saves aggro in some situations ). Aoe taunt cd got nerfed to 3 min etc.

In my 10 man runs I like to roll in my Tank-DPS set which is Expertise soft capped, and close to hit capped. I also use mirror of truth as my trinket.

The incoming damage just isn't enough to warrant the use of pure avoidance/stam gear. On our first Maly kills I was using my Tank-stam/avoidance gear and my furry warrior was riding my ass during phase one. Switching to my Tank-DPS gear he is now far behind me once more.

I have yet to see any instance on 10 man where having a little bit less health/avoidance has casued us to wipe.

25 man may be a different storry, I have only ran that in PUGS and I do wear my max stam/avoidance gear there because I dont trust thier healer.

A missed shield slam generates 0 threat.

IMO you should be gemming/enchanting/gearing with these priorities:

1. Survivability: Gem/enchant/gear until you reach the necessary EH and avoidance for the content you are attempting.

2. TPS/DPS: Once you reach the above goals and recognize what the baseline is you can start swapping out pieces of gear or re-enchanting and re-gemming to stay at your survivability minimums and increase your threat and dps.

+ Reply to Thread