+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hit cap really worth it for prot warrior?

Hit cap really worth it for prot warrior?

I have been collecting gear for the xpac and I made sure to get the defense cap right off the bat and today I decided to see what the hit cap is for prot war tanking and when I compared the cap to what I had I was very surprised.

At the moment i have 135 hit rating(4.12%) I have MT'd all of Naxx10 and 3 wing's in Nax 25 and never have I encountered any issue's with the dps even getting close to me on threat.

So is the hit cap basically just to increase your dps now? Seem's to me you would have to go for all the +hit tank gear in the 25 man's to reach that cap meaning you would have to pass on a lot of the other tank drop's out there.

From a tanking perspective, I don't think that the hit-cap is worth it. As much +hit as you can get without sacrificing something else is great, but mostly for a tank it's for DPS (not critical at the moment) and threat (you're not having a problem with it). Personally, I would suggest not bothering with +hit until you find it's an issue or switch to a really slow weapon where you have to be guaranteed a good hit rate.

However ... I'm not 80, and I've never tanked a raid higher than Kara, so I can't speak from direct experience on this one (I just read these boards all day while pretending to work ).

Malygos is the one fight where you need good threat (hit & expertise) yet sadly need your best gear to withstand the incoming damage. That boss parries a lot plus you need to deal with the added incoming dps of the raid, due to power sparks.

Otherwise for heroics and most other bosses, stack up hit, expertise and block value and get those high dps numbers
    Carpal tunnel is a small price to pay to get hit in the face

I feel the same, I think it's more important to be expertise caped since you'll take less damage from the parries. I'm going to try and get more Hit but without losing much else.

I have noticed around at 4-5% of hit you start seeing a lot less misses and everything so I would say that would be the soft cap to get your threat in line. The experise cap is one that will take you par far more = less parries - incoming damage + dog off table = great threat and more of your EH being accesable for speical attacks (spells,etc...) You can reduce spells and other items but not as much as any melee attack if you remove the parry from the table. Basically hit to 5% then experise rating for the rest. Your healers will thank you. The only reason for to have your hit high was to get threat on trash tanking more not for bosses.

I don't aim to be hit capped, but a lot of gear seems to have hit built in.

increasing hit is going to up a tanks DPS and threat and both are good, but a fight will not be made or broken on a tanks hit. If gear has hit, great, but I would not sacrifice to get hit.

Its lower priority than survivability for me. I'd like to get there, I feel like missing means I'm not doing my job even if Omen is going bonkers from retarded TPS. On auto attack. While i eat a sandwich and click-rend.

I'm definitely not going to sweat it if I'm not capped but i will try to keep some on my gear. It sucks to pop trinkets and wind up a big SS and whiff.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

The gear you get from heroics, badges and naxx are loaded with hit so you really can't help but be capp'd and more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartanchi View Post
    The gear you get from heroics, badges and naxx are loaded with hit so you really can't help but be capp'd and more so.
    I would have to disagree. I'm in full 80 epic's except for my trinket's and I'm still sitting at 165 hit rating with the hit cap being 295 that isn't all that easy to achieve unless you where solely going for it. After looking at my WWS for Patchwerk and Loatheb I noticed that my miss % was around 16% across the board so adding up all those misses on all my abilities I see where I would have done a lot more dmg overrall.

What I am trying to figure out is should I spend dkp on the "dps" tank gear or go for the gear with more mitigation type stat's and then when I have all the survival gear I want then spend my dkp on tank gear to solely raise my damage done.

I see a lot of tank's(on my server) stacking +hit gem's and I don't understand why it seem's like you would be better off using a +str gem at least you get some block out of it and a dps increase and if you are trying to fill a yellow socket why not go with champion monarch topaz(+str/+def).

When it comes to gem's I do understand that it's more of a preferance then anything. Just seem's to me like a lot of tank's are still gemming like it was last xpac when you really needed to get to the hit cap to stay ahead of the dps.

Having very low hit can make pulling tricky. Every so often, you'll do that charge/shield slam/auto attack/devastate and miss/parry/dodge most of 'em. On a really powerful boss, who's thrashing away at you immediately, those heals have to start coming in right away; they might do enough aggro to pull the boss onto the healer, with your charge cooldown still ticking away and shield slam on cooldown as well. Whoops.

That's to say nothing about the DPS who waits precisely one-quarter-second and then drops a huge nuke, used to that shield slam crit holding the mob on you.

Assuming you're not worried about idiocy on the pull, hit is definitely way down on the priority list for tank stats. I mean, it's not like you turn your nose up at it, but it's absolutely not worth giving up mitigation or avoidance stats for.

ive basically givin up on avoid stats for this xpac so far as long as im at 20/20/25 for avoid stats..i stack gear that has expertise and hit on it ...i really dont care if my healers hate me for it but id rather see our DPS try and catch me on threat...it makes life fun

Last time I checked Taunt was based on hit rating as well. On the few fights that have tanks switching targets, the Four Horsemen-Gluth, a miss taunt can cause a lot of problems. I have yet to see it wipe any raid but Vigilance is doing its part to fix that problem. Not saying we need to stack hit. Just that there are still some good times to have a set that is loaded with it.

I would prefer getting dodge expertise cap and stylehitcap...
    Expertise is the most important stat because until you havent capped dodge, every point of expertise reduces the parry and dodge of the boss.
    And stylehitcap will increase the TPS because most of the threat is done by SS or other styles.
    Right now i have 6% expertise in my full avoidance / stam gear and i try to cap stylehits without loosing much survivability.
    In my eyes its the best way to improve TPS / DPS without beeing a worse tank.

5-6 K DPS:ing Warriors and Warlocks are actually playing catch-up with my threat so I think, like before, hit and expertise will be vital for stable threat.

I will however also go by that T7 is more about gathering survivability stats first. Then you can start focusing on other goodies

Expertise is far better than hit rating if you are not expertise capped yet. Threat gear is still needed in certain fights and I think there will more fights like Malygos in Ulduar and other future instances. For example at our first naxx10 run I didn't have any threat issues and it seemed impossible for anyone to catch up with my threat (And I think this is still the case in fights without extra damage modifiers).

However first time at Malygos I was shocked how hard it was to keep aggro with almost zero expertise and DPS getting 100% damage increase etc.

<3 My new legs from Malygos with 66 expertise rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Thugs View Post
    5-6 K DPS:ing Warriors and Warlocks are actually playing catch-up with my threat so I think, like before, hit and expertise will be vital for stable threat.
    That is completely true, at the start of Naxx10 I had no issues with threat, but last night when we cleared four wings in Naxx25 under 4 hours I was really working my butt off to stay on top of threat during boss fights. With new gear and double-bloodlusts your DPS will be right on your tail.

Interestingly enough, our top dps is 2x hunters + fury warrior while warlocks are usually right at the bottom.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Warlocks can do good both in dps and threat yet they have soul shatter that they can use. Warriors don't. Also I've had hunters get close but again, they have faint death.

I wouldn't call threat an issue at the moment but I do think a Naxx 25+ geared DPS:er will at leave be able to give the tank a run for his money. With threat-reduction talents such as hand of salvation, intervene and vigilance it's yet an issue though. But by no means has blizzard put the threat game aside. Hit and expertise will be very important I would say come Ulduar.

I have to say it really stinks when you miss especially on pulls and in some situations can actually cause a wipe but honestly there is really nothing you can do about that without gimping yourself massivly, chalk another one up for the RNG, Threat hasnt proven to be much of an issue for me yet, I have a running list of people who have pulled agro off me and only contains 1 person and its because he attacked before me but our valorus geared shadow priest are starting to ride me like I am a school girl.

I would have to disagree. I'm in full 80 epic's except for my trinket's and I'm still sitting at 165 hit rating with the hit cap being 295 that isn't all that easy to achieve unless you where solely going for it.
    I find that you lose hit as well as defense in the transition from blues to epics.
    Edit: Also, jesus the Wyrmrest chest has a ton of expertise.

After looking at my WWS for Patchwerk and Loatheb I noticed that my miss % was around 16% across the board so adding up all those misses on all my abilities I see where I would have done a lot more dmg overrall.
    Keep in mind that WWS lumps dodge/block/parry/miss together in one column by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Last time I checked Taunt was based on hit rating as well.
    This.
    Which is not to say that I think that running around hit capped is the answer, just that Taunt is a pretty significant thing to think about in this discussion.

I'm not sure what the general use Food buff is for Warriors, but +Hit food is always a way to try and bridge the gap on fights where taunt needs to work.

+ Reply to Thread