+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RawR

RawR

I am curious to wether anybody out there is using this program. I have never used to until this afternoon, I was told it was a rather good tool for making gear choices by some members of my guild, however they are all dps classes and I personally find some of this programs choices highly suspect. It seems to rate DPS plate highly over prot gear in most circumstance, and even went as far to rate icebane gear as some of best in slot gear available.

Can anybody who has knowledge about rawr shed some light on this subject please. Until then I guess it is a good tool for getting a "rough" idea of how to gear.

Attempting to find hard and fast rules for tank gearing is impossible [imo].

You have to look at what you're trying to do [the encounter] and what problems you'll face. Do you have slightly weaker healers? What's the boss' damage like? There are a huge number of variables to take into account, and to be a good tank you have to have a good feel for them, rather than depending on a third party tool to do you thinking for you.

Only you can know what is best for you as a tank, as your situation is entirely unique.

tl;dr: Gear yourself for the encounter.

Our feral druids are very keen on rawr, our warrior tanks also used it pre-lich king. It's tunable, you can weight threat/survivability/mitigation, so it doesn't have to be hard/fast rules. I had a look at it the other day, but the prot warrior modelling doesn't seem to factor shield block, which seems a pretty major downside. They have a bunch of things on the to-do list post expansion, I guess this is on it.

Originally, Rawr only supported Bear calculations. They then added cat, then the various dps/prot warrior, and other modules.

So I'd expect in general that the bear part would be most accurate/complete compared to the other modules. I've been using it for a long time and it is very useful.

You can tweak the settings and buffs and such for different scenarios, so it doesn't really give you anything hard and fast. Use it as a guide; there have been times when I disagreed about what was an upgrade according to Rawr.
    Taur (80 feral druid), Chanu (70 shaman, waiting for his turn to level), Sareu (new favorite alt, lowbie prot warrior)

+ Reply to Thread