+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of turning tankadin into healadin, tips?

Thinking of turning tankadin into healadin, tips?

My main is a prot warrior, and before BC i leveled a paladin to take care of my 5-man tanking needs. With the buffs to tanking in the expansion, my tankadin is not really needed, and i've been considering the idea of making him a healer, to round up my high level options (i also have a mage). However, i have no idea how to go about it.

My first instinct was to go ret for 70-80, then respec, but i feel that wouldn't give me much of a chance to learn the mechanics of paladin healing. I figure there has to be some sort of holy leveling build, but i have no idea what that would be, and most threads on the official forums say that shockadins are dead...

My other option is to wait until dual specs come out, but who knows when that would be.

My armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

Does anyone have any pointers on where to begin with this guy?

You have a few options:

1) Level as Ret, then respec Holy and learn your abilities in BGs to get the hang of things.

2) Instance level as Holy.

3) Spec Holy, find yourself a Fury Warrior parter, and AoE grind your way through Northrend.

I recommend option 3 if you can find a partner. It levels incredibly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieDave View Post

3) Spec Holy, find yourself a Fury Warrior parter, and AoE grind your way through Northrend.

I recommend option 3 if you can find a partner. It levels incredibly fast.
    hmmm... interesting... one of my friends plays a fury warrior and doesn't play much... he's already 72, but i should be able to caqtch up to him.... thanks for the idea

One thing to note though if you are turning a tankadin into a healadin is to get the right gear, and have ALL of the right gear! I've seen too many times where a paladin was in a rush to go from one spec to another and didn't get all of the gear pieces that they needed, and so as a result their gear would be odd... I recently nearly ran with a paladin that had specced from holy to protection not too long ago, and it showed in his gear and in the fact that he simply tried to gem up a ZA plate healing helm with + to defense gems. Hurts even worse when you have a holy pally who's suddenly decided to go prot spec and so they don't have the tanking gear needed......

As for people who think that leveling as a holy pally is difficult--I actually found it rather easy. I spent my first levels 70-75 or so with a protection tank, and the last 5 levels I mostly did by myself, through a combination of some instance healing and a lot of questing. I did it all while I was holy specced, and to me it was pretty easy, because I could solo some group quests and I didn't have a lot of downtime with the changes to Seal of Wisdom and Divine Plea. DPS wasn't so fast as some pure DPS classes, but it wasn't nearly as horrible as people make it out to be.

I was ret all through TBC, up till 73. Went holy 'grinding' build, and solo'd my way through pretty much everything excluding the tougher 5 man quests. It was a little slow, but I never once died, and could chain pull mobs, and aoe them down decently enough. Once you start getting some holy gear, Holyshock can hit pretty hard, and cons ticks are great with 3-4 mobs on you. Judge wis and afk pretty much.

70-73 as ret, I died atleast 10 times on some pretty basic stuff, dunno why. If you can group with a dps, that sweet, but it isn't so bad solo. Put on some tunes or TV and chill out. Figure out how to heal through lots of damage and such when you get in trouble, which will be rarely.

Level as ret. You will tank me later.

Holy paladins haev the worst dps of any spec in this game. You can also heal any instance as ret.

Holy pallies have poor dps, this is true, but 1) that will be somewhat adjusted for in the upcoming patch and 2) from what I've seen, holy pallies get just that little bit of extra survivability than ret pallies, based off of convos that I've had with ret pallies when doing some of those group quests solo.

I would agree with find a warrior to level with. Nothing bugs me more than dps respec'ing at 80 into prot or resto and having no clue and no gear for either. Especially paladins (no offense). Leveling ret is laughable it's so easy, hit 80 having never healed or tanked and just respec and have at it = pita for everyone else. If you do have experience with said 80 goal spec then by all means, level the fastest way you can.

Quote Originally Posted by qygibo View Post
    Holy pallies have poor dps, this is true, but 1) that will be somewhat adjusted for in the upcoming patch and 2) from what I've seen, holy pallies get just that little bit of extra survivability than ret pallies, based off of convos that I've had with ret pallies when doing some of those group quests solo.
    I soloed all the way as ret and it is probably one of the best specs out there for handling things you shoudl not be able to. I soled at least a couple 5 man group quests and there was only one or two 3 mans I could not handle. Instant flashes, sol, bubble and loh allow you to do all the things you could do as holy but much faster. There is really no upside to going holy for leveling.

I would disagree. Leveling as holy was relatively easy to me, I got this character up as holy to 80 in about a week and a half with little issue. I found it easy to get into instance groups while leveling up, where I would usually get told various horror stories involving dps classes such as shadow priests or ret pallies being made to heal and doing so horribly. Groups in general were very easy for me to find for some of the more difficult 5 man quests, because dps is a dime a dozen, and specced healers are still somewhat rare, at least on our server.

As holy, I also get access to instant heals, not only thanks to Holy Shock, but due to being specced into Infusion of Light, which allows the chance for my Holy Shock crits to give me insta cast Flash of Lights. Never had to use my lay of hands while leveling, never had to use Seal of Light or Judgement of Light while soloing, almost always had a relatively high amount of mana with Seal of Wisdom up and Divine Plea on a nice 60 sec cooldown. I also rarely had to bubble except for maybe a handful of elite mobs in Icecrown.

I leveled ret and I do not think I ever dpsed an instance...i tanked and healed most them and did not without incident or slowing group down. Ret actually heals really well.

Outside of instances you can not compare the speed that ret solos to holy...it is just not in the same league. I am specced holy right now and I know what it is capable of. My JC daily sometimes takes me to Howling Fjords to kill mobs and I do it slower at lvl 80 as holy with full epic gear then I did it at 70 as ret.

Of course it is possible to level as holy but there is 0 upside...only downside. It can be done but why would you ever do it when ret can get the job done quicker and more efficiently?

Tank on paladin and warrior!! (and get healing gear while you do it )

Jusdoit

Quote Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
    Level as ret. You will tank me later.

Holy paladins haev the worst dps of any spec in this game. You can also heal any instance as ret.
    I've Never seen a ret pally heal a Wotlk instance i leveled Holy took me about 2 1/2 weeks (70-80) playing a few hours a day. I have been told Holy is one of the best leveling specs for wotlk (I dont know if it's true) but i find it easy to take 7 things 2 levels bigger than me and killing it all.
    As for Shockeys. After that last big patch Holy pallys are shockeys :P i find myself criting 4k Holy shock at 80 in the gear i'm in.

Level as holy, main reason if you can grind fast using ret aura and consecrate, just chain mobs and heal once you get to about 30%

You are a healer wearing plate, there isnt a reason to group with a warrior and share the XP

When leveling I would find the most mob populated areas and pull about 7 at a time and then just start grabbing more when some drop, keep SOW up on main target and mana wont be an issue

You mentioned that your pally was prot Pre-Wrath? Do you even have good holy gear? If prot is all you have gear for, then go for ret. Level fast and pickup the right quest rewards. Spec holy when you have a good set at ~78 and heal HoL/Occulas/Pinnacle etc to get some practice as well as Gear/XP.

Most people who dare to level holy or even Prot have good gear from Pre-Wrath. That 1200 spell power does pack a punch on a random quest mob. If you are in greens, you need a spec designed for leveling. There is none better than Ret in WoW.

Edit: Looked at you armory. Definitely head to the AH and build up a nice ret set. Look for "of the Bandit" pieces in mail and leather as well. I levelled my pally who was in a similar boat as you a few levels. Ret in greens is still much more enjoyable and faster imo.
    Last edited by Faction; 01-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.

I tried going healadin once. Now i realize that Prot is the only spec for me. Anyway, I had no exp, greens and blues, and went into reg Oculus. Don't do that. Listen to people above me
    Gertiploiss, the tank without a cause or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Paliee View Post
    I've Never seen a ret pally heal a Wotlk instance i leveled Holy took me about 2 1/2 weeks (70-80) playing a few hours a day. I have been told Holy is one of the best leveling specs for wotlk (I dont know if it's true) but i find it easy to take 7 things 2 levels bigger than me and killing it all.
    As for Shockeys. After that last big patch Holy pallys are shockeys :P i find myself criting 4k Holy shock at 80 in the gear i'm in.
    Out of every single spec in the entire game holy is the worst. Ret can solo anything a holy paladin can solo and do it faster. There is no reason to level holy unless you enjoy it so much you are willing for leveling be longer and harder than it should be. If you enjoy holy that much go for it but I would not recommend it.

With the changes made to Holy paladins, such as changing Judgments of the Pure to increase damage by 25% when fully talented and Avenging Wrath no longer being on a Forbearance cooldown, there's no reason why Holy paladins shouldn't see the results of being able to do a bit more dps.

Besides, anyone can get their character leveled up if they know where to go and how to do it. I got my holy paladin to 80 in less than 10 days, with levels 75-80 soloed mostly through questing. I was able to solo many group quests simply because I had the mana pool to keep myself healed up whereas a ret paladin probably would have died sooner because of the lower mana they have.

And if you do plan to level up by instancing, then please, even more of a reason to go holy. I have never seen a ret pally attempt to heal an instance, and indeed, making any dps capable of healing actually heal is going to gimp the group while dual spec isn't in the game, because they're not going to necessarily have the talent spec that makes healing easier, or they might not even have the appropriate gear (I've heard horror stories from shadow priests and other ret pallies, for instance, who were forced to heal an instance because the leader didn't want to get an actual healer in, and the group went horribly as a result)

Yeah putting a dps that didn't plan on healing an instance in would be stupid, but a ret pally in healy gear can do a decent job healing any instance other than heroics/raids. And its not like the mechanics really change much at all between the two, you just have a couple more things to do if things go wrong, but you can still get the basic handle on it. I have to agree with Meeks that the only reason to level holy is because you just love it that much. Anything else is just stupid, because it'll slow you down.

My fiancee leveled holy while with me as I leveled prot. I wore my healing gear most of the time also though for a larger mana pool and less downtime. I wore my full prot gear when we did group quests with just the 2 of us.

+ Reply to Thread