+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Naxxramas Maexxna

Added 25-man notes.

I think the problem with offtanking the spiders is that the floor is not horizontal, but skewed somewhat. TC/SW only hits targets on a horizontal plane - mobs that are under/below your level will not be hit. It's pretty annoying to pick those spiders up, but fortunately they can't kill anyone.

I'm in a bit of a quandry right now with this fight likely coming up tonight. I had lined up a solid mage and a weak boomkin to compliment a DK, awesome rogue, and a very good Enh shaman for DPS with 2 tanks, 3 healers. The mage offered up his slot to another rogue who, while equally awesome, is not ranged.

For this fight in particular, with Maexxena sticking people to the walls, is this going to be doable?
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

With one ranged DPS it's probably doable, but i'm not sure how much fun that's going to be. I'm also not sure if melee are able to attack the cocoon's, but even if they can it's probably too much of a DPS loss to have one of them running around anyways.

Edit:
    Having your OT taunt off of you when your CDs are up before the 2nd web wrap is a big plus.
    I Would Rather Tank In Hell, Than DPS In Heaven

Yeah, and we have a prot warrior OT so it shouldn't be an issue there. His gear needs work though but I think we have enough DPS to rip her apart at the end. I'll probably have him come around to the side and be ready but I'm going to try and CD through all of it.

Can also have one of the priests throw a holy fire at the cocoon or the shammy turn and shock it to help out the boomkin.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Added low-resolution and embedded 25-man notes.

One thing that may confuse viewers is that you refer to two abilities as "web wrap" both in the video and in some of the posts. The coccoon ability on 1 (or 2 in 25) players is the web wrap, the raid wide incapacitate is the "web spray".

Edit: oops, didn't see you had posted that in the first post!

One thing I told my DPS to do was to make a /tar web wrap macro to pick up the coccoons as quickly as possible to nuke them down.
    Last edited by Rhiannon; 12-10-2008 at 04:00 AM.

The Adds

Last night I off tanked this fight. As a paladin it makes sense to be the one to pick up the adds.

The issue I ran into is that the little buggers ignored me. I had out consecrate every time they dropped, I managed to hit the majority of them with a hammer at least once and I hit 3 with my shield once. Consistently the majority of them took off for random people and I had to go around individually saving people.

Has anyone found an effective way to pick these adds up? Next time I plan to try a saronite bomb, and an admantium grenade as well, but do not feel to hopeful.

kudos

I went last night on a trip to Naxx w/ my X guild and we kept wiping on this boss. I actually recomended the strategy u have on this video. This was previous to actually seeing your video. They shot it down and I got cussed out. They actually skipped this boss instead of giving it a shot. So I say thank you because now I know that what I recomended does work. My gratitude to u.

~SYS~

Quote Originally Posted by rhastafarian View Post
    Last night I off tanked this fight. As a paladin it makes sense to be the one to pick up the adds.

The issue I ran into is that the little buggers ignored me. I had out consecrate every time they dropped, I managed to hit the majority of them with a hammer at least once and I hit 3 with my shield once. Consistently the majority of them took off for random people and I had to go around individually saving people.

Has anyone found an effective way to pick these adds up? Next time I plan to try a saronite bomb, and an admantium grenade as well, but do not feel to hopeful.
    I noticed this myself, and I have a theory on what the problem is. I think that when the adds spawn, the kinda run forward a little bit as part of their "spawning" animation. So if you drop a consecrate (in my case a Death and Decay) exactly where they spawn, it doesn't actually build up any threat. After the first wipe I found that if I delayed the D&D drop by a little, i actually built up the appropriate amount of threat and I could get most of them to run towards me.

Yes: have everyone pile up right under her butt. They shoot out of there crazy fast and can get out of consecrate before it ever ticks. They do little damage and the AoE (we used a DK) will get them off the peeps before they do any meaningful damage. If you spread out, they'll take off to a healer and zoom out of the AoE before it ticks on them sometimes. If you leave DPSers out to go peel people off the walls, they won't have enough global threat on the boss to attract any little spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by rhastafarian View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Solithaira View Post
    I noticed this myself, and I have a theory on what the problem is. I think that when the adds spawn, the kinda run forward a little bit as part of their "spawning" animation. me.

I noticed this as well. I prefer OT’ing Maexxna just because of these guys. The spiders will have a decent-high threat on random players when they spawn.

As a war OT I do the following:
    Stand directly behind Maexxna
    Have “v” clicked to see health bars.
    Watch the timer… but the key is to wait until 1 second after you can see their health bars. If you react to fast you will waste your abilities, do 0 damage, gain 0 threat. Gage a proper distance to minimize the chances of wasting shockwave while maximizing the cone attack and hitting ALL spiders just as they are about to spread out.
    Shockwave
    Thunderclap
    Demoshout

If the raid aoe is awake you just made everyones life very easy. If not run around and tuant or kill. NEVER aoe taunt.

**Note to MTing warriors. The only way to hit the spawning spiders with shockwave is to run into Maexxnas body. I tried this a few times… it didn’t really work out.

We managed to easily get through this fight with 2 prot pallys and divine protection. the 50% less damage for 12 secs made it easy to heal through and at the end the other pally would taunt and do the same. 30ish seconds of basically normal dmg the raid downed her no problem.

Additionally we theorized that a holy pally could HoSacrifice the MT and beacon themselves and the MT would take 30% less dmg. The downfall to that is that Beacon works off of effecitve healing only thus potentially killing the holy pally.

We have yet to try this but of anyone does be sure the other healers are not fully healing the tank or the holy pally will die for sure. Let me know if anyone tries this.

Ciderhelm! I just want to thank you for your excellent movies. The guild I belong to (MT in it) just started raiding and last night we downed all the bosses in the nasty spiderwing. In my opinon that would not have happened without the help from the vids. Tonight all the bosses in Plague-wing go the same way.

Please keep the movies coming. Best help ever.

Hi !

first thank you soo much at tankspot for all of your video they are really great !

Sorry if my question is a newb one... but what add on do you use to show in the bottom of your screen

SHIELD SLAM READY NOW!
    REVENGE READY NOW!

etc etc etc ...

thanks in advance

Melee can target : )

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminatii View Post
    With one ranged DPS it's probably doable, but i'm not sure how much fun that's going to be. I'm also not sure if melee are able to attack the cocoon's, but even if they can it's probably too much of a DPS loss to have one of them running around anyways.
    My guild barely started Naxx and when we did Maexxna we had a mage or a caster on the Cocoons.

About 40 percent the mage died and we were without someone that knew what they were doing. So I picked up on the Web Wraps as a Warrior OT. Melee can target them and they are fairly simple to kill

We havn't had many problems with her until she enrages, I am sitting on about 31.5K buffed with 2 healers and sometimes in that 4 seconds I would get wiped out pretty good. A trick we use to help save the tanks life in the web spray is if you have a shaman, right before it, drop your elemental, which will taunt and take a smack or 2, saving that many extra hits on the tank. It has worked well for us.

I'm a bit biased here, but as a druid tank I feel like the Maexxna fight is one of the best opportunities for us to shine.

First, our very high hp pools give us a better chance to live through the web spray. A good druid MT will should have 27-29k armor and 40-45k+hp raid buffed, which is a very nice buffer for healers during the spray.

Second, since Barkskin - Spell - World of Warcraft can be used in feral form and every minute, we can use it every 2nd spray to reduce damage by 20% during the stun. The damage reduction isn't as big as Shield Wall, but the shorter cooldown makes it useable multiple times throughout the fight.

Third, druids who spec into Primal Tenacity - Spell - World of Warcraft take a further 30% less damage during the spray (which is a stun, not an incapacitate Web Spray - Spell - World of Warcraft ). While not the most popular pve talent, Primal Tenacity really shines during these moments, especially when paired with Barkskin, since it provides the only way for us to effectively mitigate damage when stunned (and alot of mobs in wotlk seem to stun for some reason). This is in addition to Protector of the Pack - Spell - World of Warcraft, which provides an additional 12% damage reduction.

So in the end, you have a meat wall with 45k hp taking the hits during the web spray, and mitigating the after-armor damage by up to an additional 62%. With some effective heals-over-time and someone keeping the poisons off, Druid tanks make this fight trivial.

these movies it has to be said are genious ! the best ive seen very helpful indeed. thanks very much and keep up the great work

I wanted to make note here that a prot pally can use divine protection the moment before the webwrap and taunt to hold threat and take no damage. You will want to have a simple macro for removing the bubble after the taunt duration expires: /cancelaura divine shield. (do not try to have the bubble the taunt and the removal all in one macro, it doesn't work, you need 3 seperate comands) I have used this trick on many fights, its a little dificult to execute, but when done properly will save your raid. I would suggest practicing on some simple mobs with another person on the threat table before going strait into a 10 or 25 man with it, because conversly it can wipe your raid too.

Pallies don't die... we just feign death REALLY well.

+ Reply to Thread