+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vigilance?? is it worth it?

I found it useful leveling from 70-80. I got my warrior to 70 and raided kara maybe once, had 3 epics and simply dungeon blues from Outland when wrath dropped. The rest of my guild was in BT gear. My arms warrior buddy loved vigilance because it gives him more room to run in and blow a Bladestorm in a big group. Even now at 80 with equal gear, it gives him some space to give it some extra oompf. I say it's worth the point.

i dont have it in my spec. i havent had any issues, with the slight exception of maybe trash here and there. even 25 man patchwerk no one was coming close on threat. frankly it doesnt matter if dps is doing wicked insane damage if by the time they've gone through their rotation one time you're 25k ahead of them. not worth a point imo when i can get more damage output elsewhere with that one single point.

if you are trying to get more damage (and by extension, threat), Vigilance is the highest amount of threat you will get with 1 talent point even with a retarded facerolling DPS,.

I find im having some threat issues at malygos, when dps are standing in 2-3 stacked patches for a long period of time.

i am a lvl 78 warrior and tho i havent done heroics i view vigilance as 1 talent point very well spent , if you consider what else you can get for one talent point , it really is a bargain .

consider the following , as a tank one of your main problems in tanking is boss effects normally work to cooldown times i.e. every minute this boss will do x or y , consider what it means to your top dps to actually be able to let rip 20% more and your other dps by at least 10% more this means faster dps less healing less damage taken and less down time for recovery . faster runs

in a tank off tank situation ( 2 warriors put it on eachother ) you keep eachother closer on threat ( the variance is smaller between you, in case one is far better geared than the other ) you reduce eachothers damage taken by 3% and your taunt is in constant cooldown ( not a bad thing as in lk you can pretty much taunt everything )

Just a point of fact: On plain vanilla boss fights you have an enourmous threat lead on DPS. 10% more threat is meaningless if you already have a 150k threat lead - you could DC, go off to the kitchen for a snack and come back still be tanking the boss (no thats not a real story )

So point 1: Almost useless for single target threat
    Point 2: It can reduce someones damage by 3% - worthless on anything but another tank, who thanks to the insane threat lead can afford to lose 10% threat. Handy function.
    Point 3: Refreshes taunt when target is hit. This is the reason I'm taking the talent. In Gothik or other crazy aoe tanking situations I'm glad of every point of threat I can get, I put vigilance on a DK or DPS warrior that will be hit and I get lots and lots of taunts to control the mobs and group them nicely.

I agree its a good point spent vs 1% crit - but I really hope folks stop talking about "dps being able to go all out"

I keep vigilance around cause I'm mostly doing 5-mans/Heroics right now. Inevitably, there is always the ONE bloody melee who stands where he/she isn't supposed to. I'd like to think that the 3% damage reduction helps a little bit there.
    "To a Gnome, all avoidance is dodge."
    Road70Beyond.Blogspot.com

I'm really struggling with this talent. I've never used it, but all the Warriors on my server have it. I don't need the threat increase, though a fellow OT would like the 3% reduction I can't find a reason to put two points (I'm not spec'd for Conc. Blow either) into getting it.

i love vigilance, now myself and our other prot warr have not swapped vig during fights since we have mages to keep under control. 1 mage, 1 patchwerk, 5837dps. yeah, that was fun, we had a pala tank it, with major lag spikes, and the mage had to ice block to keep the beast from killing him, and an unlucky hateful killed a hunter. either way we keep our vigiliance on the mages so they can dps harder w/o harrassment from bosses. i also like vigiliance for the thaddius fight, when the top dps is pulling 8k tps and im pumping out 11k i feel good :P

1 talent point for free threat? I'll take that any day. Really useful on fights like Malygos where you have DPS with 3 or 4 sparks stacked up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardd View Post
    1 talent point for free threat? I'll take that any day. Really useful on fights like Malygos where you have DPS with 3 or 4 sparks stacked up on them.
    honestly i see no reason not to tank it, arguably its the single best threat point we can spend. no the point is not necessary but it gives me some more slack and makes my already easy job easier.

also on fights like patchwork, its really helpfull to make sure your OT doesn't out threat you. i currently have my DK OT it, however hes a dps DK so he does A LOT of threat. simply put vigilance on him and bam he'll never pull off (and you can take it off if hes too close to dps.)

I didnt take this talent at all initially and then as my raid started gearing more and more and my Offtanks started to accidentally become maintanks i decided to pick it up. I will tell you now it was probably one of the wisest investments i made in a while. This talent is the ONLY thing that lets me hold threat on malygos long enough for him to push into phase 2. my fury warriors will get double and occasional triple stacks with a bloodlust and start putting out more damage then is reasonable to try and hold threat against. the use of vigilance on the highest threat (swapping as needed for the top) and the insta-taunt when maly turns to tear them apart are nearly mandatory for the level of dps they are putting out in that situation. i very much approve of this ability and all that it brings to the table.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

I found it useful for Gluth, too: Since we run with 3 tanks, and only 2 are needed for gluth himself, a hunter and me do the zombie kiting. I put vigilance on the hunter, and if he happens to have too many adds getting close, he will just feign death, and the mobs come over to me instead of starting to chase healers. BTW, great fun as a prot warrior to kite the zombies! taunt and charge to pick them up, then shockwave and intervene the hell out of dodge

i find it very useful. i usually place it on the healer. if by chance i have to deal with a dps or OT thats not controlling their threat, ill put it on them to keep them from pullin aggro.

I actually just hit 80 the other day and went straight into tanking the spider wing in Naxx. I was at the Def cap and popped Vigilance up and had 0 threat problems. Most dpsers in the raid were in a mixture of about 8-9 epics.... i had full blues. I appreciate all the input everyone and thank you very much.

Top end dps in my guild is sitting around 4-5k on fights like patchwerk. So Vigilance is a must for me. Like most people have stated, Malygos is another fight where Vigilance really pays off, if your dps sits at 3 stacks, you really need it to be able to hold threat.

+ Reply to Thread