+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crushing Blow taken in Heroic Pinnacle

Crushing Blow taken in Heroic Pinnacle

From what I understand, Crushing Blows are now only possible from mobs that are 4 levels or more above the player.

Today, I was tanking Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle, and took a hard hit from Skadi, and checked my combat log to see that it was, in fact, a crushing blow. Am I missing something? Below is a screenshot of my log.

P.S. I apologize if this was the wrong forum.

Does the boss have an ability called Crush?

Otherwise I'd've expected the combat log to say:

[Melee]Crush[You]*####* Not
    [Crush]Hit[You]####

Skadi has an ability called Crush (Crush - Spell - World of Warcraft) that lit you up, not a "crushing blow" for extra damage.

Now I feel like an idiot... I got a bit excited when I saw that entry in the log, thanks for the reply Klimpen, Muggs

Looks like he does have an ability called "Crush"

EDIT: looks like other people beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by EfemaN View Post
    Now I feel like an idiot... I got a bit excited when I saw that entry in the log, thanks for the reply Klimpen, Muggs
    Haha, I wouldn't worry about it, I have a funny feeling you aren't the first person to freak out over this nor the last we'll see. I definitely was puzzled until Klimpen and Muggs pointed out the obvious.

Well, i'll just give you this one to think about

/hug
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Keep your eyes peeled though. I believe Blizz has said they reserve the right to add crushing blows to specific raid bosses in the future.

I guess the reverse of how they used to remove crushing blows from raid bosses pre-3.0.

I'd still find the addition of crushing to a boss like saying "hai, take a paladin here". Which is not what they want.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

"Oh warriors, you can only be crush immune for 10 seconds at a time now!"

-Ghostbrawler, devourer of virtual lolcats.

Crushing blows are fine, it just makes the damage spikier for non-paladins. Its just an interesting mechanic, and in many ways one that shouldn't have gone away, but rather been modified, spiky damage is what kills tanks, and tanks not dying bar healers going afk seems bad in so many ways. What they really needed to do was solve the crush problem for druids (and DK), but instead took the easy route of predicatable damage.

Isn't the 4 level difference thing actually based on your defense (or used to be?), so if you are at 445 defense, you are not crush immune to level 83 mobs because its weapons kill (465 is 20 greater than your base defense)?.

If its based on the weapon skill, then becoming crush immune is much easier, just keep on stacking defense.

I believe it is not that simple...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndNin View Post
    Crushing blows are fine, it just makes the damage spikier for non-paladins. Its just an interesting mechanic, and in many ways one that shouldn't have gone away, but rather been modified, spiky damage is what kills tanks, and tanks not dying bar healers going afk seems bad in so many ways. What they really needed to do was solve the crush problem for druids (and DK), but instead took the easy route of predicatable damage.

Isn't the 4 level difference thing actually based on your defense (or used to be?), so if you are at 445 defense, you are not crush immune to level 83 mobs because its weapons kill (465 is 20 greater than your base defense)?.
    if your base def is lower say you just freshly dinged 80 so its only 395/400 then a boss mob could indeed crush you.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndNin View Post

Of course... the removal of crushing blows in theory opens Blizzard up to more and different types of spikey damage in the form of boss specials and the like. If they don't have to balance around tanks potentially being crushed and cleaved and ... all in a short interval they can simply make more specials, or specials that are more punishing. Malygos or Sarth with the fire aura (let alone 3xenrage buff) are both great examples of this kind of thinking. The trouble with crushings, after all, was that the design concept of a built in mechanic that forces some tanks to intentionally gear to reach some magical passive mitigation value (or have a skill which artificially boosts you to such a level, a la shield block or holy shield/redoubt) and other tanks to assume an OT role b/c they can't reach this number, was really pretty stupid. I tend to agree that currently there's a shortage of fights that scare me as a tank, but hopefully with Ulduar that'll change.

Also, I know I've read something about defense values and crushing blows, but I'm pretty sure that at least at present they are entirely unrelated.

Crushing blows being related to defense/weapon skill is a myth. Otherwise those tanks you saw with over 500 defense would have negated crushing blows, but they still took them like everyone else.

Blizz's stated reason for the existence of crushing blows is to prevent you from grinding mobs higher than you for bigger experience (ya I don't buy it either). So crushing blows were always linked to level differences, ie something out of player control as far as gear is concerned. Before the difference was 3 levels and now it's 4 levels.

Crushing blows have always been with defense. But it only count the defense you get from level, not gear. So a character with very low defense from not beeing hit can be crushed from mobs several levels below him in level. Like a level 80 character with 1 defense skill can be crushed by everything above level 4, and adding defense from gear wont change that.

Thanks for the correction. Tricky distinction.

That makes sense, I imagine that's the same system they use to calculate critical hit chance (I've never played when you could pass lvl * 5 weapon skill so I'm just letting my mind wonder here).

I got hit by him the other night, for roughly 9k and some change, with 542 def, loads of avoidance. he def hits like a truck.

+ Reply to Thread