Closed Thread

Thread: New +Hit and +Expertise Caps?

New +Hit and +Expertise Caps?

First I should ask if there's a thread that already has this info on it. Glanced around but never saw any charts anywhere.

In BC, I never worried about either stat much, it was just gravy on some pieces of gear. But now with Hammer of Righteousness being a physical attack that can be parried and the seemingly huge influx of +Hit on blue tanking gear (I have over 250 +Hit rating and didn't even realize it until last night), I was curious what the caps were.

Right now I'm over 540 Defense, have 26k unbuffed health, and will now start working my way to being 102.4% Block Capped, I was just hoping someone could tell me where the +Hit and +Expertise Barrier lay.

-Krynn of Wildhammer

The +Hit % cap is still 9% for 1H/2H weapons. So you need a total of 295 +Hit Rating at level 80 to be Hit capped.

The +Expertise "cap" you will never hit as a tank. The believed dodge % for bosses is believed to be 6.5% so you would need ~7% Expertise to negate bosses from dodging. However the believed Parry % for bosses is between 12%-15% which would be near impossible to obtain while still stacking avoidance, stam, etc. as a tank.

Expertise Rating and Hit Rating take the same amount per %, which is 32.77 rating per 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Arhk View Post
    The +Expertise "cap" you will never hit as a tank.
    I don't know why you would say that. Warrior tanks were able to reach the hard cap (55 or 57 skill depending on who you ask) with a mix of T6 and badge gear while maintaining defensive stats adequate for the encounters that called for max threat.

While it's possible that things may play out differently with WotLK gear, at the moment there's no indication that the gear won't be available to allow tanks who want to do so to reach the expertise cap.

As always the best approach is to hold on to multiple pieces of gear for each slot and use them to reach the right balance of threat vs. survivability stats for each fight.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    I don't know why you would say that. Warrior tanks were able to reach the hard cap (55 or 57 skill depending on who you ask) with a mix of T6 and badge gear while maintaining defensive stats adequate for the encounters that called for max threat.

While it's possible that things may play out differently with WotLK gear, at the moment there's no indication that the gear won't be available to allow tanks who want to do so to reach the expertise cap.

As always the best approach is to hold on to multiple pieces of gear for each slot and use them to reach the right balance of threat vs. survivability stats for each fight.
    I say that because it is ~460 Expertise Rating to obtain which I believe is impossible to obtain with the current available gear. Is it possible to obtain near the end of this expansion? Maybe.

I apologize if my statement was misleading however, I was just trying to get the point across that having a goal of being Expertise hard capped at this level of gear is not possible.

There are expertise gems. Gems - Items - World of Warcraft

I think some of you are discussing different caps. What I saw in TBC was a lot of people stacking expertise until it removed boss dodge from the table, and then left the stat alone more or less. Kinda the same way people hit their 490 back in the day and stacked dodge or something else after that. Not that expertise and defense weren't good after those points but the value of the stat decreases because part of it is no longer doing anything. Once you're crit immune or can't be dodged you can't become more crit immune or undodgable. At least, that's what I observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    a lot of people
    A lot of people were misinformed.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

atm im a full stamina spammer but i have 40 expertise so if i gem expertise i can easily get the cap. but what is the cap? i keep on reading its 45 and 60. my officer told me its 9% Who is right?

As said in Malignus' post, 8% for 1h, 17% for spells, and 27% for dual-wielding

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post

It was a lot easier to hit the hard expertise cap in T6 for one big reason: Steely Naaru Sliver =P

Steely Naaru Sliver - Item - World of Warcraft

Bit of a tangent rant, but is anyone else getting really annoyed with the complete lack of expertise on ICC 25 tanking gear? This is supposed to be the final tier of gear where we can buff up every stat and feel awesome, but so far the only piece of gear I've found with expertise on it is the T10 legs. Getting sick of having to cram expertise gems everywhere.

Thread necromancy ahoy~!

Odok: Cataclysmic Chestguard.
    Last edited by swelt; 01-22-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Closed Thread