+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

Malygos times

I was just wondering what are good times to be doing for maly? as in phase 1 should be done by blank? my guild is just starting to do maly and i was just wondering what kind of tempo we need to be moving at according to the enrage timer. any info is useful ^-^

video Recording

I was Woundering wat program u use to record ur video's and wat encoder u use to make them HD

Dps

For this fight what would be the average DPS needed.Also does he have any sort of timer?

Here i go whit my question ;P , was wondering about a thing in phase 3: if i take a healers spot, and start 2 build combo points on any1 in the raid, and do the usuall healing thing, what happends if surge of light or w/e its called is directed 2 me? can i use the combo points i've built up from healing to use shield? or do i gota shoot 2 flame thingies at malygos to have the points so that flame shields lasts long enough 2 survive?

Rogue Strategy?

I don't know if this has been stated before, but I find it useful.
    If you have a combat rogue in your party that has filled out their talents all the way down to killing spree, they seemingly have a way out of every other vortex Maly throws down.
    I'm a combat rogue, and learned this recently on a whim.
    When the vortex is about to begin (while still on the ground and the light appears), a rogue can use Killing Spree, which if timed right will allow them to avoid the vortex and allow them to continue DPSing from the ground.
    Yes, I know, it's not the greatest ability in the world, but it buys them an extra 8 seconds or so to DPS, which if they're doing high enough DPS and you're close enough to 50% could put you into phase 2 right out of the vortex.
    Just figured I'd toss that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkpenguin View Post
    If you have a combat rogue in your party that has filled out their talents all the way down to killing spree, they seemingly have a way out of every other vortex Maly throws down.

I remember someone posting earlier in this or a similar thread about the dangers of "cheating" vortexes. If not currently, there was once a concern that locks and rogues dropping out of vortexes was causing random arcane breathes on the raid.

I don't believe anyone in our raid has done it in several weeks, so I can't speak to it at this point, but it did seem to cause some buggy breathes. But that might have just been coincidental.
    Last edited by Bihn; 03-28-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: quote tags
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandar View Post
    I was just wondering what are good times to be doing for maly? as in phase 1 should be done by blank? my guild is just starting to do maly and i was just wondering what kind of tempo we need to be moving at according to the enrage timer. any info is useful ^-^
    IIRC, on our first, enrage timer hitting kills we were doing phase 1 in about 3 or 4 minutes (between 6 and 7 minutes left on enrage timer), phase 2 in about 3 and a half (3 minutes left on the enrage timer) and killing him about 10 to 15 seconds after the enrage.

A lot of phase 1 and 2 depend on which strategies you're using for stacking sparks and whether you're trying to stand in the last bit of a spark instead of bubbles. To a certain extent, phase 3 depends on how much ranged DPS you have and if you end phase 1 on a double stack.

If everyone is on point, phase 3 should only need about 2 to 3 minutes, but if you are getting to phase 3 consistently with less time, I'd go through it anyways just to get some practice on the drakes.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

this may give good chuckle lol we was doing maly lastnight first attempt looked great for 25 man got him to 2nd phase had 2 disc down quick sweet then maly glitched came down and attacked us in melee ranged and was untargetable lol he gobbled me up lol

There seems to be a lot of people who have simular issues, the main ones being Aggro, and DPS.

Surprisingly healing seems to be less of a problem for most, but for our guild in particular, whenever we run without our Priest/Resto Druid Setup, we ALWAYS Bring 3 Healers. Druids are invaluable in this encounter, for the resistance GOTW provides and the HOT healing in the vortex.

Aggro - Lots of Guilds seem to have this problem, but as many of the more vigilant tanks know, there is always a solution. Since the release of WOTLK, no tanking class has a problem with Single target aggro, just AOE, and this is inevitable if you have around 5 mages spamming blizzard.

If aggro is a problem on malygos, there is a problem with your tanks rotation, or in minor cases gear... Warriors poses the best single target aggro in the game, and the enhancements made to paladins and druids put them right up there, just underneath.

As already suggested, the warrior tank can intervene and put vigilance on your best DPS, and this should pose no problem to threat, if there is indeed a problem, it may be prudent to bring a rogue or hunter with you specifically for their aggro dumps.

The other tanks have to be sightly more attentive to threat than warriors, because they have no "threat reduction" they can attatch to targets. Paladins can cast holy protection on the target with highest threat, because this is an INSTA threat wipe, removing all threat, on top of that, pallys have 2 taunts on individual 8second cooldowns, to even if you have to taunt spam in your rotation, you should be able to hold the threat fine.

As For druids and deathknights, because of the mechanics behind their gear, that they can encorporate DPS wepons or in druids case, DPS Gear, into their tank set, there should be no aggro problems, and if there is there is likey a gear gap between the DPS and tank.

If your main problem is DPS, as most guilds first attempts on malygos will be, be sure to bring the Big Raid Buffs, Bloodlust is a must have as well as A Paladin for Kings/Bow/Bom.
    If you have one dedicated player dealing with the sparks (highly recommend a DK) and are using 2 healers, that means there is 6 DPS focused on malygos, and these are the people you want to be getting the buff. Even if your raid wide DPS is low, the sparks should make up for that easily, i know of mages getting 30k+ crits when double sparked, so malygos is likey to die quickly anyway.

the problem most new groups seem to have is that you choose to gear up your tanks and healers in favour of your DPS classes. Whilst good in principle this is a mistake when it comes to malygos, as no matter how well your tank is geared, its the arcane breath that hurts not his melee hits.

On our first kill our raid DPS was 19k without spark buffs and close to 40k when double stacked. - Malygos enraged in phase 3 and died 4 seconds afterwards, leaving only 5 players alive.
    Dps May Know The Tactics, But They Don't LEARN Them Till They've Tanked It

can anyone tell me the names of the unit frame and combat text addons cider is using?

Hey ciderhelm will you email me your addons you use? if it isnt a problem your a crazy tank dude, i want your addons haha! Agamimnon98@hotmail.com please and thank you

Rogue Strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bihn View Post
    I remember someone posting earlier in this or a similar thread about the dangers of "cheating" vortexes. If not currently, there was once a concern that locks and rogues dropping out of vortexes was causing random arcane breathes on the raid.

I don't believe anyone in our raid has done it in several weeks, so I can't speak to it at this point, but it did seem to cause some buggy breathes. But that might have just been coincidental.

Yes, I must say that a couple times he has seemed to do his arcane breaths at strange times, but for the most part it hasn't seemed to happen, thus just helping to get a few extra shots in while everyone else is trapped. I'm not sure if someone escaping his vortexes causes him to "reset" as if he were on the ground again, thus causing him to use arcane breath as soon as the vortex ends, but we have yet to have someone die right after a vortex unless it was from fall damage/not being topped off/etc. The next couple times my guild runs Maly, I'll make sure to try both ways and keep you guys updated on the results.

HELP!

OK well we (I say we but it may be me) have gone backwards on this fight over the past few weeks to the point where I benched myself in both the 10 and 25 man runs for another tank (I am a warrior).

I have successfully MT'd him on 25 and 10 in the past (have the pants & trinket from 25 and the shield from 10) but this week the guild could not get him down with me as main tank in either sized raid. There was no noticeable change in group set up except we didn't have a druid healer on the 10 man run.

All of our issues have been in phase 1 - we stack the sparks great, we run Omen and sometimes a dps will creep up on me but none of us saw anyone pass me in threat in any of the runs and my alarms never went off. He didn't eat a spark at all.

What we have noticed is Maly turning into raid more often then in the past, especially right after Vortexs and taking out usually 2+ raid members and for the life of us we don't understand why.

Now the guild didn't one shot him either him after I switched out, actually last night on 10 man they went at it for another 1.5 hours after 5 wipes with me so they said it wasn't me but I do have some questions I need answered.

1) Does Maly randomly turn into raid during the fight (in the Cider Video Maly seems to turn to raid quite a bit and he rocks as a tank)?

2) I did see my threat fall during the vortex as some caster classes continue to attack - does he wipe aggro after the vortex? I didn't think so but most of our issues was with him turning away from me right after a vortex and into the raid when people's health was low.

For this fight I have 200+ hit and 55+ expertise so threat should be a non issue and it appears that way as well on the Omen meters.

I know I am not providing a ton of info but I'm really looking to understand fight mechanics better here - its just odd that a fight that was on farm for our guild has now become a wipe fest and I am trying to look for reasons why.

Thanks
    "It takes less time to properly mark, CC and pull then it does to run back from the graveyard".

My apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere:

I found out (on a hunch) that a hunter using track elementals can see the power sparks on his minimap. When i do malygos, I usually have a hunter ping the minimap for the tank, which helps the tank out a lot with positioning Malygos.

Hope that helps anyone who is having trouble locating the sparks.

Golfgate:

I think maly does sometimes turn to cast that attack (forget the name) that randomly hits a few players, but when he turns for that reason, there's no additional danger to the raid beyond that.

Whenever I've seen Maly turn and nuke part or all of the raid, even recently, was due to player error. An accidental taunt, or in one case, an off-tank put vigilance on another melee DPS. Omen doesn't seem to register the threat transference, so the offtank looked good for threat -- until he pulled aggro and Maly turned and wiped us. :P

If your "farm" group has some newer members, make sure they aren't doing something silly that is causing maly to turn around.

There is a Known Bug about Mally breathing right after a vortex, it is fixed in 3.1.

In the mean time...

Some suggest that you face the nearest spark while in the vortex, then back up as you land.

What I find works best for me, is to face away from the spark, adjust about 15 degrees to the right, and run forward after the vortex. There are about 2 seconds between when you land and when Mally lands. When he lands, Start strafing left (hence the 15 degree offset) and Mally will move quickly to you and be aligned sideways on the outside of the inner circle.

So far, even when Mally does breath he is far enough from the center (because I ran instead of backed up) that no one but me gets hit. Your mileage may vary, but this method minimizes the RNG of the breath bug.

EDIT: Mally turns / targets raid members to cast his spells. He won't breath at the same time, but it does get the DPS nervous *hehe*

Thanks for the tips guys - we will try it next Tuesday unless 3.1 hits.
    "It takes less time to properly mark, CC and pull then it does to run back from the graveyard".

What are the regular requirment to have a successful Malygos raid?
    In terms if Hp/Spell Power/Dps etc

Do you have to be really geared for this or can you be half geared?

Quote Originally Posted by Pellet View Post
    Aggro - Lots of Guilds seem to have this problem, but as many of the more vigilant tanks know, there is always a solution. Since the release of WOTLK, no tanking class has a problem with Single target aggro, just AOE, and this is inevitable if you have around 5 mages spamming blizzard.

If aggro is a problem on malygos, there is a problem with your tanks rotation, or in minor cases gear... Warriors poses the best single target aggro in the game, and the enhancements made to paladins and druids put them right up there, just underneath.

As already suggested, the warrior tank can intervene and put vigilance on your best DPS, and this should pose no problem to threat, if there is indeed a problem, it may be prudent to bring a rogue or hunter with you specifically for their aggro dumps.

The other tanks have to be sightly more attentive to threat than warriors, because they have no "threat reduction" they can attatch to targets. Paladins can cast holy protection on the target with highest threat, because this is an INSTA threat wipe, removing all threat, on top of that, pallys have 2 taunts on individual 8second cooldowns, to even if you have to taunt spam in your rotation, you should be able to hold the threat fine.
    The top hunter in my guild busts my chops about not being able to even come close to breaking aggro off me until he is well into full swing, at which point the target is down, if not close to it (I'm a Paladin, btw). Told me this afternoon on some random Heroic badge run I started with a solid 12K threat. Then later, on OS trash and once or twice on Sarth, running as Retribution, I managed to break aggro off the warrior tanks several times, and no, I did not have RF on while running ret.

This said, Even with high initial threat gen, I noticed Maly seems to not pick up on it as quickly for whatever reason, but once he has landed and I get his attention, I won't lose it.

My guild has several 25 man kills, and the three I have been in on have ended up in at least a partial wipe. Our first kill was a full wipe, Maly dying about 10-15 seconds after we did. Second kill one person was able to shield and stay alive till he died. Today, we lost about half of the group and there is a current bug of people not getting mounted upon entering after dying and falling to their death again....

Even when taking our top DPS/heals in, we have not yet successfully taken him out on 10m.

After watching this video again, I've concluded that our overall problem is positioning and landing the sparks. In this video, the sparks are all downed in the middle of the platform and Maly kited around them. I've noticed on my 3 kills, I was unable to stand in the spark to get the buff and still be in melee range, which hindered us, by some amount, and is probably the reason we've been having trouble on the 10m.
    Secundinius <Dead Poets Society> Durotan
    Paladin Tank - 0/56/15 Deeps - 9/10/52 (for now)

+ Reply to Thread