+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

Maly with out a DK

Hey gang,

Its been a bit since I posted last but I have a very good strat killing Malygos with or with out a DK and it doest not require the tank to kite him. This strat works for both 10 man and 25 man. I would like to make a video of our kills but Im not to savy with fraps and my brother in law is a rogue so all you would see is Malys arse but im hoping i can get it worked out.

One thing to keep in mind alot of people say its important to stack as many spark buffs as possible. While that is true and a must if your trying for the 5 min kill. It is more important for the raid to be standing in one buff at all time and multiples if possible but not required. If your dps classes are worth anything one buff is sufficient to beat him in the aloted time.

Ok phase one with out a DK. Your MT engages him and tanks him where he drops. Raid does its thing heals and dps. Right as the first vortex happens the first spark should be spawning. It is important for people to be able to understand direction on their mini map and make sure it is static and doesnt spin with them if that make sense. Also keep in mind rogue can shadow step and warlock can portal out of the vortex thus reducing healing needed and what not.

My OT is a prot warrior. So i asign my OT and a boomkin and elm shaman on spark duty. Upon the first spark spawning the direction of the spark is called out be it NW/NE/SW/SE. Everyone while in the vortex turns and faces their camera toward the direction of the spark. If you do this when you land from the vortex all you have to do is run straight ahead to run towards the spark and it will be away from malygos head. Thus when I land i just take a couple steps back and people wont get breathed on.

Giving people a point of reference to run on each landing is huge for people not taking a breath to the face. As soon as the first spark is dead blood lust is popped and go to town. While this is happening the 3 spark people are keeping an eye out for the second spark. They will usually kill the second spark and dps from that buff depending on where it is. The second vortex comes up just as anotehr spark spawns. The same tactic applies. Reguardless of the direction of the previous buff on the ground the raid whn they land moves towards the new spark thus still getting the new dps buff because. The only catch to having spark people is the MT an them need to be working together if the spark happens to spawn behind the MT he must turn maly 90 degrees to ensure he doesnt kill his spark people. Its fairly easy to do

As long as your dps knows how to dps one buff should be sufficient and multiples a bonus. The biggest thing is to make sure people run the right direction when they land. That is why when we go up in the vortex I tell everyone when you land you will be running in X direction make sure you facing it now.

If you happen to have a DK in your raid this strat works even better. Just tank maly in the middle and rotate as needed. The only time your raid is moving is when they land from the vortex and move towards a new direction of the spark. Other wise its constant dps while standing in the buff. I find our strat more efficient with or with out a DK. Most of the time you will luck out and get a couple spark buff stacks as it is. I think this week a majority of ours came from SE and the just stacked naturally.

Basically you get 2 sparks per vortex cycle. So if you have a DK you just try and stack the 2 sparks in each cycle. If not no worries just make sur eyou raid is standing in at least one buff all the time and you should be fine. Perhaps i just suck at strafing but the loss of melee dps following maly around and the loss of threat and just trying to get the positioning just right and stack the buffs in the middle is way more complicated then the strat we currently use.

Phase 2 is pretty straight forward like most say. Group up .. wen the nexus lords drop down I AE taunt and the OT pulls one off marks it and the raid burns it and so on and so forth. Melee starts jumping on discs as soon as they drop and get up to start killing the scions. Move bubble to bubble and your good.

Phase 3 we use the group up method. When we hit phase 3 we all fly up and group up facing malygos's face. Because the heals are AE just clump up and dps. When the static field hits the raid flys to the right and proceeds doing what they do. As long as people understand rotations and can move when the static field hits its a win.

I hope this makes since if anyone has questions about it please feel free to ask. I will try and get a frap of it soon and posted.

Edit : just re-read it. When I engage malygos I tank him where he lands. Upon exiting the first vortex is he and remains tanked in the middle of the platform. Just wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by Triank; 01-19-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Just got him down tonight - after 3 attempts.

He enraged at 10% but we managed to get the killing blow in (some of us had 16-18 stacks of the DoT) just before he wiped us (we did all die - dunno if that's meant to happen!!). But we got him down!!!

Agree with the post above (we went ranged heavy again (5 ranged, 1 melee). As long as you're getting one buff, you should have the dps to get him. During vortex, I just pinged the map as to where the sparks coming from...when we landed, the tank would move maly back so we could get the spark as close to the centre as possible and kite maly around to try to get them to stack - its not always possible to do so tho.

As for UI, I play on a 13" laptop screen so I'm pretty much forced to use the default UI but would recommend disabling ur UI addon for this fight. When you're on the drakes, it's simple to target ur fellow drakes for heals, or target maly for dps and whoever ur targetting has 5 circles over their unit frame that turn red with every revivify or the flame strike (dunno what its called) so its easy to keep track of ur combo points and watch ur energy!

So happy right now

Just a point that we noticed last night (25man, but I guess its the same as 10man), if he hits 50% a few seconds before a vortex, he seems to do it anyway, and we assumed he would fly off immediately afterwards, but in fact he land, does one breath attack and then takes off, so it's important to still split <-- raid tank --> to avoid that one breath attack hitting the raid.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

While doing this fight in phase 1 seems like the aff lock in guild keeps pulling aggro right after vortex is over is this a complete aggro dump for malygos?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlaxle View Post
    While doing this fight in phase 1 seems like the aff lock in guild keeps pulling aggro right after vortex is over is this a complete aggro dump for malygos?
    He does not reset aggro but be aware that most tanks are unable to build threat during the vortex and if your aff lock had one or more spark buffs then his dots will generate a whole lot of aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlaxle View Post
    Like a previous poster said tanks are not able to build up threat while in the vortex. So if your lock is close to you when you get the vortex it is up to them to play smart. This is another reason I personally dont like the kite method. You can build way more threat tanking him in the middle and not kiting him.

Depending on your gear vs the lock ... a well placed shatter after bloodlust should be enough to keep the gap sufficient. Also slap vigilance on the lock will help also.

Just wanted to say thank you

Cider just wanted to thank you for all your videos and the time you take to make them. All of the videos have been a great deal of help.

Thanks again for all your time and effort

Fevh

hi guys

i have a qustion is it possible for a pala too tank him ?

is it possible for a pala too tank him ?

I am an affliction warlock, and I can cast Demonic Circle and teleport when vortex is up and it will port me out of vortex, the only problem is on a couple of my guilds attempts on him, after vortex/when vortex is ending I stop dps yet somehow when he lands he turns around, hits me and im dead, is this a bug or am i just pullin too much aggro?
    btw i was watching my threat when i died and i was not close to pullin aggro

I tried to get my guild to do 25 maly, they wouldnt so i did it with IRL friends. We got him to 6% then wiped. Tried 7 times, trying tomorrow too.

can anyone tell me how much dps are required from 6 dds for the 10men version and how much dps will be possible in this fight, compared to naxx or satharion?
    we've cleared naxx 2 times now and would like to try malygos. but our healer said every dd has to do at least 2000dps in naxx to have a chance against malygos.

gotta say this ... music louder than comments ... (on this laptop i'm watchin this :P )
    but i found this forum REALLY helpful (btw my 1st post :P )

Quote Originally Posted by Xed View Post
    can anyone tell me how much dps are required from 6 dds for the 10men version and how much dps will be possible in this fight, compared to naxx or satharion?
    we've cleared naxx 2 times now and would like to try malygos. but our healer said every dd has to do at least 2000dps in naxx to have a chance against malygos.
    his thoughts are about right. 2k dps would be a minimum dps for this fight as he has a relatively short enrage timer

phase 3 dps rotation?

i was wondering if there is a certain rotation dps drakes should be doing during phase 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabuya View Post
    i was wondering if there is a certain rotation dps drakes should be doing during phase 3?
    i think someone posted
    as rotation.

yea it all depends on the person as well i recently switched to 1 1 1 1 1 2 gives a full duration and allows me to not lose my stack if i get focused for 1-2 times in a row and even by the end of the fight my dots are ticking high. i recommend trying that rotation if you are comfortable with P3.
    The answer is user error

Thanks for the info guys

I am a palidin tank

I think I do good lol in there just hard for me to kite and see where sperks are comming from

Phase 2 Bug (?)

Hey there,

So Malygos has quickly become my favorite fight in the game. The first two phases actually call for some tanking expertise, especially when using the kite method. Cheers to Project Marmot for bringing the strategy to life in film. The third phase definitely takes some practice for everyone to learn the rotations and movement (my pally healer just didn't understand moving while maintaining the healing rotation), but the cumulative effect of a good rotation is amazing to watch - like a snowball rolling downhill.

Aside from praising the fight and videos here, however, I was curious if anyone else has ever encountered a peculiar bug during Phase 2. On one of our first attempts, we entered Phase 2 normally. After Malygos' first Deep Breath ability, Malygos flew down and started to bite at us. I had stayed on the ground to run Imp. Spell Reflection on my ranged DPS and healers, and was suddenly taking hits of up to 9k physical damage from Malygos (these attacks could be blocked, dodged, parried, and did miss). The healers were having a hard enough time adjusting to the situation without the strain of heavy damage on the MT - by the time Malygos performed his second Deep Breath (this was done horizontally, as he was still sitting roughly in front of me; his anti-magic breaths also shot horizotally across the field before impacting and creating the bubbles), our healers were running on empty. The entire raid then died to nibbles from Malygos.

Among the more curious qualities of this glitch, which I have yet to reproduce:
    • Malygos was untargetable the whole time. The sprite was in melee range, chasing us around as we moved from bubble to bubble, but could not be hit by targeted damage, and showed no response to AoE abilities.
    • Malygos did not simply start by attacking us. He did not "enter" the fight until he had performed his first Deep Breath ability. Whatever provoked him at that point, I'm not sure.
    • Malygos did not simply chew down me or whoever was at top threat; after all of the ground people had been eaten, he flew up and chased down our disc riders.
    • Malygos did not interact with the environment correctly; he continued to fly while at ground level, causing much of his body to sink through the ground. This is curious only because he doesn't show such behavior during Phase 1; he walks around normally then, so his ground collision capacity changed at some point.
    Since I have only seen this glitch once, I don't feel I have substantial evidence to bring the bug to Blizzard. However, I was curious if anyone else had encountered this glitch, or any similar oddities. Additionally, if there are any other reports on other sites that I may have missed, please let me know.

I'm not yet geared enough to do this yet, but thanks for putting this up Never could do it in beta. He enraged during Phase 1 most times. PvP gear + noobs with beta keys = fail.
    Gertiploiss, the tank without a cause or reason.

+ Reply to Thread