+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

Going Malygos tonight Scared of phase 3 cuz I hate oculus fight ;/

If you are a DK:
    When you are summoned into the Vortex in phase one Anti Magic Shell will protect you from ALL damage. Thus pop it when in the vortex and you will save your healers some mana.

Has anyone used the Bosskillers strat for phase 3?

5 Groups of drakes 1 healer per group - spread around malygos in a circle.

We used this Phase 1 strategy the other night and it is amazing how fast you can get through it. Here's a key points we found:

1. for proper positioning, malygos should have all 4 feet inside the circle on the ground
    2. the tank has to be super on top of watching for sparks, and move malygos to the opposite side of the circle from where they are coming
    3. strafing right on the edge of the inner circle keeps malygos positioned perfectly
    4. after vortex, the raid can't stand in the center or they'll get breathed. call out the location of the next spark and have everyone run that way. after the tank has malygos, then run back to the dead center of the platform.

In 25-man, we got through Phase 1 with over 7 minutes left when we did it this way.

I realise this isn't directly regarding the Malygos strat.

Cider, do you use the default camera at the furthest view distance or did you enter a line of command so that the camera can back up even more?

I'm asking this because my tank complains he has the most difficult time seeing where the sparks come from while trying this technique in phase 1.

You edit camera view without commands, go to your user interface and change Camera settings.

We tried him - wiped terribly ;p didn't do phase 1 We cleared naxx twice i think our gear is ok for this but we had trouble in stacking sparks ontop of eachother. Warr tank with 33k HP buffed (23% Dodge 17% Parry 28% Block) was also sometimes dying despite 2 paly healers with 2kSP ;/ we also had resto drood with 1.6SP for group. Players that are doing sometimes over 3kDPS in naxx went down to 1.6k I was shocked. Tried to tank him like Cider but i guess i need to step my game up a bit ;p More tries tomorrow I think. Never expected this to be THAT hard or maybe we do something wrong..... maybe a DK with his pull on the sparks ? hmm

The max camera doesn't give you nearly as much length as:

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

using that will give you a much better view of your surroundings!

Quote Originally Posted by Angro View Post
    We tried him - wiped terribly ;p didn't do phase 1 We cleared naxx twice i think our gear is ok for this but we had trouble in stacking sparks ontop of eachother. Warr tank with 33k HP buffed (23% Dodge 17% Parry 28% Block) was also sometimes dying despite 2 paly healers with 2kSP ;/ we also had resto drood with 1.6SP for group. Players that are doing sometimes over 3kDPS in naxx went down to 1.6k I was shocked. Tried to tank him like Cider but i guess i need to step my game up a bit ;p More tries tomorrow I think. Never expected this to be THAT hard or maybe we do something wrong..... maybe a DK with his pull on the sparks ? hmm
    Malygos is a step up from the faceroll that is Naxx, make no mistake about it. Luckily, it's more reliant (for the most part) on your strategy and ability to work together rather than gear. What this means is that likely what you need most is PRACTISE.

A few random tips I'll share a few weeks on from being in your shoes:

- stacking sparks will make a big difference to your overall DPS. But when you're learning the encounter, don't focus TOO much on this (at least not if it's resulting in tank deaths and general awkwardness from moving him around). You could try a gradual progression, like - first of all get to a point where you are happy moving him around and sparks are not hitting him - THEN worry more about the sparks stacking on top of each other - THEN worry about maximising dps.

- during vortex, as a prot warrior, I use the time to do the following: a) refresh thunderclap and demo shout b) refresh commanding shout c) heroic throw if I'm bored / it's up d) spot the next spark coming in and make sure that I'm facing it when I land - so that all I have to do is move backwards and Malygos will be in approximately the right position.

- a wise poster somewhere here (even in this thread, I think) gave some great advice: as a warrior, spec into reduced CD on shield wall - that way, you can pop shield wall when you land after the first vortex, then last stand when the next happens - then shield wall the time after that. (If it takes you longer than that, your DPS probably needs to catch up with the rest of the raid).

- your raider's dps definitely shouldn't be going DOWN - although it would be kind of understandable the first few times while they're learning the encounter. Is this ranged dps (hunters can find positioning awkward) or melee? If melee, you might be moving Malygos too far away from the spark pool.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way. Keep at it - you still got 2 more phases to master, but by the time you do, you'll find it a really fun encounter

Thx m8 I was trying to kite around the middle but seemed like DPS had real trouble with sparks ( they never reached Malygos ) they just died in many differend places and that made kiting him more difficult. I was thinking maybe keep him in the middle and devide groups so one grp will kill sparks on right side of him other grp on left. That way we wont stack sparks but there always be a single buff on both sides i guess. I will check it today maybe we hav enough dps to do that. BTW how long should take Phase 1 to still kill him in time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Abidahn View Post
    The max camera doesn't give you nearly as much length as:

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

using that will give you a much better view of your surroundings!

TY muchly kind sir.

This is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    This encounter is just frustrating until everyone focuses on their own health bars.
    As ret pally i have kinda learned to forget my health bar and just trust the healers.

Fights like loathaeb and sapphiron can be bit tricky(+ malygos)

Its probs best if everyone gets scrolling combat text addon(i use miks scrolling combat text [MSBT]) and just enable the mode that gives you raid warning when your health goes below 45%. Helped me alot on my raiding on wotlk.

9k crits on yourself can be bit scary to watch on fights like thaddius and malygos, but hey would it be fun if it was just spamming your buttons without any brain?

Worked great the first time around for us. One of the best i have seen so far.

My guild is trying its best to try to get the sparks to stack, the grp make up is,
    Rogue
    shammy - heals
    shammy heals
    druid heals
    warrior dps
    death knight tank/dps
    pally MT
    mage dps
    warlock deeeeps
    hunter dps

We try our best to pull these things in the middle but for some reason they always track to the side and start going really fast to the boss, so its annoying to do so. please help on what I should do
    >>|Absolution|<<

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceoddity View Post
    TY muchly kind sir.

This is perfect.
    My pleasure! Go get some lewts!

First of all, big hands down for Cider and whole Project Marmot for these brilliant videos and guides! This is my first post here and it by any means doesn't include anything new to this thread, just describing the way we were able to do this.

Malygos indeed is a step-up from say Naxx and Sarth (without drakes up) - our guild tried to down Maly for a bit over two weeks without success and we were all pretty well geared up. First problem we encountered was stacking the buffs, it seemed so hard at first but after watching Cider's vid, our tank started to move Malygos around and with slow progression, we finally started to get the sparks on top of each other. What we did was that when the spark was just about to enter the "position" where we are stacking them, I (hunter) would concussive shot the spark, DK would grip it on the stacking position and voila, things started to work out with this method. At 50%, Malygos switches to phase2 and at this point - as ppl have already mentioned - it is possible to burn 5-10% off of him while he does his speech, we got 8% off of him during this "free-nuke" period on our first kill.

For us, phase 2 seemed to have most of its victims while Nexus Lords were still up (read: the first minute of the phase2 or so) - after that it was pretty much a breeze: just run from bubble to bubble (you don't need to rush that, it's perfectly possible to survive a Deep Breath in a bubble that's very, very small - just like you see in Cider's video), get your melee DPS up in the air with the discs from the Nexus Lords and just burn the Scions down as fast as possible. You should have 2-3 minutes left to do the phase3 without problems.

When the phase3 is about to start, all of your raid should gather around in one place (we gathered in the south corner) so it's easy for you to group together on the red dragonflight. Build up combo points, release Engulf in Flames and be ready to cast Flame Shield whenever Malygos "focuses on you". Like in Cider's vid, we slowly strafed to the right constantly and spammed pretty much 2xFlame Spike followed by Engulf in Flames. The really important part is, as already mentioned, to keep yourself always 25 energy points so you have always enough of it to cast that Flame Shield when Maly is doing the surge on you. The static fields aren't a big problem once your raid knows that you constantly strafe to the right, not stopping at all, slowly rotating around Malygos.

And yeah, that's how we did it and after over two-weeks of sweat, tears and lots of repair bills & watching these vids later, Malygos finally fell and the euphoria was pretty substantial. This fight is VERY rewarding once you get the hang of it and surely provides a unique end-game encounter with all the dragonriding and different phases. It's all about communication and teamwork - although the encounter sets certain requirements for the gear as well, you need to have twenty-k'ish HP to survive Vortexes and enough DPS to bring Maly down in the frame of enrage timer, but about 90% of this fight is coordination and group work.

Surge Needle Ring dropped and I rolled it! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogueblood View Post
    We try our best to pull these things in the middle but for some reason they always track to the side and start going really fast to the boss, so its annoying to do so. please help on what I should do
    Hunters can trap and concussive shot the sparks, DK's can deathgrip them in position, druids can root them and so on - they are perfectly snareable and rootable which helps a lot in positioning them correctly. If you watch Cider's vid, it's pretty much up to the tank to kite Malygos so that the sparks will HAVE TO come through your raid over the position where the sparks are getting stacked. This may not be easy on the tank but it's easy for the DPS to get full benefit from those stacking buffs. Also, hunters should put Hunter's Mark on the spark that was spawned BEFORE the Vortex so it's even more easier to determine the correct spark to kill first.

Like I said, snare 'em, stun 'em, root 'em, do whatever you have to do to slow them down until the tank has finished moving Malygos accordingly and then just keep killing the sparks on top of each other. Of course, if it's obvious that a spark is going to reach Malygos for some reason, it's wiser to just prevent that and kill the spark wherever it will die rather than risking a wipe from Malygos receiving the increased damage buff. One missed spark doesn't ruin the run in terms of getting him down to within the enrage timer but stacking the sparks definitely is something that's going to turn the tide in this encounter, for better or for worse. :-)

Good luck in your future attempts - take him down!

Hunters

Hey my guild and I were just doing this fight and through out it I (a hunter) couldn't get shock buff and be in range to shot. What do you guys do about that so every dps gets buff and everyone can dps at there max?

Beautiful boss!

Annoyed, annoyed, annoyed!

Firstly, thanks everyone at Tankspot for the brilliant videos - especially this one. (thanks also to the person who gave the console command for the camera )

Today was our second attempt at doing maly - first time (3hrs worth of wipes), couldnt get him to phase 3 before 1min left on enrage - problems with spark stacking.

Tonight - well, wouldnt be annoyed if we had downed him but we spent 3hrs (different grp make-up this time) just pretty much learning the fight and positioning...and then on our very last attempt (had already agrred it would be the last attempt)...got him down to 3% then he enraged :/ (lost 3/4 dps on drakes too early otherwise we'd have him).

We have pretty much perfected phase 1 and 2 and almost have perfected phase 3 - we will have him down tomorrow.

Raid set-up
    warrior tank
    1 resto druid, 1 CoH priest, 1 holy pally
    2 hunters, a fury war, 1 SP, 1 mage, 1 lock. (went ranged heavy so we could stack the sparks and properly learn the fight - once tactics are down correctly, then we'll start rotating melee in)

SP mind flay works well on sparks, as do 2 concussion shots...to the poster above...if ur ranged and too far away to attack with the buff, then ur killing the sparks too early. We're on vent (Helps A LOT), so if any ranged dps is getting trigger happy on sparks, I tell them to hold off til its almost over the centre. - u need to try to position urselves in the middle and only have ur tank moving.

Ciderhelm, Have you gotten your unit frames right?

Hey Cider,

First I would like to comment on your excellent videos and strategies. They have help me out immensely.

My question is this, have you figured out a good unit frames ui that handles the mounts and combo points correctly? I'm having an issue with this, particularly in the Malygos fight. As of right now I'm using pitbull and, over all, I'm unhappy with it's performance and highly considering moving back to wow standard user frames.

Also on a side note do you perfer Bigwigs or DBM. Bigwigs doesn't seem to work correctly on the malygos fight as it wasn't displaying a warning on who was getting targeted in phase three of the fight so that they know to use their Flame Shield, However I find bigwigs supierior on fights like Grobulous where it is excellent on displaying who has the mutating injections and keeping timers on the poison drops that he does. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Again, thank you for your assitance.

+ Reply to Thread