+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

Interesting ... perhaps i need to fine tune my movement. When I was doing 10 man maly with out a DK we were having problems with the sparks. It would seem the spawn rate of the sparks was faster because I would have a spark spawn on one side I would move him so it would path over the center but then one would spawn on the side I was on and I would be dodging 2 sparks and it would not path over the center area so to speak.

Perhaps dps was not killing them fast enough im not sure. Or waiting to long for what would be considered center. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

If im not mistaken you have a DK in your 10 man video and several in your 25 man video. Do you happen to have a video with out a DK or are your DK's not death gripping?
    Last edited by Triank; 12-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.

We had our first go at Malygos yesterday, but unfortunately only for an hour, since a healer had to leave. We only had two healers yesterday, and while it was initially taxing, it seems like thye were confident that they could keep up with the damage in the end.

One major problem for us, however, was what wiped us at 51%. Malygos turns around to do the Arcane Storm, and we got some 3 people dead instantly because he apparently did Arcane Breath as he was turned.

This is obviously a huge problem for us, and its not the first time ive seen a boss use two abilities right on each other. The issue is just that it gimps us immediately if he looks at the raid when it happens.

Is there any way we can avoid that?

We had our first session on 25 man maly lastnight. We had no death knights and really fined tuned phase one to be very effective. We were running into problems in phase 3 sadly and just quite couldnt get him down.

We were having problems being able to see the blue static field. I have a pretty high end computer and wasnt able to see it along with most of the raid. Not sure if it was a bug but once you died you pan you camera and see it. Is it normal for DBM to not track static field also?

We have a few tweaks to make in phase 3 and he should drop for us this week. Once we have our strat nailed down from start to finish I will post it for those who dont have a wealth of deathknights.

Quote Originally Posted by Qieth View Post
    We had our first go at Malygos yesterday, but unfortunately only for an hour, since a healer had to leave. We only had two healers yesterday, and while it was initially taxing, it seems like thye were confident that they could keep up with the damage in the end.

One major problem for us, however, was what wiped us at 51%. Malygos turns around to do the Arcane Storm, and we got some 3 people dead instantly because he apparently did Arcane Breath as he was turned.

This is obviously a huge problem for us, and its not the first time ive seen a boss use two abilities right on each other. The issue is just that it gimps us immediately if he looks at the raid when it happens.

Is there any way we can avoid that?
    Happened in our 25 - apparently its a known bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Triank View Post
    We had our first session on 25 man maly lastnight. We had no death knights and really fined tuned phase one to be very effective.
    Goodness...how do you have no DKs...I run a 10 man group and we have at least 2 - 3 every raid (and with the DPS those guys do - I'm not complaining!)

Quote Originally Posted by Emidan View Post
    You can practice strafing on any mob in the game, really. The default keys that come with the game are "q" and "e", for walking sideways. I use these along with my mouse to strafe when tanking bosses. Takes some practice, but once you get it down it's much faster moving bosses than backpedaling
    Agreed, you really need to strafe to move him fast enough. I have this bound to my mouse scroll wheel (side to side).

We had a few cracks at him last night, got to phase 3. The sparks coming from opposite sides at the same time are a pain, we had ranged take one out while i sweated on the shield wall just in case. The Vids were a great help, thanks, im sure we'll down him next time with the help of a few tips in this thread.
    Last edited by Jackripster; 12-22-2008 at 06:49 PM.

What's the health requirement for normal EoE? Is it the same?

this is with my off-tank in the raid as well as several brand new 80s.
    Your guild is preatty cool, i watched the video like 5 times to get every little detail. Saw in the movie, when 3rd phase starts the lowest DPS is 1785 from your warlock and 3195 from your hunter. (sparks from p1 ofc)

In my guild we got alot melee, do you have any trick for melee guilds? We cleared naxx on our third week of raiding.

We Tryed maly and wiped badly on the enrage timer and only 2 had a dps on 2k when 2rd phase started (DK and shadow priest)

We run with three melee, two ranged. Not really sure if that makes us particularly melee-heavy, but including myself that doubles our amount of ranged. Anyhow, we had no issues that were related to group composition, excluding specific healers (CoH priest and resto druid, yum!).

need help >.<

ok so my guild has just started on malygos and we're wiping pretty bad during the encounter. i just have a few questions:

1. from the video it looks like your dps is always in the same spot for the vortex. also in addition to that it seems that you guys hardly move malygos as well. what do you guys actually do in terms of positioning

2. we're going into phase 2 at about 5 mins into the enrage timer which is too late isnt it? how many vortexes should we be stacking? at least 2 most of the time?

any constructive comments are appreciated

We have tried Malygos(10) twice, first raid we wiped 16 times before calling it - got him to phase three once in that period. Second time we tried around 10 times got him to phase three around 6 times.

I'm a warrior tank 4/5 T7 fully epic other than ring, cape and trinket but our demo/destro lock managed to pull aggro off of me when he had the 100% damage buff, right now we're trying the method of me tanking him in the north between the two spark spawns - one team on the left of me to take a spark, other team on the right and it can be hard for them sometimes to see the sparks and get them down before they reach Malygos.

Next time I think I'll try your method of moving him around the inner circle kiting the sparks into the middle for the dps to stack the buff and beat the enrage timer but I'm worried about people pulling aggro off of me, is anyone else having aggro issues with DPS having a 100% damage increase?!

My guild Tried this for the first time today, we took 3 healers, 1 tank and 6 DPS. We have fully completed naxx 10 man and we found this fight very hard. first of all we go him down to 5 mill before our tank got smashed by the breth. We have a Shammy, Paladin and a resto Driud as our 3 healers (is this a good set?). is there anyway we can stop our tank getting Smooshed at about this point since he is fully epic and has 4 peice of T7. the healers are ok geared also, fully Epic.

Is this fight more about Getting the boss to 50% as fast as Pos OR is it about servival? Like timing it right. I dont no what to do about the Sparks either, since they come form exactly in front and behind the boss. Maybe thats a bug? our Tank is also having problems seeing the Sparks. Is there anyway it can be made easier to see when and were the next spark is coming.

Thanks for reading.

what do hunter's do when malygos is to close 2 them and the tank wont move malygos its hard to get the buffs? and can we slow them with traps?

Nice vid, well expained. You guys are pretty much our point of reference for strats when we're clearning new content.

Our guild will be hitting malygos this time tomorrow night.

3 healers (druid priest pally)

Pally MT, DK OT(if necesary, if not he joins the dps lineup.)

and we are likely to have 2 other DK's in our dps lineup totalling 3 DK's in the raid(10man) so i think we'll have a crack at death grip cycles to pull the sparks where we want them.

We will be using 2 healers dedicated to phase 3, possibly another drake helping support with raid hots if that gets ugly (which it shouldnt from what ive wathed and read so far).

A quick queston about HP reqirements, is 18k absolutey necessary? We have decent aoe heals and instant hots galore. I also see mention of his arcane breath ability being buggy at times, like sudden turns to the raid despite he tanks threat levels etc.

If anyone has any input on these 2 queries that would be great, ty guys.

Tranquillex - Unemployed / Alliance dreadmaul.

Maly issues.

Hey all--I'm hearing a lot of the same issues through the entire 5 pages of questions and heartache so I thought I'd at least try to add my 2c and hope it helps!

Group set-up:

1 Warrior Tank in T7/couple 25man pieces.
    1 Pali Healer
    1 Drood Healer
    1 Shammy Healer
    1 Rogue
    1 Melee Shaman
    1 Boomkin
    1 kitty
    1 fury warrior
    1 Shadow Priest

First and foremost, 18k HP *Edit: fully buffed* is without a doubt required for your raid. Someone without 18k HP that doesn't receive a heal during a vortex is a guaranteed death.

Secondly, all this talk about "we can't beat the enrage timer", "the DPS is pulling agro on me", and "the Arcane Breath is hitting our raid" are all on the tank imo. That being said, without vigilance on my fury warrior, he pulled Ag on me once, the pali bubbled him, and we moved on with life.

Beating the enrage timer is completely based on your DPS being able to stack on top of each other, in the spark remains. Which means your tank has to *perfectly* kite Malygos from them.

The most clear way I can describe the positioning is continually make a line between Malygos' tail, the raid, and the closest spark. If you do that, and the DPS kills the add when it gets to them, you will win phase 1.

Phase 2 is pretty obvious...move between domes, kill the adds and you win.

Phase 3-we grouped and moved every 3 to 4 seconds to the right as Cyder said. We died miserably until we did that heh. Our rotation was:
    1 1 2
    1 1 1 2
    /repeat
    When he looks at you (and it says it all over your screen) make sure you have a single DOT on the boss (1) and pop #5 (shield).

Random notes:

-HOT and top everyone off just before you get up in the vortex.
    -You can use melee dmg (sometimes) to still DPS while in vortex.
    -You can use instant casts while in Vortex.
    -When platforms get picked up, use your highest to lowest DPS in that order.

I really can't think of anything else. I'm not that good at tanking, I just hit buttons and we downed him first night after 7 attempts >.> 3 of which were my fault kiting, and 2 of which were my fault hitting sprint instead of shield so, he's doable. Just be on the ball, know your job and execute the Cyder vid!

Props again to you and your team Cyder, we'd be stuck without you.

Abi~

I notice from the previous few posts that some tanks are experiencing threat problems especially when the sparks are stacked. I personally have been experiencing the same thing from the aff warlock in the raid, I find it helps to get a paladin to macro hand of salvation on high threat members, or even casting them before a vortex. This helped my tanking plenty and ensured none of my raid members died in the first phase.

Rarely do i have threat problems on malygos but occasionally our arms warrior likes to creep up really close to me when he gets a 2 stack of the arcane buff but most of the time a quick intervene as vortex is happening fixes that. So if your a warrior just wait for malygos to fly up then intervene your target with high threat. If your are a paladin you can hand of salv a high threat person. Or if you say have an extra warrior in the raid either an OT or a DPS just have to take about 3 seconds of dps down time and intervene someone with it being only a 30 second CD it is a pretty handy threat reducer.

We got Malygos down on friday (yay us), and much of the credit goes to TankSpot. I'd like to share with you my experiences from the fight (from a druid tank perspective).

This fight is all about damage. Sure, there are some healing issues (especially during the vortexes) but the main issue on the fight is doing damage, and a lot of it.

Your damage comes from two things:

DPS team who is obviously geared to dish out a lot of hurt
    Managing the sparks so they land *correctly*

On some fights, where we would litterally wipe on 0,2%, i kept thinking back to where that spark died too soon, and wasn't available to the DPS'ers. It is really paramount that your ranged are able to drop them correctly.

Once you have the sparks down in a good position, your tank can kite Malygos close to the sparks so the melee has the buff aswell. He doesn't get the buff from the sparks if they are on the ground. Two groups on either side, as proposed above, is not going to work - you're going to lose a lot of damage because only half your raid has sparks on them. With good spark handling, Malygos should get down to 50% fairly quickly.

Phase two is all about burning down the two Nexus Lords so melee has some discs to play with. Mark one with a skull, and have people blow off some cooldowns - its not like they are going to need it anymore after this. If you have excess discs, just have a ranged go up on one aswell (after melee). They might be out of range below, but if they are floating, they can add a bit more heat to the casters.

Phase three is a real kicker - when we finally got him down, we got to phase 3 abou 2-2,5 minutes before the enrage. At first we tried with three healers, then with two, and then we realised that as long as people could follow each other around Malygos, one healer would be more than enough.

A tip for phase three, that i read somewhere, is simply to have people heal themselves for a full fight. You wont kill him, but people can get the general idea of their abilities and the movement of the phase. It worked great for us

Oi, on the whole threat question, i did notice a thing or two about it. As i said above, im a bear tank, and i initially decided that i would simply tank Malygos. After we realised that we were fighting an enrage timer, i bit the dust and had our prot warrior tank him, so i would just go kitty.

I noticed when i was tanking him that i had plenty of threat, and that the warrior, once he did it, was close to losing aggro. I dont know if he is at a loss in this particular fight, or if its just because i have cooldowns (Berserk) to throw at the boss, but he was really struggling with threat, and i havent seen that in a few months :P

To those who notice that they cannot use flame shield or sees it end prematurely...

Flame shield uses combo points as well. Be sure to have at least 3-4 combo points before you use Flame shield.

Additionally, using an attack or a heal cancels flame shield while you are under the effects of it. So be sure not to cast when you have flame shield up.

Edit: This is from doing the quest Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft. If it's anything like phase 3, then all rules should apply.

+ Reply to Thread