+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

Quote Originally Posted by Brainwreck View Post
    Had our first try on Malygos tonight, all went well except for P3. We had a lot of trouble getting the flame shield to work properly, as it seemed pretty hit or miss with its functionality. Does anyone know what exactly is the deal with this bug?
    The rumor is that flame shield will not fire if you have malygos targetted during the phase 2 -> phase 3 transition. Just don't target him until you're on your drake and it should work fine.

The other check is to make sure people have combo points before they try to flame shield.

This video was extremely useful and easy to follow for our guild's first foray into Malygos 10.

We had problems relying upon Death Knights to use Death Grip, half the time they would mis-target and taunt the boss. In the end, after watching the video, I was able to move Malygos around the circle and stack every spark in the center - our Fury Warrior was breaking 10k DPS. After a couple of practice runs on Phase 3, we dropped Malygos and the shield dropped.

This guide was extremely helpful for me and my 10 man team.

Key notes if you are really having trouble with this boss (not saying anything new here)

1 - RESTO DRUID you wont even come close to losing anyone in a vortex I promise. we had 3 people with a max hp of 17500 and it was fine.

2 - In phase 3 dedicate 2 healers (who know what the hell they are doing, keep AOE heal up) everyone else simply hits 1 1 1 1 1 5 1 1 1 1 5 while saving enough energy for shield. If they dont shield when targeted well they simply stink the whole raid just sort of shifts around to the right sticking together.

3 - Imp spell reflect... idk how important it is but well after many many wipes we downed him the first try after I respecced into this lol.

Strafing Malygos

In your video I notice you just strafe without facing him, this is the first time ive tanked (wotlk) and im curious if that is what is intended I strafe but im always trying to face him to dodge or parry, should I just be trying my best to strafe him but not worrying about the incoming damage as much until I get to my location?

We are making it to phase 1 but failing by 30 seconds and in my mind its my fault for not positioning maly right for sparks so dps can truly do its job?

The ideal for strafing is facing 89 degrees away from him. In other words, just short of a right angle. If I look like I'm facing away from him, it's because I'm using hard mouse control at the same time I'm strafing -- but I'm still at a safe angle, which is why I'm able to continue to use abilities.

Thought I'd come back and report that my raid dropped him nice and clean on our second night after a few attempts on phase 3 waiting for people to get used to their dragon.

For those out there like me that have just starting tanking since WotLK came out, moving in phase 1 is a total headache until you get settled into it and breath animations on your raid will terrify you over and over again. I still cringe when the vortex sparks spawn at directly opposite sides of the room, but phase 1 is definitely the most fun I've had tanking in Wrath so far.

Hmm well we downed him tonight with about a minute and a half to spare with 2 healers a paladin and a druid so i think we did pretty good.

However Im still not able to do what you do in terms of strafing is there anywhere i can practice this?

You can practice strafing on any mob in the game, really. The default keys that come with the game are "q" and "e", for walking sideways. I use these along with my mouse to strafe when tanking bosses. Takes some practice, but once you get it down it's much faster moving bosses than backpedaling

Great vid with lots of info. I tanked our first night of 25 EoE last night and we downed him after about 2.5 hours of tries thanks to what we gleamed from here.

Cider, you're the best!

just a tip but if you are a warrior having difficulty surviving the encounter, use Glyph of Last Stand - Item - World of Warcraft

Last stand the first breath after vortex
    shield wall the second breath after vortex
    last stand the third breath after vortex

If you need more than 3 vortexes your phase1 raid dps is too low. Blessing of santuary is a huge help this fight too if you can afford it.

I wanted to thank you for posting this excellant quality and detailed video. We just started this fight and were having issues with the 1st phase and dealing with the sparks. Your video made it seem a ton easier than it was last night and hopefully after another review of it we can make it that. We we also having issues with 2 sparks at a time, 1 would pop and kinda sit there then he'd vortex and pop another one closely after we'd fall and reposition to get the 1st one so by the time we had the 1st one dealt with the 2nd one was a frantic deal. I didn't notice this at all in your video, it seemed clean and you never seemed to deal with two at a time.

Anyway, hat's off to you for taking the time to do this.

Not sure if this has been stated but there is a wyrmrest daily quest that has you fly a dragon. This dragon has the exact same abilities as the dragon in eye of eternity. It's great practice.

Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft

The quest is located near the top of the nexus.

Just a quick note for something that was bugging the hell out of us facing Malygos this Sunday.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT allow classes that can "cheat" the vortex to do so (rogues and locks as far as I'm concerned). After numerous random deaths in phase 1 and phase 2 doing a parse of the combat log we saw a lot of people being hit by <No Target> Arcane Breath <Player in raid> 20K or more (instant death basically). After we said DO NOT do the above - we killed him for the first time after 2-3 tries and we didn't have this random damage.

As stated in the video it's quite tricky to deal with the arcane breath up-on landing after a Vortex in 25 man. We use the same tactic as mentioned in the 25 man video, yet we ping where to NOT go (where the tank is heading). Same thing just the oposite. The key is 100% communication and that the players run the OPOSITE side of the tank. They don't strafe, they don't stand still, they don't look for the shiny sparkles on the ground - they run the oposite direction of the tank until the breath is over.

Last the threat issues will be somewhat part of this fight if you don't deal with it. Use your vigilance, use your intervenes, use your hands of salvation - and you should be fine (given we had a dps warrior doing 13K TPS when popping all CD's while bloodlust was up…).

Other things to consider is having other classes but the MT to help out with debuffs - off-tank or another warrior can keep most if not all of the things up. You as the MT can also refresh debuffs and buffs while in the vortex with out losing threat on the boss.

That's a bit about that. Zzzz-time for this orc

Regards
    Thugs

Quote Originally Posted by bludwork View Post
    just a tip but if you are a warrior having difficulty surviving the encounter, use Glyph of Last Stand - Item - World of Warcraft

Last stand the first breath after vortex
    shield wall the second breath after vortex
    last stand the third breath after vortex

If you need more than 3 vortexes your phase1 raid dps is too low. Blessing of santuary is a huge help this fight too if you can afford it.
    What a good suggestion. I reglyphed based on this.

Thank you for posting this video and providing a very viable and alternate strategy, Cider. My guild tried this Tuesday, and despite cleanly and consistently getting to phase three, we were still hitting the enrage timer. The confusing part for us was it wasn't a lack of dps, as every dps was doing at least 2.5-3k. Having them in the middle made it easy to stack with the sparks, and also meant I was less bored. :P

We tried this strategy last night, and he went down without a fight.

Your not serious with the stupid 25 man note in the 10 man version??? It covers the left have of the movie.. I cant see the sparks u are trying to show me on that side?? Leave the notes for the written section and the 25 man info fro 25 man video..I am trying to see what u r talking about but u have that god dang note up for the first couple of minutes........

WTB Slaplen in Wrath

nice work

looks like a really interesting fight.

i've also heard that the "Aces High" quest in coldarra was either made for or can be used for practice on the 3rd phase

Quote Originally Posted by littleboots View Post
    Your not serious with the stupid 25 man note in the 10 man version??? It covers the left have of the movie.. I cant see the sparks u are trying to show me on that side?? Leave the notes for the written section and the 25 man info fro 25 man video..I am trying to see what u r talking about but u have that god dang note up for the first couple of minutes........

WTB Slaplen in Wrath
    I'd suggest you turn annotations off. It's a lot faster than making this post.

Malygos with out Dk's

Great videos Cider very informative. I have a quick question for you folks. I have used the DK death grip strat in 10 mans for pulling sparks to the center for stacking and it works very effectively. However we are getting our first night of good attempts on Maly tomorrow night and sadly we only have one raiding DK for varios reasons.

So my question is this with the absence of DK's in a raid I find myself looking at the options of tanking him in the center of the platform and breaking the raid up into 3 groups placing them at 3 locations except behind the location of where I am tanking. Thus each group will be responsible for killing sparks that spawn at them and they get that buff.

Given that we only have a couple attempts the other night on 25 man maly im not sure how this will pan out in the grand scheme of enrage timers and what not.

With out a DK and death grip isnt kiting a pretty bad strat. Or would people advise to just have the raid move to the spots when needed. I personally lean towards static spots for people less moving more dps from people with or with out the spark buff. Im sure we will figure it out tomorrow night just thought I would pick your brains ahead of time.

Thanks in advance.

Triank I think you're misunderstanding the movement strategy we're using -- it's specifically so we don't rely on Death Knights. By moving Malygos, you can guarantee that sparks always go over the center and don't need to be death gripped. Having Death Knights makes it easier but is not required.

+ Reply to Thread