+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Eye of Eternity Malygos

I dont know what our time was for entering phase 2, but we entered phase 3 with a little over 3 minutes. Like 3:15 or something close to that and we lost a person or two in the beginning of phase 3 and ended up downing him being 30 seconds into the enrage timer. You should be fine if you keep your people alive.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

For Malygos 25, I'm curious what type of tank other guilds are using. I'm a prot warrior, and for this encounter, I've been forced to use a feral druid tank instead. The feral's health is considerably higher than mine (35 vs 44), which smooths out the very dangerous vortex landing phase, which was 2-3 shotting me. Even the druid gets in trouble on that landing.

Is Vortex, land, melee, breath just something the healers need to learn to deal with or is there something I'm missing?

We used a Warrior tank for all of our 25man kills so far, I'm not sure if its just bad luck on your end to be getting melee/breath right after landing or not (honestly havent payed attention to that part) but I dont think I remember us ever dying to that yet, so I imagin its either luck or your healers just need to keep you full and sending heals at you once they drop.

As for Ciderhelm, really nice video IMO, the kiting him around thing looked really effective, a tank that can move around and still do his thing is a good tank in my books! (its like hunters, anyone can play them.... only so many can do a good job at it) grats on the kill =D

and ROFL @ fact blizzard made the freaking bubble reflectable.......
    Last edited by Norek; 12-05-2008 at 01:58 PM.

can the arcane breath or whatever its called be spell reflected?
    well find a way when all hope is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Regill View Post
    For Malygos 25, I'm curious what type of tank other guilds are using. I'm a prot warrior, and for this encounter, I've been forced to use a feral druid tank instead. The feral's health is considerably higher than mine (35 vs 44), which smooths out the very dangerous vortex landing phase, which was 2-3 shotting me. Even the druid gets in trouble on that landing.

Is Vortex, land, melee, breath just something the healers need to learn to deal with or is there something I'm missing?
    My guild uses myself (Paladin) to tank Malygos (and most of naxx).

I did initially have a bit of issues on the Vortex->land->breath->melee combo as well. But once our healers figured how much healing is needed and have all their hots on me, we've not had any problems with tank death.

For reference, I have 28k HP unbuffed (not sure what my raid buffed HP is off the top of my head.)
    Last edited by Exia; 12-05-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Alot , Ciderhelm.

For posting a very nice video of the Malygos encounter.

we managed to get him down on our 2nd try doing your way of handling the Sparks.Stacking em all together in the middle of the room.and we got to Phase 3 with like 3 mins to spare and even tho some of our raiders failed on putting up the Shield thing we stilled managed to kill em.

Added a note on the breath after vortex for 25-man (embedded in movie) and added a low-res version.

Quote Originally Posted by Regill View Post

Vortex -> land -> breath is the script. He can get a melee hit in there. They need to learn to top you off right away. I did it fine with 38k HP the first kill. Phase 1 was never a problem.

Edit: I went back and remembered that I had about 38k for the heroic maly. Sorry, 10 man and 25 are confusing me. You need 38kish to survive his burst.
    Last edited by Zapp; 12-06-2008 at 07:33 PM.

I'm a Prot warrior myself, one of 2 MT's. We use a feral druid on Malygos because it is much safer. His high hp make it easier for him to survive the hard hits and the breaths combined. He has about 8-10k more hp than me, me being at 35k, he at 45k... Added that he has more reliable mitigation it's pretty clear. Feral druids seem to be pretty much better in tanking evertyhing atm. More tps, more mitigation and a lot more hp. For everything else a warrior is no problem at all, same goes for a paladin.

What we did this week was root the power sparks. Wait till you get 2 and then when the third one comes kill all 3. You will get 3 stacks for the full duration instead of 1 or 2 max. By the time you get the third spark you should get into phase 3 before you get spark number 5. And you can nuke him down to about 35-40% easily like that. We tried rooting 4 and killing them at 5 sparks but it was too risky with roots breaking during Vortex and messing it all up. You can't really speed up phase 2, but you can make phase 1 go a lot faster and get him lower than 50% during his p1->p2 speech.

i'm a priest, the other two healers in my raid are pally and shammy, so during the vortex i'm the only healer spamming coh but it's not enough to keep up the raid

what should we do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by simuthwyl View Post
    i'm a priest, the other two healers in my raid are pally and shammy, so during the vortex i'm the only healer spamming coh but it's not enough to keep up the raid

Lilie posted about that above. CoH has issues actually hitting targets during Vortex, so it's difficult to deal with. That's the same balance we had (switch the Shaman with a Resto Druid).

Make sure your raiders have all available health buffs. In addition to your Fortitude, make sure they have Blessing of Kings, Commanding Shout (or Warlock Imp), etc., and a food buff. This encounter is just frustrating until everyone focuses on their own health bars.

Quote Originally Posted by simuthwyl View Post

if ur not using a pally tank ur holy pala can spam Sacred Shield on ppl in raid will help will use alot of mana but better than ppl dying

My guild had our first night of attempts on Malygos 10 tonight and I'm very pleased with the level of difficulty on him.

While I was getting used to moving him around though, I was encountering some strangeness on Malygos' actions. Occasionally when he decided to drop an arcane bolt on someone in the raid he would immediately breath along with of it, wiping us immediately. I also had occasions where he would just turn round and melee someone else for no apparent reason (I'm *fairly* certain threat wasn't an issue). I was confused about why it was happening, but he appeared to stop doing it when I moved him in a tighter circle around the raid but it could just have been someone snuck ahead of me in threat with no real indication besides their deaths.

Is there anything the raid can be doing in phase two to help mitigate bolt damage? Our healers seem to be having a hard time primarily keeping themselves alive, especially at the beginning of the phase. If all the scions decide to bolt the same person at the same time it does a fairly huge amount of damage and, being a paladin, imp spell reflect isn't really an option. I have a feeling it may just be a case of our healer's health being too low, but they're sitting at around 20k buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondoudou View Post
    My guild had our first night of attempts on Malygos 10 tonight and I'm very pleased with the level of difficulty on him.

While I was getting used to moving him around though, I was encountering some strangeness on Malygos' actions. Occasionally when he decided to drop an arcane bolt on someone in the raid he would immediately breath along with of it, wiping us immediately. I also had occasions where he would just turn round and melee someone else for no apparent reason (I'm *fairly* certain threat wasn't an issue). I was confused about why it was happening, but he appeared to stop doing it when I moved him in a tighter circle around the raid but it could just have been someone snuck ahead of me in threat with no real indication besides their deaths.

Is there anything the raid can be doing in phase two to help mitigate bolt damage? Our healers seem to be having a hard time primarily keeping themselves alive, especially at the beginning of the phase. If all the scions decide to bolt the same person at the same time it does a fairly huge amount of damage and, being a paladin, imp spell reflect isn't really an option. I have a feeling it may just be a case of our healer's health being too low, but they're sitting at around 20k buffed.
    Like Vaelastrasz and other dragons, this should not actually be happening. When he faces to turn the other way it's considered instant (even though the animation stays), and a breath should still hit the tank. You'll see in my video this happens too.

Watch to make sure people aren't getting ahead on Threat, which is entirely possible in this encounter due to the stacked sparks.

Per bolt damage, it can be difficult to deal with, particularly when you don't have many healers to work with. There is a lot of raid damage you're dealing w/ throughout the encounter.

I noticed that the scions can hit for about 17.5k if you're not in a bubble. For this reason, I generally save my spell reflect for when the raid has to move from one anti-magic zone to another.

Using a DK tank (me) works well. We've done 25mans first the first time 3 days ago and we had no trouble during phase 1 with a DK tank. Unholy specced with 39.3k hp buffed and 100% up time on BoneShield/IceboundFortitude makes that breath damage very very weak.
    Cartoon | US-Caelestrasz-Horde | Death Knight

i really like teh way u explain stuff make it fel so easy thanks for all the awesems videos

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Like Vaelastrasz and other dragons, this should not actually be happening. When he faces to turn the other way it's considered instant (even though the animation stays), and a breath should still hit the tank. You'll see in my video this happens too.

Watch to make sure people aren't getting ahead on Threat, which is entirely possible in this encounter due to the stacked sparks.

Per bolt damage, it can be difficult to deal with, particularly when you don't have many healers to work with. There is a lot of raid damage you're dealing w/ throughout the encounter.
    Wrath is my first real foray into tanking, but I know what you mean about the breath animation being misleading. I have a feeling someone must be sneaking ahead of me on threat, catching me by surprise. The issue disappeared once I got the hang of what I was meant to be doing in Phase 1, so I'm growing more certain that it wasn't anything I was doing with Malygos but rather that I was paying too much attention to him and not enough to the basics of my rotation. The affliction lock in our raid is the bane of my existence in this phase, his threat generation once he gets all his dots up is pretty insane.

Regarding bolts, I had a feeling that was the case. We just need to work on the push at the beginning of the second phase, as if something's going to wrong in this phase it generally will be right at the beginning when all six NPCs are still alive.

Going to ninja edit a thank you in here too, your videos are crystal clear and your explanations (especially on Malygos) really help!

Had our first try on Malygos tonight, all went well except for P3. We had a lot of trouble getting the flame shield to work properly, as it seemed pretty hit or miss with its functionality. Does anyone know what exactly is the deal with this bug?

I found that at certain positions, I was able to still hit malygos in p1 during vortex, (ie. I was doing the spinning thing, but my character was somehow still in melee range). It seems that Malygos remains at the center and if everyone moves to the center prior to vortex, there shouldn't be too much healing issue?

Also, I'm like you Cider, I can't see combo points in p3. All the raiders in my guild that uses x-perl or perl unitframes can't see them despite having combo points enabled. Since we emphasise on stacking engulf as fast as possible, we just mentally count 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2. I can see if we're stacking 5 "1"s, it might become problematic.

+ Reply to Thread