+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Damage shield. not worth it?

Umm 5% damage vs. a one minute extra buff time on commanding shout????????

And to say as a MT CS is needed? in a 25 man? What are your OT's and dps warriors doing then. To waste any rage or a CD for a party buff as an MT when others can do the same thing? I still dont see how 2 talent points for 5% overall damage you deal and it's passive you did not target the mob, you did not hit the mob you simply stood there is a waste?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Andenthal View Post
    Just because you've increased your chance to Dodge by 10%, does not mean you will block fewer attacks, but you will still receive fewer "hits". Unless your attack table is completely filled up, you will still block attacks equal to your block % on your character sheet, and you will of course still have attacks land as a "hit".

Also keep in mind that Dodge, Parry and chance to be missed are effected by Diminishing returns while Block is currently not.

Also, as you gear up, your SBV likely goes up as well, increasing the amount that Damage Shield hits for. True, it might proc slightly less often, but when it does hit, remember that it's also multiplied by Shield Block and anything else that modifies SBV.
    You do realize that Damage shield procs off of regular hits too right? So the more avoidance you have the less times it procs. Your block rating has very little to do with the complaint people have about damage shield since its trading one for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldragoriad View Post
    You do realize that Damage shield procs off of regular hits too right? So the more avoidance you have the less times it procs. Your block rating has very little to do with the complaint people have about damage shield since its trading one for one.
    It's just funny to see this because the [AoE Prot] Paladin has dealt with this issue now for a long time with it's reflective damage and Reckoning - frankly it's quite amazing the Prot Warrior gets Retribution Aura and Holy Shield all wrapped up passively for a couple Talent points!

Along with nice and easy ways to raise BV, these reflections can crit, and can even trigger and stack DW... I chuckle about the complaint a little. No offense to those who have it, but coming from Prot Paladin and seeing such mobility, utility, and arguably superior reflection [basically a built in scaling PLG to boot] it's a bit tough for me to take it too seriously.

But maybe now with the Warriors attention on the problem something will be done and hopefully the Paladin would get a similiar fix and be allowed to keep up with Warrior AoE Certainly fixing one but not the other would be a bit of a slap in the Pally face.
    Last edited by CKaz; 12-17-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by demoniclizard View Post
    but it is still great, perhaps maybe if combat mechanics were changed to make a fully blocked attack take priority over dodge/miss on the table? (maybe parry too but since that basically gives you a hasted attack thats not a good thing)
    I thought about that too, but still in the end you want to avoid an attack fully before blocking it on a raid boss, right? It came up on my Prot Pally first -> Holy Shield + Redoubt + my block with Reckoning, Sheild spike, possibly PLG, I'd wish the tables were set up that way for damage.

But primetime you do adjust for it. Maybe dual-spec will have you drop parry and/or dodge for aoe clear if avoidance isn't a big issue (eg trash).

Without changes though yes, avoidance pushes some of this reflective off for both classes as it stands, but some of it stays useful. In the Paladin's case though that's why Reckoning loses points or often even goes away completely.

Damage Shield is apart of my bread and butter. Using a DW build, and having the ability to roll DW on mobs i love it, makes aoe tanking a joke. There is...one place or time actually when you should spec out of it....ZOMBIE FEST! yes for the achivement to work you have to spec out of it warriors or else it makes it that much harder to complete. nothing like pulling the entire first part and running somewhere else to grab a few more and hearing your healer say " OH S@#T".

Well in trying to get the dumb winterfest hat I was running thru stocks. Put on my avoidance set just to see what would happen and pulled the entire instance. Casting only Demo Shout I cleared the entire instance w/o a single attack. Damage Shield killed it all.

Yes if you don't get it it does nothing but when you get hit you get a passive 150-300 hit back I say thankyou blizz. If it was a five point talent I think i'd spend it there over S&B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the issue is less whether damage shield is worth it or not vs what other possible threat talent could you replace it with while still getting shockwave? You should already have them all in the prot tree.

Imp Spell reflect is still garbage until everyone gets an individual charge instead of just one charge for your whole party.

Don't forget that damage shield can also crit.

If you are specced into deep wounds, damage shield will proc it.

And (I maybe incredibly mistaken here...I tend to only study tanking) deep wounds and crits can possibly benefit the party's damage in other ways (Trauma perhaps?).

So although there may be merit in picking other talents like imp SR, overall I would say damage shield is most definitely worth it.

I have damage shield AND imp spell reflect. Always have even before i copped Cider's cookie cutter impale build.

Imp spell reflect gives 4% spell miss too. In addition to that, you can reflect more than one spell with spell reflect. It depends on timing. Two instant cast spells can both be reflected with one charge. With imp spell reflect an entire party can reflect a volley. Also, its a great way to grab agro on a caster add that wants to pelt your healer. I prefer 2/2 imp spell reflect over 2/5 cruelty but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by jlafleur View Post
    Also, its a great way to grab agro on a caster add that wants to pelt your healer.
    Whoever it was being cast at gets threat, even if you're responsible for it bouncing off them

Improved spell reflect

I find that with improved spell reflect and vigilance, Heroic violet hold goes onto easy mode, even for an undergeared group. simply pop it whenever it comes up, and the Void boss's (I forget his name) void spawns almost kill themselves.

Damage shield is godly.

My only complain is that I had to respec out of it to complete Zombiefest!

Quote Originally Posted by brain9h View Post
    My only complain is that I had to respec out of it to complete Zombiefest!
    Or you could just take off your shield >.<
    I never dropped below 75% doing it this way

considering that imp SR can cause misses from dragon's breath weapons, thats 4% does shine. Damage shield on the other hand is insane, especially if you thunderclap for initial aggro and then shield block for the extra DS damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Paramount View Post
    Don't forget that damage shield can also crit.

If you are specced into deep wounds, damage shield will proc it.

And (I maybe incredibly mistaken here...I tend to only study tanking) deep wounds and crits can possibly benefit the party's damage in other ways (Trauma perhaps?).

So although there may be merit in picking other talents like imp SR, overall I would say damage shield is most definitely worth it.
    These are great points right here---damage shield will proc deep wounds and does benefit from scaling with crit rate and block value. Deep wounds benefits from bleed synergies, thus damage shield /w deep wounds benefits from them.

I'd agree that improved spell reflect is also worth picking up(I haven't dropped points from shield block yes, and when I do tonight/tomorrow this is where they'll go), but it isn't worth losing the points in DS for. Damage shield is approximately a 500-1k TPS boost, passively, without deep wounds. It is more with it.

+ Reply to Thread