+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Damage shield. not worth it?

Damage shield. not worth it?

Well like the title implies, looking through a current WWS of a full naxx 25 clear it seems like damage shield is only making up 5% total damage from fights and even trash.

I don't know how much threat is generated from it but I'm sure it is minimal so it might be safe to say damage shield might not even be worth it and you can put 2 points in something else that might have more value.

Also for all the Imp spell reflect haters, it is godlike on Malygos Phase 2 spamming it every time it is up saving damage on raid members and doing damage to the mobs. With client side lag and whatnot it can also reflect multiple arcane blasts from those mobs.

oh yea the wws for people to see Wow Web Stats

What other talents are there that give you a 5% damage increase for 2 points?

2 Talent points and you pick up a passive 5% total damage....I can't see where to spend it better. Any suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Considering damage shields primary function (to me at least) is threat on secondary targets do you really think a straight damage break down is fair? Unless you're looking towards another mitigation talent is there anything else that is going to help you that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Homunkulus View Post
    Considering damage shields primary function (to me at least) is threat on secondary targets do you really think a straight damage break down is fair? Unless you're looking towards another mitigation talent is there anything else that is going to help you that much?
    This is precisely the reason damage shield is really a must have for protection warriors.

As for Imp. Spell Reflect, I personally don't see how I wold ever want anyone else to eat my spell reflect charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceravantes View Post
    This is precisely the reason damage shield is really a must have for protection warriors.

As for Imp. Spell Reflect, I personally don't see how I wold ever want anyone else to eat my spell reflect charge.
    I was under the impression that spells reflected from party members did not eat your own spell reflect (although I haven't tested it myself yet). If it does then I agree that it weakens the talent significantly.

I actually picked up imp spell reflect to counter the fun fun RNG of 25 Malygos scions double bolting and insta KOing the lower HP members in my raid when we were running from bubble to bubble.

Yeah, I was surprised too that I found a use for it.

The spell reflect talents are absolutely spectacular, especially for heroics. Some bosses just stand there and cast. Some bosses never, or rarely, cast on the tank (final boss from culling of strat comes to mind) so it's not like someone else 'eats' your reflect.

It's strange to me that people overlook the passive benefits of this talent as well. 4% chance for opposing spells to miss.

What initially put me off improved spell reflect was it was tested that despite your talent spell-reflecting damage from your group members, the threat generated does not pile on you, but on the victims.

In a free-wheeling fight where there are loose aoe mobs, this could spell disaster, but so far, I haven't seen significant encounters like that. And it's truly helpful for encounters with aoe-happy bosses.
    Last edited by Elyvern; 12-02-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefear View Post
    Well like the title implies, looking through a current WWS of a full naxx 25 clear it seems like damage shield is only making up 5% total damage from fights and even trash.
    5% damage increase an amazing talent for generating threat on off targets aswell as heroics and soloing. Its only 2 talent points and oh dear god its amazing.

You used sr 23 times in that naxx run, thats really not very often. If you really want imp sr you can get it and damage shield its very easy. There are lots of worse talents out there that we take that you could remove points from.

damage shield is great combined with shield block on large packs of mobs, it allows your dps to recklessly aoe

the only complaint i have with the talent is that you are penalized by increasing avoidance, since it doesn't work when you dodge, parry, or are missed

but it is still great, perhaps maybe if combat mechanics were changed to make a fully blocked attack take priority over dodge/miss on the table? (maybe parry too but since that basically gives you a hasted attack thats not a good thing)

I guess I'm talking from a MT pov because 5% for me is not enough to even bother I'm personally trying a new spec of 5/15/51 and getting imp shouts 2800 hp commanding is pretty nice. I did try an impale spec but the threat was not needed and the damage was decent for soloing and probably 5 mans but again MT pov is where I'm coming from wtb dual spec system plz.

But as for the imp spell reflect 4% spell miss IS a defensive stat and will almost always be in all of my builds. Those of you who haven't tried 3 drake sartharion for 25 man the breath can actually miss you saving a ton of damage and in some cases a 1 shot since it can hit in the range of 22-33k.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefear View Post
    I guess I'm talking from a MT pov because 5% for me is not enough to even bother I'm personally trying a new spec of 5/15/51 and getting imp shouts 2800 hp commanding is pretty nice. I did try an impale spec but the threat was not needed and the damage was decent for soloing and probably 5 mans but again MT pov is where I'm coming from wtb dual spec system plz.

But as for the imp spell reflect 4% spell miss IS a defensive stat and will almost always be in all of my builds. Those of you who haven't tried 3 drake sartharion for 25 man the breath can actually miss you saving a ton of damage and in some cases a 1 shot since it can hit in the range of 22-33k.
    Could you link the actual 5/15/51 spec you're considering so we're all on the same page here?

The World of Warcraft Armory

You could easily put the 2 points in Imp demo shout but atm content right now is a joke and until they actually make something where I find the need for it, I'm just going to be lazy and have a commanding I only need to buff every 3 minutes.

So you're basically trading 5% damage for ~500 HP??
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Funny, I've always made the Fury warrior pitch up the Improved shouts. We often end up w/a couple just in 10 mans tho, our guild tends to play what we want and make things work

Forced to agree here.

For a strict 25-man-raid-only build, mayyyyyybe you could find the damage to be inconsequential. But nobody plays their tank only to tank raid bosses, and for all the other things you go out and do, damage shield's effect becomes that much nicer. It's kind of fun to run into the cathedral in Scarlet Monastery and aggro the boss, then clear the entire group -without drawing your weapon-. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by demoniclizard View Post

the only complaint i have with the talent is that you are penalized by increasing avoidance, since it doesn't work when you dodge, parry, or are missed
    which is my problem with it too. months ago when people were posting up "how would you improve warriors blah blah" , before damage shield was a known ability, I had posted about it. My version did threat, not damage (but damage works) and worked off of block/parry/dodge (avoidance) to counter the fact that as your gear gets better, your ability to generate agro gets worse. Damage shield partially fixes this but I too still thin it needs to be including avoidance stats.

I'm guessing Blizz's move to let Warriors do more damage is their way of giving us more rage. Rather than rewarding avoidance stacking.

I still think damage shield is worth it at higher avoidance levels even though the times it procs goes down as dodge/parry/miss rise. Your sbv should also be going up, so that you do more dmg each time it does proc.

Also SB% tends to go up faster than dodge/parry/miss anyways so you can keep procing damage shield without getting killed by mobs as you advance in content.

Quote Originally Posted by demoniclizard View Post

Just because you've increased your chance to Dodge by 10%, does not mean you will block fewer attacks, but you will still receive fewer "hits". Unless your attack table is completely filled up, you will still block attacks equal to your block % on your character sheet, and you will of course still have attacks land as a "hit".

Also keep in mind that Dodge, Parry and chance to be missed are effected by Diminishing returns while Block is currently not.

Also, as you gear up, your SBV likely goes up as well, increasing the amount that Damage Shield hits for. True, it might proc slightly less often, but when it does hit, remember that it's also multiplied by Shield Block and anything else that modifies SBV.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

+ Reply to Thread