+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talent Specs - Shield Specizaliation

Talent Specs - Shield Specizaliation

I've been seeing a lot of tanks sporting only 2/5 Shield Spec lately. I'm seeing the trend increasing as more and more Warrior tanks are hitting 80.

I've looked for this info all over the place, but can't seem to pin down a good answer as to why not go for the full 5/5. Anyone have any comments or can point me in the right direction so that I can read up on this line of thinking?

Thanks all!

My perspective is that it's not that 5/5 is bad, its just that there are so many other talents out there that are very attractive indeed.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

For a general all-purpose spec tailored slightly towards DPS/Threat, getting 5/5 shield spec isn't really possible. For more mitigation-centric specs, 5/5 shield spec is definitely acquired however.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Yeah I have seen alot of this going around as well. The key to the talent is that it increases your % chance to block attacks which normally requires block rating to increase. This results in very low block % for tanks who decide to not get the 5% talented. To some this is worthwhile depending on their role. A tank who is going to be eating the biggest and heaviest hits from the nastiest bosses, should probably try to mitigate as much as possible, and therefore should probably go for the 5/5. However, if you were simply shooting for the highest damage possible, then there are talents out there that can warrant dropping 3 points in this.

For me, i figure the job of the tank in nearly any situation is to make himself (or herself) as hard to kill as possible. This relies heavily on your avoidance and mitigation working to push off as much damage as possible in any situation. So i will always have this points at 5/5.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Appreciate the replies, folks. These are the same issues I've been butting my head against.

My guild is just about ready to start raiding again, and I have played with a bunch of different specs to date. I guess I won't know for sure how well any of them work until I'm actually back in a raid dungeon. I should probably go in with survivability in mind and see how easily we breeze through the content before I attempt a more threat centric build.

Thanks again!

My experience so far as a MT in wrath is that threat is a non-issue. Make your gear and spec choices for DPS and mitigation/avoidance, and your threat will be there automatically.

My guild has completed most of the 25-man content in wrath (only 4 bosses left) and I've been using this 12 / 5 /54 spec all through with good results.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

When you get up against those bosses like Patchwerk, you'll want all the mitigation and avoidance you can get. So far there has been only one fight that was a struggle for me on keeping threat and that is Thaddius -- and that is only because the entire raid gets polarity buffs to damage which I'm not getting as the MT -- but even then I still manage ok.

My threat has been fine so far for everything for bosses but I really worry what will happen when some of the other classes like Ret Paladins and Mages/Warriors get more gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Scargoth View Post
    My guild has completed most of the 25-man content in wrath (only 4 bosses left) and I've been using this 12 / 5 /54 spec all through with good results.

WorldofWarcraft.com -> Info -> Classes -> Warrior -> Talent Calculator

When you get up against those bosses like Patchwerk, you'll want all the mitigation and avoidance you can get. So far there has been only one fight that was a struggle for me on keeping threat and that is Thaddius -- and that is only because the entire raid gets polarity buffs to damage which I'm not getting as the MT -- but even then I still manage ok.
    Agreed, I use the same spec basically but after I picked up some more things from my first naxx 25 I dropped 3 from shield specialization and finished up 5/5 cruelty.

Also, if your not getting the polarity buffs -- your guild is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sippin View Post
    Also, if your not getting the polarity buffs -- your guild is doing it wrong.
    Yeah we made the adjustments needed and beat him down. We followed that up with Sapphiron and a 1-shot on KT for our first full 25-Naxx clear.

And I picked up the Last Laugh axe too!

+ Reply to Thread