+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cider's Easy 540 Defense Gear Guide

Hard to maintain

I'm not sure if anyone else is having any problems, but i am finding on many occasions that i can get pieces of gear with better stam/str/dodge/block/parry but i cannot put them on because i would drop below the defense cap

although, i think i will have to admit the only defense enchant i currently have is the chest enchant, because i am poor and have very low professions so almost no money making abilities....so aside from my obvious laziness does anyone see a way to fix this i mean i cant even wear gear from the EoH vendor >.< very very frustrating

Re: Guide

Hi:

I love the guide, it's helping me a ton as I gear up these last few levels. I have a question though: a lot, if not most of the items listed give just defense rating (excluding stam/strength, etc.). Obviously once I hit 80 I'll be fine w/ defense cap, but won't I be lacking in dodge/parry/block? Should I gem/enchant/stuff for those stats or sacrifice some defense rating for avoidance?

Missing the quest reward tanking sword from icecrown, Blade of the Empty Void - Item - World of Warcraft

It's about same itemlvl as the ZD tanking weapons, for DKs it goes nicely with them. Entire questchain can be soloed at 77/78.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgroth View Post
    Hi:

I love the guide, it's helping me a ton as I gear up these last few levels. I have a question though: a lot, if not most of the items listed give just defense rating (excluding stam/strength, etc.). Obviously once I hit 80 I'll be fine w/ defense cap, but won't I be lacking in dodge/parry/block? Should I gem/enchant/stuff for those stats or sacrifice some defense rating for avoidance?
    right now, as it stands, healers are typically strong enough to heal you through anything that can be thrown at you pre-raid. this includes all heroics.

aim for 535 defense skill and then start heroics. once you get some heroic drops, you'll see more of them itemized with avoidance as well as your other tanking stats. but when you first start heroics, you'll be relegated to mostly tanking blues that lack in avoidance. also, pick up the mats for the crafted epic shield and ring, maybe the neck and helm (its getting buffed in 3.0.8) and you'll be golden.

Great list cider, very helpful for people who just dinged and need to begin gearing up.

Trinkets

Two trinkets I used (admittedly pre LK)
    Adamantine Figurine
    Regal Protectorate

I eventually got the one from HoL Seal of the Pantheon but it took me SO many runs. I don't care if i ever see that place again. Perhaps these two can be quicker alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jearie View Post
    right now, as it stands, healers are typically strong enough to heal you through anything that can be thrown at you pre-raid. this includes all heroics.

aim for 535 defense skill and then start heroics. once you get some heroic drops, you'll see more of them itemized with avoidance as well as your other tanking stats. but when you first start heroics, you'll be relegated to mostly tanking blues that lack in avoidance. also, pick up the mats for the crafted epic shield and ring, maybe the neck and helm (its getting buffed in 3.0.8) and you'll be golden.
    Awesome, thanks very much. I just hit 542, got the epic shield crafted. I don't have enough gold for the ring/neck/helm, and anyway I figure I'll need it later for enchants (don't worry, I've enchanted my current gear).

My guild thinks that I'm not ready for heroics, though. I'm sitting at 20k health, around 20k armor. Can I at least start some of the easier ones or should I work on more health?

This guide was very helpful and since when did u go fury cider!? you taught me how to tank with your vids and when I was watching you guys in naxx on youtube lol

he did it purely for fun and for the 6min malygos fight. He's still a tank, no worries kiddos.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Hey Cider, can you by any chance update this post to match your updated post over at WoW's tanking forum?

much appreciated.

you may want to add Adamantine Figurine - Item - World of Warcraft adamantite figurine do to the fact that there is no other trinket pre naxx

I found that hitting 540 as a DK was kinda difficult until I actuall sat down and put some research into it. We're gearing up to try Naxx this weekend. I don't know how we're gonna do but I am hopefull. Thank you for such a great forum. I found this site very helpfull.

The World of Warcraft Armory
    "If you can't pay enough attention to not stand in the fire then you probably shouldn't be allowed to breed."

Quote Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
    I found that hitting 540 as a DK was kinda difficult until I actuall sat down and put some research into it. We're gearing up to try Naxx this weekend. I don't know how we're gonna do but I am hopefull. Thank you for such a great forum. I found this site very helpfull.

I do not believe hitting 540 defense as a DeathKnight is hard, mostly because you have the Rune of StoneSkin Gargoyles or something with gives +20 raw defense.so you have a boost on all the warriors and paladins.
    Tanking and Failing at the same time is my job.

DKs can hit 540 def no problem without stepping into an instance...

All gear is crafted or can be earned through reputation grinds or quests.

I just wanted to say thanks Cider, your site has really helped me learn more about tanking and this post in particular, as of last night helped me to get to 540 defense (and at level 78 no less). This is a great resource and I've recommended it to the other tanks in my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are no 2h's itemized with Defense at the moment.
    I think what he is asking is... considering the fact that DK's actually get a HUGE +25 defense SKILL addition from Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle (which only works on 2H weapons)... for a list of 2H weapons that maximize tanking efficiency for a DK tank (which would no doubt be using Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle on his/her 2H weapon).

I would preferably go with a weapon that has a high amount of stamina and strength... possibly one with more strength than stamina.... due to DKs' parry.

couple corrections...

Ivory-Reinforced Chestguard is 56 defense rating, not 60. (Maybe it changed since the guides inception.

Eternally Folded Blade is a drop (as you've described), but you've got it listed as a quest reward.

Finally found my dream site!ty cider well informed and so helpful keep up the good work FOR THE HORDE!

These kinds of lists are invaluable for those of us coming back to the game after a period away.

I dinged 80 two days ago, and was pug instance grinding for gear to hit the heroic def cap. Needless to say, it wasn't going well. I read this thread, spent 200g (I was amazed at how cheap it was) on the full set of tempered saronite gear, and within an hour, I'm at 537def, and I've got my first wrath heroic as a tank behind me. Pinnacle, no less.

Thanks Cider. Your work is greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread