+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise vs Hit Rating in WofLK

Expertise vs Hit Rating in WofLK

Given the new higher caps at 80, and the fact that much of the gear, enchants, potion and food buffs can be adjusted I have had no trouble reaching the dodge expertise cap of 26 and maintaining 540 defense but my hit rating is only 1/2 of the cap. Should I sacrifice some expertise for hit rating instead? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jmarek (Exodar-US)

Are you DW (Needs + hit above any thing else), two~handed (does not need any) or sword & board ( some is nice to have but not if you are gimping your self)?

This is entirely dependent on how much expertise you would have to give up and how much hit you would gain. For every 1% of dodge/parry reduction you give up, you'll need to gain 2% hit to make up for it since expertise lowers 2 of the mob's avoidance stats.

And if the "cost" is equal, expertise will remain better because of the damage reduction from incurring less parryhasted attacks. Infact, expertise is going to be a fair bit better than other options regardless due to the damage reduction it offers.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by ussnorway View Post
    Are you DW (Needs + hit above any thing else), two~handed (does not need any) or sword & board ( some is nice to have but not if you are gimping your self)?
    What?

From what I've seen and experienced DW needs expertise more than hit at first to prevent getting gibbed to death by bosses. From the DW DK perspective I hit twice as much thus it make more sense to reduce the chance I'm going to get spanked by a boss before go for those missed hits.

expertise > hit untill you are capped.

I'm going to add a slightly dissenting opinion here and say that for threat and DPS though once you hit the dodge cap 1% of expertise is equal to 1% hit until you can no longer miss or be parried.

However, there is the damage reduction component to expertise and that is going to skew any comparison between the two.

My big question here is: does anyone have any actual numbers on this I suddenly find myself very curious about how much extra damage parry hasting really causes in a world with no shield block charges to eat.
    Farothin of Rexxar <Avaledan>
    Paranoia is just another word for longevity.

I'm not much of a math guy, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this, granted I'm numbers stupid but, there's a paragraph from the EJ forums that for every point of expertise it's -.25% dodge / parry and +.5% hit. If this is true, and 9% is still the cap for 80, what is the cap to not miss white swing / abilities for a boss level mob? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Stamina is even better than expertise in terms of survival from parrygibs according some modelling here, 2nd page.
    In the OP's situation though, I'd go for defence probably unless you're already hitting ugly DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Solanthious View Post
    I'm not much of a math guy, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this, granted I'm numbers stupid but, there's a paragraph from the EJ forums that for every point of expertise it's -.25% dodge / parry and +.5% hit. If this is true, and 9% is still the cap for 80, what is the cap to not miss white swing / abilities for a boss level mob? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.
    Expertise reduces your chance of your attacks being dodged and parried.
    Expertise does not reduce your chance of missing an attack.

And just in case,
    Hit rating reduces your chance of missing an attack.
    Hit rating does not reduce your chance of your attacks being dodged and parried.

What you quoted from EJ is poorly worded for sure, assuming you quoted accurately.

See http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4...questions.html for info on hit and expertise caps.
    You may also want to read http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/3...bat-table.html if you aren't clear on how attacks are resolved in WoW and how your stats affect the various outcomes.
    Last edited by Armstrong; 12-07-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

+ Reply to Thread