+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warrior Tanking Glyphs - Devasate or Sunder

Warrior Tanking Glyphs - Devasate or Sunder

Hi tanks,

Any thoughts on whether Sunder or Devastate Major Glyph is better for heroics and raiding. I have heard devastate does get the threat bonus from the second application, but not sunder if the 2-target sunder does either. I am using the revenge and block glyphs otherwise.

Thanks,

Jmarek (Exodar-US)

Neither. Use the Last Stand glyph + Blocking and Revenge.

You lose 10% of the HP that last stand gives, but a 2min cooldown vs a 5min cooldown is more than enough to make up for it.

20% hp is more than enough of a panic button, and it means you can use that button more often.

For heroics, I would (and do) use both. Applying 3 sunders per devastate, which isn't in my ideal threat rotation very often, helps my damage dealers chew through mobs faster.

If you were only going to use one, I'd recommend the devastate glyph. Being able to fully sunder something faster will increase your threat, and your group's DPS where it counts for more (bosses). There are a lot of fights where the potential for sunder to fall off is high, or certain, and if you're OT'ing in many raid encounters, being able to get a full stack of sunders up quickly can help your damage dealers out.

If your main concern is main tanking raid encounters, then neither one will likely be that useful. I'm not a big fan of the last stand glyph, so my glyph setup in that situation would probably be blocking, revenge, and either devastate or heroic strike or taunt (if under hit cap).

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalphir View Post
    Neither. Use the Last Stand glyph + Blocking and Revenge.

You lose 10% of the HP that last stand gives, but a 2min cooldown vs a 5min cooldown is more than enough to make up for it.

20% hp is more than enough of a panic button, and it means you can use that button more often.
    Do you put yourself in such a bind every 2 minutes that it warrants popping last stand?

Personally, I don't and I rarely hear of people that do. I'm after the huge HP boost and not a new ability that I can use as often as possible.

I'm still using Revenge + Heroic Strike + Blocking for single target mitigation and threat. I really really wish we could have a second set for aoe tanking and dungeons though cause I would totally run Sunder + Devastate + Blocking.

I'm not a big fan of last stand. I have it I use it, but in my opinion using it every 2 minutes can be dangerous. Last stand is panic, not for often use, because it *will* wear of and that might not always be at a good time.

I run with Sunder + Blocking and plan on adding Devastate at 80. You have to ask yourself what’s my job/ play style and glyph accordingly. It’s pointless having block if you are always off tanking.

This may have been answered somewhere I simply have not found it yet. I was wondering if Glyph of Sunder Armor works when using devastate to apply the Sunder Armor effect. Basically with this glyph, do you have to be using Sunder Armor to get the second effect or will devastate apply the Sunder Armor to two targets?

I dropped Revenge for Devastate and I am quite pleased. Being able to quickly punch out 5 sunders on every mob surrounding you is huge, especially when combined with the Sunder Armor Glyph. It does not hurt on boss fights at all, having both of these. Typically in both multi-mob and boss fight encounters, rage is a non-issue, so paying for the extra sunder on another mob and for that one heroic strike every six seconds really does not make a difference. And, of course, Glyph of Blocking is the cake the rest of the icing falls on.
    Loyalty above all, except Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Abishai View Post
    with this glyph, do you have to be using Sunder Armor to get the second effect or will devastate apply the Sunder Armor to two targets?
    Works with Devastate

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...tml#post103975
    Armstrong
    <Elysium>
    Burning Legion US

Quote Originally Posted by Bayho View Post
    I dropped Revenge for Devastate and I am quite pleased. Being able to quickly punch out 5 sunders on every mob surrounding you is huge, especially when combined with the Sunder Armor Glyph. It does not hurt on boss fights at all, having both of these. Typically in both multi-mob and boss fight encounters, rage is a non-issue, so paying for the extra sunder on another mob and for that one heroic strike every six seconds really does not make a difference. And, of course, Glyph of Blocking is the cake the rest of the icing falls on.
    I would have to personally say that i could never warrant dropping the glyph of revenge. It alone allows you to get off a heavy revenge and a completely free yellow attack heroic strike for 2-5 rage depending on talents. This allows you to use HS on a more regular basis and makes for much higher damage in the long run. I really would not advise any tanks to drop the glyph of revenge for anything. Use revenge, blocking, and then have options.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Yeah... revenge and blocking should be in every serious tanking set of glyphs. I've experimented with cleaving/devastate/sunder/last stand/resonating power/heroic strike for the last slot and I'd say that devastate is the winner for me. It's a very convenient glyph, and given the absence of other great options I'll take the dps/convenience-maximizing option any day.

1. Blocking
    2. Revenge
    3. Whatever else you want. Nothing else is essential for MTing a Boss.

I chose Cleaving and I really like it. TC has a 6sec CD, SW is 20sec, being able to spam cleave in between those other moves helps to kill stuff faster. It helps at all levels too: solo, 5-man, 10-man, 25-man, so I feel it is more versatile. We already have Incite to give 15% more crit chance on it, may as well make it more useful.

Threat isn't the issue for me, I want to kill stuff faster.

In a single mob fight (i.e. bosses or big trash) your threat isn't really tied to how fast you can sunder up a mob any more. Nowadays it's all about those SnB Shield Slams and Revenge. You can still sunder up a mob fully in about 10 sec to get the armor debuff. So I don't feel the devastate glyph is really needed here.

In a multiple mob pull you don't need sunders at all. Everything will die too fast regardless. You just need agro, and any way you can get agro is fine. TC + SW is usually a total lock on threat for me. So I don't find the sunder armor glyph particularly useful here either. I use cleave just to help with the AOE dps.

I went with Blocking, Revenge, and Cleave.

Sunder and Devastate help on trash, but most AoE is magic based, so I just opted for cleave. I just don't see trash living long enough for sunders to out damage the output of cheap cleaves.

Dual Spec tank/tank

Quote Originally Posted by Lightmgl View Post
    I'm still using Revenge + Heroic Strike + Blocking for single target mitigation and threat. I really really wish we could have a second set for aoe tanking and dungeons though cause I would totally run Sunder + Devastate + Blocking.
    I hated carrying two sets of gear so I dropped my dual spec DPS and now I'm Dual spec Boss-tank/AOE-tank.

I dont have to change my gear (or at least as much of it) and I get to have two completely different styles of tanking available. Using Rend, Block and Vig glyphs and then putting talents a bit more towards dps I can hold as much aoe agro as a paly tank. Then I go back to full mitigation 1 on 1 tanking for bosses.

And best of all I never have to spend another point of DKP rolling on a damn DPS piece ever again. I sold my dps set and made a couple hundred gold, felt so good

NOTE: I only recommend making a cleave tank if your gear is good enough to make up for loosing the other talents. not only do you loose a defense glyph you should climb the arms tree at least 13 points to increase your cleave damage. If you cant take the hits you need to be more defense orientated and just yell at the agro whores who keep pulling off you

And before you flame me, I only use the Vig glyph because my gear is high enough to make heroics a joke. The 8% agro taken off your biggest agro whore noob-storming AOE button smasher helps keep the idiot alive and the healer happy. Sure I could have taken revenge but I honestly dont need it unless it's a raid or a boss, and then I go back to main spec which has it.
    Last edited by rabidcow; 12-09-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Talk about thread necro =P
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Necromancy was always one of my favorite topics!

I personally think, there are only a few serious choices for glyphing a warrior tank.

A. Dual specced in Prot/Prot

Then you will want to have a strong, survivalbased hardhittersetup like

1. Last Stand
    2. Shield wall
    3. Devastate (simply for having at least the most basic threatglyph and due to lack of another great survivalglyph - I donīt consider glyph of blocking as a survivalglyph).

And you will want to have a threat/aoe setup for dpc races or trash

1. Blocking
    2. Devastate
    3. Sunder, Vigilance, Cleave or Revenge (depends on the situation)

B. Dual-specc is a DpS specc:

Then you will want to have one set of glyphs that offer both: a solid boost to threat while maintaining the most crucial survival components.

I personally have only 1 protection specc and my choice is this:

For those not speccing improved disciplines I would recommend

1. Devastate (I consider it to be a MUST for all warriortanks)
    2. Shield wall
    3. Blocking or Revenge

Without improved disciplines but using the shield wall glyph (but not LS) you will have a 3 minutes cooldown on both, shield wall and LS, which makes them a bit easier to manage.

For those speccing improved disciplines I would reccomend:

1. Devastate (I consider it to be a MUST for all warriortanks)
    2. Shield wall
    3. Last stand

(This one is actually the set of glyphes I use myself)

For all those setups it is always nice to bring some glyphes into the raids to change glyphs if necessary (for instance a stack of taunt glyphs and one stack of the glyphes you swap for taunt). This makes you the most flexible tank possible

Speccing Imp Disciplines in my single prot spec, I use Glyphs of Devastate Shield Wall, Devastate and Taunt. Cleaving tends to get swapped in instead of Shield Wall for heroics.

Reason I don't pick up Last Stand: I have it macrod to Enraged Regen (+ any HP trinket I have) as I don't consider LS enough as cooldown on it's own. And considering ER is 3min, no point glyphing LS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

i use devestate shield wall blocking no need for anything else no need to swap out i tank trash and bosses perfectly. this is the combo some of the best tanks use go armory kungen for example getting 5 sunders off that fast is amazingly helpfull and tab devestating on AoE pull whilst spamming thunderclap f that trashy cleave BS nothing works better. nuff said

spamming tab+devastate sometimes works. sometimes doesn't. I find it's great when there aren't any rogues in group. If your in a good size mob spamming devastate+tab, and that rogue pulls off you for just a few seconds, it can cause shortness of life for the rogue. tab assigns in random order.

+ Reply to Thread