+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Naxxramas Gluth

Gluth is probably one of the hardest fights in the instance if I had to pick. My group usually does this with a mage kiting but unfortuneately they always rely on heavy assisstance (IE a hunter bouncing between tranq shot, DPS, and Frost traps; a top DPS ele shaman [me] dropping DPS to run to the back of the room to drop earthbind*; and a key healer doing the same in a different spot to get a bigger slow area). You'd think that this would be a sure fire method but it's not uncommon for us to wipe on Gluth 3-5 times which is frustrating, expensive, and a waste of precious time.

That said alot of the posts I'm reading up on have got me to thinking on some what I feel key points to this fight for 10 man at least.

Of the various slow/root effects the top ones are frost trap and those that come from mages. Now why not earthbinds you ask? First of all because they proc slowly, not entirely sure but as a shaman I can say that about half the time mobs will get through about half of the effected area before the totem procs it's slow on them. This in itself might not be so bad, just keep them slowed, however you also can't see where the effected area is exactly. Additionally there's the DPS or healing loss of having a shaman move to where you need the totem which personally is about a 4-600 drop in DPS (but that could just be that we like to kite them quite far back).

Your earthbind(s) should be used as back up, they're there with the casters if there's no other option and they let a healer who gets a zombie move around a little bit until your kiter snatches up the sneaky little bugger. Also be aware of knockback effects (ele sham, druid, fire mages) which can be used as a last resort especially after decimate.

As for which class specifically to have kiting, I wouldn't recommend mages first of all. They don't have the HP or the armor neccessary to take hits and even the best kiters will end up taking hits with the sheer number of zombies. The ideal class really has to be a hunter. They have ranged attacks which deal a high amount of threat (very neccessary for grabbing up the zombies, a great deal of my group's problem is lack of threat from the kiter), they can slow the zombies on command, they have enough health and armor to shrug off the occasional hit, and of course disengage is as awesome as blink for kiting.

Regardless of who you have kite, run speed increases. I know for a fact there is a meta gem out there for just this, put it on a spare helm and wa-la. The effect probably isn't all that great but an oddball fight like this every little bit counts.

As a last minute note your kiter needs to remeber that more than like there will be a 100% HP zombie spawning while you're trying to AOE the weakened ones, they can not get carried away with AOE and let the zombie run around loose.
    Last edited by Senti; 03-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.

we did gluth last night, and my DBM was off on the decimate timer. it wasnt jsut a second or 2. it waas a big difference, up to 20 seconds. is any else having this issue? how would i go about fixing this, or is it a simple redownload?

get a fury warrior with piercing howl to do the kiting, either that or a ret pally in tank gear works aswell except you need the hunter traps or a shamen to drop his totem.

Successfully solo tanked Gluth on 10 man last night. It was out of need and not to see of we could do it or anything but we had a couple of subs last night and I realized after we had killed Grobs that we really had no one to kite....or dispel the enrage.

Kids, don't try this at home.

So, our other tank took the zombies and I took Gluth. One of our subs was an extra healer because we were down to the last minute with filling the last spot. Really, it comes down to timing cooldowns. I got the 10th stack of the healing debuff right around the time decimate came, at which point I blew SW, LS and a dodge trinket and we pulled it off. The debuff dropped and I sucked up some massive heals and we took him down.

And we were on pace for Undying until our other tank got his positive and negatives confused on thaddius....doh. Still, cleared Construct, Spider, and Military with one death on a boss fight.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

I've also solo-tanked Gluth on 10 man as a druid. It's not actually that bad, as Horacio correctly said it's about timing cooldowns properly and preparing for the next decimate and so on.

It does get a bit hairy when there's 10 stacks of the debuff on (which means -100% healing) so I use barkskin with my two dodge trinkets in rotation while theres between 5 and 10 stacks up. If I'm unlucky and have 10 stacks when decimate hits I'll blow Survival Instincts straight after to ensure I don't get gimped.

I am still investigating this, but if you put your back where the door and the door frame meet, Gluth's pathing will activate. He will walk back and forth in front of the tank and rarely will he tag you with (2) stacks of the debuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"In other news, Sarth 3D makes me want to stab kittens." - Horacio

Hi guys I got a question you my hopefully be able to answer me:

My guild really struggles with Gluth in Naxx10. We got a Mage and sometimes a Shaman for kiting. I talked long with all the raid members and the mage who tried to kite them always said, that the healer pulled aggro and he did not get it back.

In my opinion I always thoougth, that once shot by an ice lance the occasionally fired ice lance and cone of cold would easily be enough to keep aggro but as he told me it surely was not and so our one heal , a shaman healer (the two others - both priests - never had aggro) always had aggro.

After several tries (round about 5-10) to get the mage into kiting we closed raid down and called it a day.

So my question would be: is it really possible for the healer to hold aggro that "good" that even some ice lances can't bring the Mob back to our kiting mage? And if that is hve you got any idea how to avoid that problem?

greetings and thanks in advance
    Karnak

PS.: since our guild is pretty small we do not have a hunter for it would really be a help planting frost trap etc.

Karnak, my first Naxx 10 runs were running into the same problem. We actually had a hunter kiting as well as a shaman dropping earthbind, and the hunter had a really rough time keeping the chow off the healers. Finally we put a ret pally in his tank set back there with an excellent healer and it worked like a dream.

We were able to drop him regularly after that, but lately a new problem popped up. The two tanks up front were myself (prot warrior) and a pally. When it came time for me to taunt Gluth back, it said he was immune to my taunt. I tried again, and the same thing happened. Finally I had to use mocking blow to force Gluth to face me. The pally and I were really close on threat, so it wasn't a threat issue - it was a taunting issue. The pally was able to take him back with no problems. When it came time for me to grab him again, I ran into the same issues. Since mocking blow was on cool down I even resorted to challenging shout. We still got him down, but the next week (with the same pally tank), I had the same issues.

Did Gluth change? Was I doing something wrong? Did the pally do something strange? Was this just a freak accident about being immune to taunt for me but not to the pally? Has this happened to anyone else? It's not the end of the world (we still got him down both times), but I'd really like to know what was happening.

The thing you are encountering is the fact that taunt falls under diminishing returns(since two patches ago I think).

If you taunt to often in a certain window of time the target get's a higher chance to not be affected by taunt (miss). when you repeat the taunts while this debuff(mocking blow also adds to the diminishing return same as taunt does, so invisible debuff with counter) is still active, it stacks up to 4. The fifth time you taunt the mob'll get immun. If by then you do not have Gluth you cannot get him via taunt for - I think it were - 15sec. So check how often taunt is used overall, and be sure to only use taunt abbilities (such as Taunt itself and/or Mocking Blow) when really needed. and be aware of the time between the taunts.

It maybe a little bit buggy (it is sometimes with me and my guild) but mostly after one or two taunts/mocking blow I got him.

good luck with the in my opinion buggy taunt mechanic!
    greetings
    karnak

One way to do this (which is how my guild does it) is if you have a DK tank. I was the OT for a naxx 10 and my MT was a pally with nice gear. what we did is he could take the stacks of gluths debuffs so i was kitting the zombies in the back. this was very easy to go because i did not need a healer devoted too myself so they could focus on the tank. So its a nice little suggestion to anyone whose guilds are having trouble with gluth.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnak View Post
    The thing you are encountering is the fact that taunt falls under diminishing returns(since two patches ago I think).

If you taunt to often in a certain window of time the target get's a higher chance to not be affected by taunt (miss). when you repeat the taunts while this debuff(mocking blow also adds to the diminishing return same as taunt does, so invisible debuff with counter) is still active, it stacks up to 4. The fifth time you taunt the mob'll get immun. If by then you do not have Gluth you cannot get him via taunt for - I think it were - 15sec. So check how often taunt is used overall, and be sure to only use taunt abbilities (such as Taunt itself and/or Mocking Blow) when really needed. and be aware of the time between the taunts.

It maybe a little bit buggy (it is sometimes with me and my guild) but mostly after one or two taunts/mocking blow I got him.

good luck with the in my opinion buggy taunt mechanic!
    greetings
    karnak

It isn't special to gluth has been in the game since they bought taunt under diminishing returns and it is 15secs. Hit immunity you have to wait 15sec before you can taunt again. Never seen taunt ever bug or heard of any complaints from fellow tanks.

The issue comes about usually because the tank that is handing him over doesn't stop tanking. Taunting only makes you even and gives you focus for a little time it the other tank doesn't stop tanking and using his high threat moves good luck getting him if he generates more agro than you. The same issue occurs if you are handing over in 4 horseman .. make sure the tank handing over knows he has to stop tanking.

On a side issue to solo tanking him does any pally know if bubble cancel removes the debuff stacks?
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 08-09-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post
    It isn't special to gluth has been in the game since they bought taunt under diminishing returns and it is 15secs. Hit immunity you have to wait 15sec before you can taunt again. Never seen taunt ever bug or heard of any complaints from fellow tanks.

The issue comes about usually because the tank that is handing him over doesn't stop tanking. Taunting only makes you even and gives you focus for a little time it the other tank doesn't stop tanking and using his high threat moves good luck getting him if he generates more agro than you. The same issue occurs if you are handing over in 4 horseman .. make sure the tank handing over knows he has to stop tanking.

On a side issue to solo tanking him does any pally know if bubble cancel removes the debuff stacks?
    Well, a good tank will lessen his threat output after the other tank taunts, but it really shouldn't matter that much - he needs 110% of your threat before pulling aggro off of you, and that shouldn't be instantly attained.
    If he does instantly get that, the problem probably isn't with his doing too much threat - it's with you doing too little.

I understand the mechanic.

Don't believe me try it get two dissimilar threat tanks and get them to go flat out and ask the lower tank to try and taunt the target off the first tank. Alot of times the mob doesn't even show a target switch yet they clearly have a taunt debuff on them but I think this is just animation lag.

Edit: My gut feel is the high threat moves like shield slam, HOTR etc must take the tank instantly back over the 110% threshhold

The issue usually comes up when the tanks are only just ahead of dps and they feel they can't back off threat.

Seen this issue many a time never seen any sort of taunt bug.
    Last edited by uglybbtoo; 08-09-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

+ Reply to Thread