+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Naxxramas Gluth

the debuff always resets at 4 seconds, even in the 25 man we had the offtank a DK in full dps gear with dpsing the entire fight, i would count down at 11 seconds with a 4 stack, he would taunt right at 6 seconds, get hit once i would taunt back imediatly as soon as he got the debuff, and even with the debuff still on me and it would clear before he refreshed it.

so you do not really need an offtank

Will probably be taking this thing on in 10 man tonight and my raid makeup is a little troublesome. I am leaning toward having a DK aggro the chow and a resto shaman healing him as well as dropping Earthbind. I have no mage and the hunter is going to be a sub. He can drop back and place a trap every CD. That leaves a tree and a CoH priest on the tanks.

Our DPS output is not particularly high and I am pretty much forced to turn my rogue loose to go ape on DPS or the overall DPS will be weak, so the FoK + Crippling is out. Actually, I have 2 rogues for tonight, both high damage/stud players. It might work out ok. We'll see.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

As much as I like the normal way of doing things......got a little frustrated tonight with my group and ended up I was gonna kite the adds (prot war) after a few attempts with mages, pally, dk variations. raid setup was:
    2 prot war
    2 mage
    2 holy pally
    1 holy priest
    1 shadow priest
    1 enh shaman
    1 dk
    through charging, tc, ht, and /point laughing i kept the adds on me and maxed out the debuff by the end.......first try this way and he went down....dunno if that'll help anyone but just wanted to get it out there that if a prot war can do it anyone can....well maybe not anyone.....and to keep the ms from stacking too high the dk would taunt off long enough for it to wear off....

I'm a big proponent of prot warrior add kiting also. I do it in 10 and 25 mans. Resto Sham/Me in 10 and Resto Sham/Mage/Me in 25s. Its one of the more fun things to do in the instance imo.

Ended up with only 40 stack in 10 man, though our DPS is pretty strong.

25 man I usually get nearly maxed out. 90-95 stacks.

Hunter Kiting

I've recently joined a raiding guild on "Gisok" My 80 hunter, and am put in charge of solo kiting the adds on Gluth, You guys seem to brush it off a bit like it is no big deal. I am, however, finding it increasingly difficult. Holding aggro, not getting hit too much so that the healers can keep up, and all the same trying to keep aggro off the healers, it seems a bit obsurde to me that anyone could solo kite this well just on any average spec. Now, that being said, i have a pretty nice KITING ONLY build i have constructed for this fight only. The problem is that it seems a bit superfluous for me to be switching speccs for this one fight. Now i can't help but get the feeling i'm doing something wrong. I am an MM hunter, when kiting i use every instant cast shot i have to get aggro, frost trap as often as possible to make a perfect kiting area, and disengage whenever it's off cooldown to get some distance between me and the zombies. But seeing as i have no points put into improving my traps, nor my disengage, nor, really, any of my kiting ability (not exactly usefull in traditional raiding) i can't help but think that i would have to switch specs to fill this role. Please post your thoughts -Sorry this message was soooooo long

Hunter Kiting

I as well an had issue kiting gluth on my first attempt. I've been looking all over for a video of it being done. I was able to find a video of a paladin doing it, and I think I'm ready for it this week. However, a video of a hunter doing it would still be useful (as I may still fail this week), and surely would do the same for other hunters with the same problem in the future.
    Last edited by Vinyen; 12-23-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missing indefinite article

One thing i had seen that holy damage is less resistances then spell damage in the warth lich king raid. But I am not full sure what is percent def resistancesoff fire /frost/ nature/ arcane /shadow vs holy damage
    the boss. In know also with raid setup in for what class/spec for raid instance we running
    I think that because about 80-90% naxx is undead a ret pally both hybor priest spec holy /Discipline for incearse holy spell dmg / crit will be high more effect.

I got the privilege of solo-kiting the chows tonight for our last 10-man before the holidays. The fun part was I had my own healer to make sure I was alive. I spec crappy for raid dps but I prefer it because I am massive utility as a 0/0/71 Frost mage. I can't say for hunters or other classes but a mage can definitely solo it if they're comfortable with their spec and mass kiting. Though I will admit I died right at the end because I miss clicked blink and ran right into the group of chows.

Possible hotpatch to Gluth's Zombie Chow behavior?

My guild has had success with the Gluth fight over the past 3 weeks. Our first two weeks fighting him, we one-shotted him each time. Last night, however, we were unable to get him down below 25% despite several attempts.

Our raid leader is a mage who has kited the Zombies for each of the 3 weeks. He says he noticed a change in the zombie's behavior this week - they were much more difficult to kite and keep off the healers. The healers would go OOM healing themselves from zombie attacks, and at Devistate, a tank would get smooshed while at the 5% health.

We've had so little trouble with the fight the weeks of 12/9 and 12/16; but then we get repeatedly stumped this week. Has anyone else noticed a change in the Gluth fight - specifically in the behavior of the Zombies?

Our raiders are the same from previous weeks, and everyone's in the same role. I'm wondering if the fight got hotpatched to correct some behavior of the zombies. That, or perhaps our healer's upgrades have starting to produce larger heals and more aggro.

Any other mage kiting tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Faldron View Post
    Any other mage kiting tips?
    This may sound a little biased towards what I play but it's what I know and how I do it. I play a 0/0/71 Frost, the spec isn' ideal as the cookie cutter arcane-fire or the new frostfire spec. But when it comes to kiting, survival and playing games with mobs who aren't immune to slow I shine. Some stuff your mage kiter should look into are;

Frostbite (3/3)
    Ice Flows (3/3)
    Perma Frost (3/3)
    Arctic Reach (2/2)
    Frost Channeling (3/3)
    Ice Barrier (1/1)
    Cold Snap (1/1)
    Cold as Ice (2/2)
    Improved Blizzard (3/3)
    Shattered Barrier (2/2)
    Chilled to the Bone (5/5)
    Improved Water Elemental (3/3)

Glyph of Water Elemental
    Glyph of Evocaion

Now your kiter should have his three mana gems, mana potion/injector and Ice Armor and Ice Barrier up as often as possible. On the 10-man I've notice that the chows only spawn from the middle grate (so you know where to watch). The armor and barrier are a passive slowing device agains the chows, if they hit you they'll be slowed. When they shatter the barrier it's like getting a free frost nova.

To grab a chow I find a few icelances work well, or if it's a fresh group (after devastate) a frostbolt is ideal as it has a slowing effect. The main thing you'll want to do is backpedal away from them and cast Cone of Cold. With all the talents affecting your chill duraton and speed you can walk backwards and they won't catch you. With the cooldown on cone of cold reduced you can also apply it before it wears off on your chows.

Now your tools are your elemental (a ranged frost nova) that has a two minute cooldown and its duration one full minute. Frost Nova which is a mage staple. Blink which is useful if you have a group of chows and you need to turn the group around but can't get around them. And if your HP gets dangerously low and your designated healer is pre occupied, nova them and evocate (glyph of evocation heals your hp).

Now to deal with the devastate, nova them to hold them in place. Hit them with blizzard, the improved blizzard talent will help slow their race to Gluth and each tick has a chance to hold them in place if you put points into the frostbite talent.

That's all I can think of right now, my keyboard is acting funny so if you spot spelling errors please let it slide a bit. If there's anything else I can think of later I'll add it in.
    Last edited by Kheapathic; 12-25-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Paladin kiting is probably the easiest simply because consecrate does your job for you after you leave. Encourage them to re-glyph to the longer duration consecrate for this fight. The real trick is finding a paladin that truly understands how to circle strafe without ever getting dazed. I used to kite all these guys as a holy paladin in 40-man Naxx.

If I had a paladin to play, I'd make a video of the kiting like nobodies business.

So I ave readthe thread and wasn't able to find the info on how much the chows actually hit, is 1 hit survivable for a squishy kiting mage, how hard do they hit on the kiting classes (mages, Hunters, and a tank if you have one for chows)? Any info would be great.

Nice Work !
    Death n Decay Main Tank
    Eu|Crushridge|Alliance|Kirkhammet http://wow.magelo.com/profile/163805

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalenemy View Post
    So I ave readthe thread and wasn't able to find the info on how much the chows actually hit, is 1 hit survivable for a squishy kiting mage, how hard do they hit on the kiting classes (mages, Hunters, and a tank if you have one for chows)? Any info would be great.
    Without the debuff they seem to hit for about 1500-2000 damage on cloth/leather. But the real problem is the stacking debuff they leave with every hit that increases the damage taken by 100 per stack (max. 99). So, you can take some hits, but at some point it's not healable anymore.

I kite on my DK, for this one. I have a Hunter or Shaman toady frost trap/earthbind and I dance in circles for the duration of the encounter...refreshing DnD when up...DG the stragglers...rough stuff

I had an interesting experience in 10 man Gluth tonight. This was our first night attempting this, and after several wipes we were having a really good attempt. However, on the second Decimate, our OT died. We were worried that it was going to be a wipe, but we kept going anyway. Our MT was topped off, and healers kept him that way until he had the 100% debuff. I just sat there stop casting until I could cast a heal, and we managed to heal through a few more stacks. Gluth was downed, and the remaining 5 member or so managed to burn the rest of the zombies down, including a new one that spawned. It was an epic kill, although no one could use any gear that dropped. We may do this from now on, as an extra dps may help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozefighter View Post
    I kite on my DK, for this one. I have a Hunter or Shaman toady frost trap/earthbind and I dance in circles for the duration of the encounter...refreshing DnD when up...DG the stragglers...rough stuff
    I don't think the Kite of Zombie is too hard, we farm Gluth both 10 and 25man and use the avaible class we have at the moment of the encounter, so i don't think there's a specific class for kiting, with a Sham and an Hunter it's rly simple I suggest you to kite them in a eight-way path around the hole, lol wait I wrote in a brutal mode :V I post an img so it's isi to understand

Death n Decay Main Tank
    Eu|Crushridge|Alliance|Kirkhammet http://wow.magelo.com/profile/163805

We got our first shot at Gluth 10 man last night and it proved difficult for us, just handling the zombie chow. We used a fire mage and then added an elemental shaman to the mix and together they had trouble holding threat off of the healers and staying alive.

I suspect its more a matter of them figuring it out and getting it down. I'm sure the mage would have an easier time if he were frost as opposed to fire. Other than that, Gluth is a big wuss. He hits fairly weak (rogue poison kept the enrage in check) and healing up decimate was not an issue.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    This is true, though if a healer casts a heal to top people off while in the tube, Gluth will evade the charge since he'll be targeting the healer which he is unable to attack.
    Ah, I wondered why he evaded on me when I charged last night.

We have whoever the OT at the time of decimate is go and help kill some of the zombies. It's not much, but a few extra TC's and Shockwave helps out that extra little bit.

can anyone make a suggestion on how to due this with a melee heavy group?

our typical group is

pally tank
    dk tank
    rogue
    rogue
    ret pally
    blood DK
    BM Hunter
    Holy Priest
    Resto Shammy
    Holy Pally

+ Reply to Thread