+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Heroic Strike Keybinding.

I have a logitech mouse with multiple buttons, and I have really found that having your interrupts, reflects, and heroic strikes controlled by the other hand is easier for me.

With shield bash, reflect, and heroic strike/cleave outside of the GCD, I just find it easier to have my left hand keeping that 1.5s rhythm while my left hand throws out the more reactive elements. Could just be the way my brain is wired though.

Somewhat tangentially, I have to say that if anyone else here is playing with OSX and hasn't used steermouse, try it. It's a better driver for logitech mice than the one that logitech ships with their mice for windows.

I shifted my movement keys over to ESDF which allows me to bind all the keys around those. My big 3 abilities are bound to G, T, and R, with R being a revenge/HS macro. I generally slam R or V (cleave) 3 or 4 times between each GCD. It's effective and keeps me focused and awake. I gotta try the mouse wheel binding though, seriously that is brilliant.

Oh yeah and my TC is bound to 3 (carry over from my pally days when 3 was consecrate).

I've had HS bound to "F" for some time now, placing it here allows me to use the 1-5 keys and simultaneously HS with ease. I use 1-3 for devastate, shield slam, and heroic strike. I have cleave hotkeyed to "Z" for a similar effect when I want to use it. Essentially, I have a large hotkey pool surrounding the standard movement keys(no, I don't keyboard turn). I have Thunderclap bound to a side mouse button, and shield block bound to the other side mouse button(the front-side button requires a bit more movement from me than I like for a spammed ability).

I have my mouse wheel bound to stances, with the mouse wheel click bound to defensive. Spinning the wheel while doing other things has never been intuitive for me, though it does seem popular to many. In the duration of a charge or intercept I can arrive at the target in any stance I want and also am able to seemlessly use retaliation while tanking.

I like how it all sets up--I had three white swings total on my last patchwerk, so I'm getting the HS's in and, in fact, HS regularly trumps my shield slam damage without rage starving me.

About the only refining I'm looking to do is to make some of it a bit more accessible while backpedalling and strafing, to make me more effective on Grobbulus and Heigan the Unclean. I don't have threat issues on the two fights, but I do feel like I could be cleaner on them as I sometimes resort to clicking some debuff items that I have hotkeyed and normally am able to rely on the hotkeys for.

Ever since I got my revenge/HS glyph I've done away with HS altogether.

My Revenge hotkey is:

/cast Revenge
    /cast !Heroic Strike

I obviously want to use Revenge if available when i hit it; other than that I'll tap it to keep up HS to dump rage, the "!" meaning i cannot accidentally cancel it.

My heroic strike is bound to shift+4. Usually I'll hit my hotkey for it, but I find when I really need to dump rage, I have to click it because I can't hit shift+4 and run my normal rotation at the same time and still be able to hit HS every 1.5 sec when my weapon swings.

Ever since I got my revenge/HS glyph I've done away with HS altogether.

My Revenge hotkey is:

/cast Revenge
    /cast !Heroic Strike

And that's beautiful, thanks for that. I'll have to try that out tonight sometime.

My hotkeys are as follows: -

#1 Taunt
    #2 Rev/HS (macro)
    #3 SS/Conc. Blow (macro)
    #4 Devastate/Heroic Throw (macro)
    #5 TC/Cleave (macro)
    #6 Shield Block

Alt#1 Bloodrage
    Alt#2 Shockwave
    Alt#3 Conc. Blow

I'd be basically spamming buttons #2 and #3 after 5 sunders. Ocassionaly hit #4 when Heroic Throw is up or to refresh sunder. #5 is awesome for AOE, however it is not advisable if u are rage starved.
    I am but just a warrior.

I got used to a 5-button-mouse/keyboard-combo:

f1 - shield wall with "Shieldwall activated"-shout macroed (how often can someone hit that button during the gcd, inducing a cardiac arrest to the healers? )
    f2 - last stand (tried the same, but didnt find the icon in the macro-icon-pool?)
    ^ - commanding shout
    1 - auto attack
    2 - shield reflect
    3 - tc
    4 - conc. blow
    q - spot (maybe iŽll put intervene on shift-q in the future, which i however never really used since wrath-release)
    e - devastate
    r - shieldbash/pummel macro
    f - heroic strike
    shift-f - cleave
    g - undead-antifear
    h - berserker rage
    y (european) - shockwave

pos1, end, del etc. - skull and some other marks
    capslock disabled via registry-hack, i hate that button

middle mouse button - charge (lovin`it)
    thumb mouse button 1 - shield slam-macro with all usable trinkets
    thumb mouse button 2 - revenge-macro with shield block

the revenge macro is easily swappable with the standard revenge-button if not needed (i swapped pretty often in bc (because of rage), depending on the boss, since wrath-release i have used the macroed version only)

the only flaw: strafing right while spamming hs is not really possible solution: always run to the left :P
    Last edited by Debulla; 01-03-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Personally, I have Heroic Strike bound to Shift+F. I'm going to switch to a macro with Revenge (currently bound to E), so I get both with one button. However, after reading the other tanks using mouse wheel up/down, I may give that a shot ... up until today, I've always clicked on Cleave because I couldn't find a good place for it keybinding wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Debulla View Post
    f2 - last stand (tried the same, but didnt find the icon in the macro-icon-pool?)
    Use the question mark icon for the macro, and type #showtooltip at the start of said macro. It'll load the tooltip and the icon for you, without the need to search through endlessly for the matching icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayre View Post
    What you can do is put Heroic strike on wheel-down, and then put cleave on shift+wheel-down. Something I should actually get around to - I have HS on wheel-down and cleave on 6.
    I didn't like Cleave as wheel + shift, cause when I wanted to spam it, I was forced to keep shift pressed and that messed up the rest of my keybindings.

Because of Glyph of Revenge i made a macro that looks like this...

#Showtooltip Heroic Strike
    /cast Revenge
    /cast Heroic Strike

that way i can up my threat generation spamming heroic strike but because HS isn't on the GCD so when revenge procs it casts it and queues up another HS. and with glyph of revenge you get that next HS with no rage all with one button but i keep revenge on a bar by its self so i can see (if i dont see the pop up from MSBT) if/when it procs

Quote Originally Posted by Wartorn View Post
    And shift+scroll to zoom your camera.
    <3 You're a lifesaver

Since I move with ESDF, I keybind Heroic Strike to G.
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

I've recently swapped to using mouse scroll for HS and can't recommend it enough. Really has made life a load easier.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Don't know if anyone else is similar but personally when rage is abundant I simply spam 2 (HS) With Middle finger while my index finger goes 3-3-4-5 (Yea I know SnB Stuffs that, but most of the time I'm to lazy to drop hold habbits haha)

I have HS on E and rev on 4 so my indexfinger bounces between 4 and E most of the time(got the rev/hs glyph). Thunderclap is on mouseweel forward and demo shout is on mouse wheel back.

Lately i have been playing a resto drood though since there are 10000 tanks for each healer atm. Anyway after installing grid and clique i have become a hardcore clicker only using my left hand for chips/beer/food/*insert random unhealthy consumable*. Tbh i need to start playing a mele class again before i end up looking like an owlkin in RL
    Last edited by nips; 01-06-2009 at 08:13 AM.

1 = Revenge
    2 = Devastate
    3 = Taunt/Mocking Blow via shift modifier
    4 = Shield Block/Thunderclap via shift modifier
    5 = Shield Slam
    6 = Shockwave
    E = Shield Bash/Pummel via stance
    R = Conc Blow
    T = Demo Shout
    G = Charge/Intercept via stance and shift modifier
    V = Bloodrage
    X = Commanding/Battle Shout via shift modifier
    Alt 1/2/3 = Stances
    Alt 4 = Berserker Rage
    Alt 5 = Disarm
    Alt 6 = Cleave

The rest of the alt keys I can't remember as it's so damn late. Q and F are both bound to jump, so that depending on the direction I need to move, jumping's easier to achieve and less straining on the hand (a keepsake from my Hunter days).

1, 2, and 5 use the following macro (with abilities swapped out, of course):

Code:
    #showtooltip Devastate
    /startattack
    /cast [modifier:shift]Devastate;Heroic Strike
    /cast Devastate
    Hitting the button uses the ability and queues up HS; holding shift just uses the ability in low rage situations. Fights like Malygos allows me a bit easier movement of my hand when strafing since I'm not having to spam as many buttons while moving.

+ Reply to Thread