+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Strike Keybinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartorn View Post
    And shift+scroll to zoom your camera.
    Would this have to be a macro? Or do u just press shift+wheel after unbinding zoom in/out? Wouldn't it just use shift once that was pressed?

My mouse wheels currently are:

Mouse wheel forward:
    /dismount
    /cast charge
    /cast bloodrage
    /cast shield bash
    /cast disarm
    /startattack

Mouse wheel back:
    /cast thunderclap
    /cast cleave
    /startattack

I've had good success with both of these, try them out before u judge em,
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

you'd have to go to your wow standard key binding and bind Camera Zoom In, Camera Zoom Out with Shift+WD or Shift+WU

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'll admit I still click TClap and Cleave.

HS though is inside of my Revenge macro as

/cast Revenge
    /cast Heroic Strike

If I'm lucky on timing it uses HS as the glyph procs, if I'm not I have to press it again and if I press it while Revenge is cooling down then it's just like the regular key.

There is a thread on Revenge/HS Macro using a reset, I think it has worked great for me and as expected -
    though before I add it here I'll [re-]verify my combat logs.

Love the thoughts on [re-]binding the camera controls to do more with the scroll wheel

Quote Originally Posted by CKaz View Post
    There is a thread on Revenge/HS Macro using a reset, I think it has worked great for me and as expected -
    though before I add it here I'll [re-]verify my combat logs.

Love the thoughts on [re-]binding the camera controls to do more with the scroll wheel

Binding heroic strike to my mouse wheel was the best thing I ever did interface wise. I can spam heroic strike while clicking anything I want while keeping my main 1-5 buttons and AWSD all in use at the same time, and I can stop spamming when ever I want as well. On top of that using the shift or alt keys and the 1-5 buttons, plus my num pad for the rest of my abilities every thing in the warrior inventory is useable by just moving my hand 1-2 inches.

I have a Logitech mouse with 2 side buttons, 5 (3 easy to get at) extra buttons on top in addition to LMB/RMB. The mouse wheel tilts left and right. Barring LMB and RMB, this gives me 8 buttons. Add shift into the equation and I have 16 buttons on the mouse alone. There's only one button (tilting the mouse wheel left) that's awkward while moving with the mouse. This allows me to keep all my main rotation buttons on the mouse and free my left hand for movement and HS. I use ESDF to move and Z as Heroic Strike so it's very easy to spam, even while moving.

I use 1 for heroic strike
    alt-1 for revenge (turn on msbt notification)

not that I play my warrior anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by Wartorn View Post
    And shift+scroll to zoom your camera.

You might run into problems with this if you have many abilities bound to shift + something; from experience I can tell you it is annoying to try and, for example, refresh shout while also queue up another heroic strike only to find your screen is now filled with nothing but the back of your character's head. I actually just changed my binding this week to ctrl+Mouse Wheel this week for that reason because the only other thing I use ctrl for is vent.

Tbh i have Heroic strike on E,i find that i use it quita often,etspecialy on boss fights,i have allmost alwais enaugh rage to support heroic strike spamming+normal rotation.

I've never personally been a keybinder. (yes I'm a clicker) But I became adept at using a lot more buttons, and motions. Kind of Like over simplifying things. Whether you play by clicking, or by keybindings, Get good at it, and who cares? If you've had the chance to have me tank for you, you'd never know if I click, or keybind.

Though, I do highly recomend keybinding, it makes things really easy, its not what I learned first. Its like learning another language, you'll probably know your first language better. 2 years in, I've come to rely on my keyboard and natural keybinds (1-2-3-4) as much as my mouse.

Point is, Do what FEELS natural, and is most effecient for you. Playing a certain way because someone tells you too isn't always the best way for you to play. If you want to learn Keybindings, I recomend doing one at a time, or 2 at a time, so you don't feel like a complete idiot walking in the door, and not being able to do anything cause you don't remember if shield slam is on that button, or the other one.

these are prime examples why things such as the nostromo n52, saitek pro-gamer command unit, and logitechs many different keyboards and gamepads are awesome.

i have no macros setup at all. i use the g15 keyboard which has 18 programmable keys on the side. the keys are mapped to 1 though =, so standard abilities are on the main action bar, while the support ones that arent always used are set to shift+'key'. finger travel is severely decreased and is easy to adapt to. and i do click things with the mouse if im bein lazy or somehow dont think quick enough to use my fingers. for some of the more important ones, like taunt, i have a macro made on one of the top keys to easily hit, but i often forget about those and just use the shift+ for it.

Well i rerolled into a DK after xpac.. but I used to press the middle mouse for HS

Now i press middle mouse for Oblit.

Quote Originally Posted by Warscar View Post
    Thanks. If I had a trophy I would give it to you.
    bind camera scrolls to your arrow keys. You're never going to need to scroll your camera in combat in such a hurry that it matters to move your hand, and you're never going to use the forward and back arrow keys for anything else anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbox View Post
    Well i rerolled into a DK after xpac.. but I used to press the middle mouse for HS

Now i press middle mouse for Oblit.
    I wish i had a mouse that I could use the middle mouse button on, but my scroll wheel rolls far too easily and the middle mouse button has far too much resistance...I'd never be able to click it in a hurry, i'd end up scrolling the wheel

My question is: How can anyone do anything with their keyboard hand if they are having to press heroic strike every 1.6 seconds on a keybind?! I use heroic strike so often, that if i used my keyboard for it it would almost gimp my hand from doing anything else. Also if i used mouse scroll for HS, i wouldn't be able to click my mouse button at the same time, even with the other finger. It's like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

I really cant comprehend how people can use keyboard buttons for HS, while using having to press their GCD's, strafe, tab target, walk backwards etc. I find it difficult to move my hands into such position, let alone hit the right keys every 0.3 seconds with multiple fingers.

In the end, you might as well use your mouse for something, and considering you cant turn your back to a boss, i thought tanks would be using strafe and backwards keys to position during fight and mouse for forward/ side movement. Sure using key bindings makes playing properly possible, but I think there's a point where you can have too many key bindings for your own good. I don't find myself needing to do so much movement or so much camera panning that i cant afford to click a few things with my mouse.

Whenever I need to use my mouse for something else, i just stop using HS until i have done what i needed to do. I also have many abilities situation around HS that I use often.

Seriously, i need to get like a pedal under my desk to use with my foot to que HS.
    Last edited by Foolishness; 12-14-2008 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolishness View Post
    My question is: How can anyone do anything with their keyboard hand if they are having to press heroic strike every 1.6 seconds on a keybind?! I use heroic strike so often, that if i used my keyboard for it it would almost gimp my hand from doing anything else. Also if i used mouse scroll for HS, i wouldn't be able to click my mouse button at the same time, even with the other finger. It's like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

I really cant comprehend how people can use keyboard buttons for HS, while using having to press their GCD's, strafe, tab target, walk backwards etc. I find it difficult to move my hands into such position, let alone hit the right keys every 0.3 seconds with multiple fingers.

In the end, you might as well use your mouse for something, and considering you cant turn your back to a boss, i thought tanks would be using strafe and backwards keys to position during fight and mouse for forward/ side movement. Sure using key bindings makes playing properly possible, but I think there's a point where you can have too many key bindings for your own good. I don't find myself needing to do so much movement or so much camera panning that i cant afford to click a few things with my mouse.

Whenever I need to use my mouse for something else, i just stop using HS until i have done what i needed to do. I also have many abilities situation around HS that I use often.

Seriously, i need to get like a pedal under my desk to use with my foot to que HS.
    Bind it to a button you can hit with your thumb. I use "C." You can strafe, tab, Shield Slam, and HS all at once. I'm not obsessive about not clicking things, but HS is used so often that it is one of the abilities that I have bound. Additionally, I move my camera around, a lot (fire, pathers, etc. - a million reasons to keep an eye out). If I'm constantly middle-clicking, that is more difficult.

Cleave and TC are also hit by my thumb, on "X" and "V" respectively.

Simple 1

Beside the many possibilities for hs bindings in this thread... do not listen to retards on other forums then these. If you are comfortable with your rotation and you and your raid doesnt have any threat issues it just doesnt matter what or how you do it...

Personally I am a keybinder and clicker. Pre 3.0 when warriors were more single target threat and AoE was a pally only style tanking I was a keybind freak. With Revenge and Sunder armor glyphs no dmg caps on TC and SW I mark skull on a 3 mob skull X on everything else by the time those targets go down no one is pulling aggro.

If keeping HS qued is important to you just macro it to all your abilities I have mine on revenge for the glyph. And all my action bar 1 abilities are remapped to my number key and all abilities are mouseovered. It comes down to convenience of where my hands are, and by no means am I ashamed of clicking on an ability if the mouse is there already anyway.

Post 3.0 split second ability hitting isnt as important. Example at one bar from 75 and defense rating at 503 hp 16704unbuffed and armor right at 18k I tanked HoS 80 pally healer 80 mage, 80 hunter and 79 DK. It was a guild run and we were all on vent and noone was holding back. I was paranoid about threat and wiping so I went all out oldschool spamming the keyboard. Well one boss down and no wipes and a few beers and I went lazy no wipes cept for me on final boss. Dps other then giving me a second TC didnt hold back and the healer obviously had to keep me overhealed never pulled aggro.

So I say to your detractors of clicking abilites, roll a tank and spank it yourself. If your not having problems with aggro and it's working for you go for it. Enjoy all the OP nerfs while blizz lets us have them and tank on.
    Last edited by CyCy; 12-16-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: hadn't finished
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i use a different action bar for heroic strike and switch to it for bosses

up/down arrow goes between normal bar and heroic bar

you can bind heroic strike into another attack, you only have to push the button once since hs doesnt trigger a gcd

so normal action bar
    #showtooltip Devastate
    /cast Devastate

heroic action bar
    #showtooltip Devastate
    /cast Heroic Strike
    /cast Devastate

etc for all the rest of the buttons

i recommend explicitly putting #showtooltip devastate, sometimes when hs is enabled it will take over the button

Lavanath

+ Reply to Thread