+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Strike Keybinding.

Heroic Strike Keybinding.

Personally, I click heroic strike. I am by no means a clicker, considering I only have 4 skills on my entire screen. But I posted a Sartharion kill video on my realm forums and got flamed for clicking heroic strike and thunder clap.

I didn't really want to provide my reasoning for not key binding heroic strike considering my realm is full of tools. So I decided to post here to get the thoughts of other tanks.

For me, I never use heroic strike while on the move, whether it be moving a boss or on a pull. I use shield slam / devestate and revenge for sword and board procs to get initial threat and to maintain aggro while I'm mobile. When I'm in place however (as in the case of the Sartharion kill) I click heroic strike when I have an abundance of rage to dump all of it. I'm much more careful now with sword and board and I try to keep a good rotation going to maximize threat.

I just can't imagine key binding heroic strike. It's one of those skills where if you use it, you're going mash it. With all of my other keybindings, having to constantly hit the binding for heroic strike while hitting my others seems like it wouldn't really be efficent.

So I'm looking for some thoughts and suggestions when it comes to heroic strike. What's your binding for it, and if not, do you click it as well?

Mouse scroll wheel forward = Heroic strike
    Mouse scroll wheel backwards = Cleave

Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmoomma View Post

Best of both worlds.
    My mouse wheel forward is shield bash :*(

What you can do is put Heroic strike on wheel-down, and then put cleave on shift+wheel-down. Something I should actually get around to - I have HS on wheel-down and cleave on 6.

Best of both worlds.
    exactly the same here. it's just very comfortable but of course depends on your mouse.

It's on Q. Ring-finger spamming.

ESDF-WR = my move buttons. G is my Heroic Strike hotkey.

The other key bindings include:
    Q = Shield Block
    shift+Q = Intervene
    A = Attack
    shift+A = Ranged Attack
    T = Shield Slam
    shift+T = Devastate
    shift+G = Concussion Blow
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

A great reason to keybind heroic strike is simply that it requires more concentration than a keybinding, you have to actually look at it to find it with your mouse. There are many encounters that require you to move or turn your camera, and there's no reason not to use HS for these.

My tip is to keybind HS to shift + the button you are using for SS or devastate.
    It is probably taken, but changing some keybindings isn't the end of the world imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayre View Post
    What you can do is put Heroic strike on wheel-down, and then put cleave on shift+wheel-down. Something I should actually get around to - I have HS on wheel-down and cleave on 6.
    That's exactly what I do. I have HS on mouse wheel down and cleave on Shift + Wheel down. Wheel up is Shield Block. That's just a holdover from before 3.0 when you had to spam it. I use a Nostromo for my left hand, so I was able to use my 2344 rotation while spinning the mouse wheel back and forth constantly.

well i find i use heroic strike far more then i ever used to because of the glyph of revenge. every time i have 2 rage and did a dodge, block, or parry then i am able to not only get the high damage revenge off, but immediately follow with a heroic strike. because of this my revenge key is 5 and my HS key is 4 so i can just slide to it. also makes it relatively easy to continue to hit even while moving. i like my zoom on my mouse wheel too much to move it ever though.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

Yeah, I used to have my HS on my 2 button (so I could either press 2 or the mouse's back button), but it made it really awkward to use on a constant basis - especially when I used to have the forward mouse button bound to Shield Block (which is now 3, since I don't need to use it all that often but still want to keep it in a spot where I can easily access it). I eventually caved in and changed my camera zoom (since I only like to be zoomed out anyhow) to ctrl and + or -. Once I did that, I found myself almost using HS too too much, it was great.

I Have Rev+HS macro'd together on #3 because I use the Revenge glyph, and atm he HS glyph too. I find the macro indeed sometimes HS before the Rev., but it is still useful, and not a big deal imo. My mouse wheel forward is currently a macro of charge-bloodrage-shield bash-disarm (if 'wheeled' 4 times in a row consecutively, otherwise does one at a time). My mouse back is still zoom out. Zoom out i use while moving and tanking occassionaly.
    Last edited by Rootkitworm; 11-29-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

Best of both worlds.
    And shift+scroll to zoom your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartorn View Post
    This is what I was looking for. I hate not being able to scroll my camera.

Gracias.

I tank with one hand.
    QWERTY = stance dependent shifting bar
    123456 = primary static movements available in all stances
    F1 Battle stance, f2 defensive, f3 bezerker
    asdx = left, forward, right, back.
    Caps Lock = heroic strike.

Mouse for camera/last resort selection when tab fails to hit appropriate target.
    Execute for show, tank for dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootkitworm View Post
    I Have Rev+HS macro'd together on #3 because I use the Revenge glyph, and atm he HS glyph too. I find the macro indeed sometimes HS before the Rev., but it is still useful, and not a big deal imo. My mouse wheel forward is currently a macro of charge-bloodrage-shield bash-disarm (if 'wheeled' 4 times in a row consecutively, otherwise does one at a time). My mouse back is still zoom out. Zoom out i use while moving and tanking occassionaly.
    I also have the glyph of revenge, and have revenge and HS macro'd to a single key. The nice thing is that you can mash that key even when revenge is on cooldown or not available and it still activates your HS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartorn View Post
    Thanks. If I had a trophy I would give it to you.

I play a feral tank, and I've macroed Maul (druid equivalent of HS for the uneducated) to each of rest of the abilities in my normal rotation like so:
    ---
    /cast [modifier:shift] Maul
    /cast Mangle (or /cast Lacerate, etc.)
    ---
    So when I've got the rage to dump it on a Maul I just continue my rotation while holding shift. I've found that not having to spam a separate key or spin a mousewheel helps me focus on the rest of my rotation.

Bound to Arrrrr! Who responds to tells in the middle of a fight anyway?
    Last edited by Petninja; 12-03-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: It's spelled Arrrrr!

The problem is you are clicking one of your main abillities infact two. Clicking is rather haphazard as you can't use abillities while mouse turning (which you should be) since the clicking hand dissapears.

Personally I have it on Q as my warrior but lately thats caused some problems due to Q being bubble on my paladins. So while im spamming Q on my warrior doing the same on my paladin is fatal and I have TC on my warrior as ('`~') thats one key just different keyboards have it as different things.

Now your mouse maybe awesome but mine personally is not I can't move my mouse and click even 2x the time it takes me to simply 'type'. It does get a bit annoying when you reach the limit of keybindings but ultimately clicking is less effective on what i consider main abilities

Bind heroic strike and thunderclap to keys you can get to fast they are very important.

+ Reply to Thread