+ Reply to Thread

Thread: def vs hp

def vs hp

as usual the same thing...what is preferable.?to focus your socketing in def rating or to make ur hp even higher??in other words which ratings i should chase to become really imba.?

depends on content and what your current numbers are. ideally you want to balance them all together.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'm assuming that your allready def "capped" (540) here, so would say that having a bit extra def wouldnt hurt.
    but a armory link would help alot.

Balance is key. Always zen and all that. Try to get enough hitpoints, for all non bears about 30k unbuffed seems a good place. After that go for a 3:2 def to dodge rating.

Ked

30k unbuffed for 25man raids and ect. probably 25-28 is fine for 10man

Quote Originally Posted by Kedearian View Post
    Balance is key. Always zen and all that. Try to get enough hitpoints, for all non bears about 30k unbuffed seems a good place. After that go for a 3:2 def to dodge rating.

Ked

30k unbuffed for 25man raids and ect. probably 25-28 is fine for 10man
    I'd actually say 28k is fine regardless of content, dependent on your tanking style. Personally I stack stam due to the diminishing returns on dodge. But yeah definitely try and find balance with all stats.

To give a direct answer to the OP:

Once you are defense capped (540) stack stam over defense.

30K unbuffed?

Long time reader, First time poster. Apology for that English is my second language.

I really don't know why people keep saying "30k unbuffed". I have tried to get all the best tanking gears in each slot, and luckily got most of them. However, my hp is still sitting at 27K(with 25339 armor value).

Here is my armony. (sorry for the foreign server thing, don't know if you can still read it.)

The World of Warcraft Armory

My question is, is the 30k unbuffed really so important that I need to change all my gem/enc/gear selection?

By the way, I am pretty sure you can do 25 NAXX with a 22k HP main tank with a bunch of decent players, all the gears we are collecting is for the patch 3.1. (so many time I have seen a fury war picking up the boss when tanks down and did just fine)

Quote Originally Posted by airys View Post
    Long time reader, First time poster. Apology for that English is my second language.

I really don't know why people keep saying "30k unbuffed". I have tried to get all the best tanking gears in each slot, and luckily got most of them. However, my hp is still sitting at 27K(with 25339 armor value).

Here is my armony. (sorry for the foreign server thing, don't know if you can still read it.)

My question is, is the 30k unbuffed really so important that I need to change all my gem/enc/gear selection?

By the way, I am pretty sure you can do 25 NAXX with a 22k HP main tank with a bunch of decent players, all the gears we are collecting is for the patch 3.1. (so many time I have seen a fury war picking up the boss when tanks down and did just fine)
    Ni hao,
    its a surprise to see ur armory link to me, hehe.

Ur gears are not the best yet, maybe the best +block gears
    Ur block rating is very high. Its good for trash, adds kind of thing.
    For boss, u may want to have a another gear set to get ur HP higher. For example, u can easily recive 30k-40k dmg in 2-3 seconds from Malygos. 16k-17k dmg from malygos' breath pluse 2k-4k Incoming falling dmg, u may also get a mele swing right after.

You can check my armory link to see what u can get for Hp set.
    With new enchant, i can get my hp to 32k or more.

Im Chinese too btw, and ur English is pretty good.
    Better than mine. hah

GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    I'd actually say 28k is fine regardless of content, dependent on your tanking style. Personally I stack stam due to the diminishing returns on dodge. But yeah definitely try and find balance with all stats.

To give a direct answer to the OP:

Once you are defense capped (540) stack stam over defense.
    Never say 540 is enough.
    according to How good is Defense? - Warriors - TankingTips.com
    Last edited by xiaoyiduan; 01-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Airys: Your gear is great to take on anything in game now. If you really felt like you needed more hp, you could hunt doen the Essence of Gossamer from heroic AN (+111 stamina) and swap it in for the block trinket but I don't think its necassary.

When the patch hits, I'd suggest putting 40 stam on bracers and getting expertise to gloves instead of Armsman but that's just me. You're fine how you are regardless.

To the OP: Uncrittable (540 Def) is virtually mandatory. Beyond that it comes down to choice. I prefer more hp or damage stats depending on the situation. I want to make sure I can take a hit, not roll the dice on whether or not I'll avoid one.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

30k unbuffed just to tank 25-mans? I strongly beg to differ. I'm sitting on 30k unbuffed (The World of Warcraft Armory) only because half my gear comes from 25-mans. I began tanking 25 mans with 26k unbuffed and it worked out fine. Sure, EH is king for current content, but mindlessly stacking stamina without a regard for dodge/parry/block ratings isn't going to do your raid healers any favours either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elyvern View Post
    30k unbuffed just to tank 25-mans? I strongly beg to differ. I'm sitting on 30k unbuffed (The World of Warcraft Armory) only because half my gear comes from 25-mans. I began tanking 25 mans with 26k unbuffed and it worked out fine. Sure, EH is king for current content, but mindlessly stacking stamina without a regard for dodge/parry/block ratings isn't going to do your raid healers any favours either.
    totally agree.

ok i got with the hp..but do u think that chasing defenses of 570-580 is a good idea instead of trying to get even more hitpoints?

Perhaps you'd like to link us your armory? It's hard to make informed opinions without any info of your avoidance/mitigation stats to work with for starters.

btw here is my armory to tell me ur opinion...please notice what u think i must definetely change with what...and ur opinion on our issue def rating and hp

Your stats look decent, and I assume you're looking forward to tanking 25 man? Personally, I feel your block/dodge/parry ratings could use a little more work, but not by gemming all the way for defence either. Point for point, hp gems are better investment than def gems. I'd say keep to your current def for now, and gem for hp. Meanwhile, try and pick up more gear with dodge/parry/block and attempt to balance them so they don't differentiate too much.

EH usually refers to not only the HP, but also the armor value. It is a combination of HP and armor. Somehow people talking about EH tend to ignore the armor value, I don't know why but my AC is at a pretty healthy number, 25.3k. (and that's the reason I use the current necklace/cloak instead of the block ones)

In my mind, the Block (value+rate) work exactly the same to the armor value, if not better. If only we push both number to a high level, because obviously these two number multiply to each other, we needing both of them to make them efficient.

So, in my person EH formula (HP*armor*block=EH), block gears are good for tanking bosses. Block is not an evasion, it is a damage mitigation, just like armor class. I dont agree that block suits is only good for trash. First, who care trash?? ....2nd, If so, you are saying AC is only good for trash cleasing, and it conflicts to the whole EH theory.

I do agree to that because of the shield block skill, the block rate should take a discount in gear evaluation.
    Last edited by airys; 01-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Block is a great stat, actually and chep to stack. We are blocking a significant portion of damage now and need to rely on chace to block over an active ability. Block always sets up revenge. With critical block, we can mitigate a ton of incoming damage, but it really cannot be fully considered a part of effective health anymore than avoidance because its not guarenteed, its still based upon chance. EH is the raw damage you can take before you die and is directly effected by armor value, which is some people tend to gloss over alot.

Then again, its difficult to stack. Almost everything on a give ilevel tier will have the same values in the same slot. There are cloaks and accessories but they don't add up to that much. High armor value is what made the Arena shields so attractive in BC.

Armor just kinda goes along for the ride but is part of the reason ilevel tends to trump favorable stat allocations on lower level items. It just doesn't make up the difference alot of the time.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

With all the due respect, Horacio, I think you make a wrong statment saying that block cannot be fully considered as a mitigation value just because there is some random factor in it.

1. Relating to RNG doesn't mean it should be not considered EH.

All the melee damage is sort of related to RNG, because each swing of the boss attack originally doesnt hit for the same number.

2. You must admit that, when a warrior uses the skill shield block, during that 10 sec, shield value is a part of the EH, and it is a hella good one. Better than AC, better than HP.

So how about that if I push my block rate to 62% with 40% evasion(parry+dodge+miss), all in a sudden, block rate and block value become valid EH. And they are better than AC/HP.

Checking my log, I can see that with raid buffs, like 80% damage dealt to me is mitigated 2k-6k, how can I not consider my BV/BR valid EH?

+ Reply to Thread