+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waistguard of Living Iron v Ancient Aligned Girdle

Waistguard of Living Iron v Ancient Aligned Girdle

Just wondering which one I should aim for? Currently progressing through the start of 10 man Naxx. Stats unbuffed so far;

25800 Health

24350 Armor

20.89% Dodge
    17.40% Parry
    16.04% Block

551 Defence

I'll probably get the dodge Trinket as well so I'm thinking maybe the badge belt would be better because of the Parry. When will I start seeing diminishing returns on Dodge?

I hear that dodge/stam gems in red slots are better point for point than the parry/stam ones, but I went for a Parry/Stam one in my legs as Parry is a fair bit lower than my dodge, is this the right idea? Should we be trying to even out the 3 stats as much as possible? (Still going for Stam whenever possible once over the cap).

I looked at it and I'm not sold on it. The tanking neck is the best item, IMO in terms of options. The shield is good but Royal Crest is out there and I'm rocking Titansteel atm. Just not thrilled with the Living Iron's itemization. I am biased, though, because I heve the epic belt from Azjol Nerub Heroic.

I've never been a big fan of Parry because its more expensive than dodge and the difference between the 2 is minor

Its not a bad item, though.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Ive already picked up the Badge Shield because I got the Naxx neck on the second night. I also got the hands in Naxx so it didnt leave me a whole lot of options for badge spending. I considered making the shield but came to the conclusion that the badge one was better so grabbed it. Im about to pick up t7 chest in 9 badges time and was thinking about what I should get after it. Im using MgT trinket with the Defence trinket from some normal level 80 dungeon. Im keen to pick up the dodge trinket but will be going for the 111 stam one first, and will only equip the dodge trinket when I have enough defence to drop the defence trinket.

So there isnt much else to spend my badges on. T7 hands are a minor upgrade to my naxx ones, and I probably cant use the dodge trinket yet without sacrificing other vital stats (and dropping gear). That leaves the belt, which is an upgrade to mine, but in that time I may have picked up the Azjol belt. One site I looked at rates the badge belt better. I dont mind a bit of Parry, because I believe stacking Dodge will be a no no with the new diminishing returns. Badge one has a nice socket and bonus too.

Personally, I believe the AAG is better than the badge belt. I may be biased because I have it as well. The difference in total avoidance is somwhere around .4% avoidance bdr. The badge belt has more strength and the socket can either serve to balance the avoidance or the stamina. Both are very nice pieces, but the added SBV/AP you get from the Badge belt will be lost vs the missing avoidance or stamina.

In terms of upgrades, the chest is a huge upgrade. If your guild can not kill Gluth or Horseman, its really the best way to go. The trinket will be the last thing I pick up solely because losing the near 1300 health with BoK that the Gossamer gives me is going to be a hard sell and I can not get rid of the Shadowmoon Insignia just yet for def cap reasons.

But with the socket bonus being 6 stam, could you make up the avoidance difference and the stam difference?

At what % does dodge start getting diminishing returns? Im nearing 21, and will get the trinket soon enough, so I'm kind of liking the idea of adding in the badge belt over the azjol just to try and even out the stats more. This may not be the ideal thing to do though, so I dont know.

bumping this, Vene says go the WoLI, but I have AAG. I do have the badges to spare, I just don't see what I'd gain.

Same Armor

AAG has more Stam
    WoLI has more Str
    AAG has more Defense
    AAG has a bucket load more Dodge
    WoLI has parry
    WoLI has a socket

Throw a defense gem in the WoLI and it matches AAG on Defense but still doesn't have as much stam or dodge.

From venes own blog of greatness:

How good is Defense? - Warriors - TankingTips.com

Defense > Dodge > Parry
    AAG wins with more dodge?

Or maybe my numbers are all over the place :/

Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    AAG has more Stam
    WoLI has more Str
    AAG has more Defense
    AAG has a bucket load more Dodge
    WoLI has parry
    WoLI has a socket

Throw a defense gem in the WoLI and it matches AAG on Defense but still doesn't have as much stam or dodge.

From venes own blog of greatness:

How good is Defense? - Warriors - TankingTips.com

AAG wins with more dodge?

Or maybe my numbers are all over the place :/
    Don't forget Eternal belt buckles which can add another socket to both of those.

When the Eternal Belt Buckle is added the WoLI is better than AAG.
    "Shields are for pussies..." - Alaína 1988-20??
    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1...gnatureee0.png

In my tanking spreadsheet, which is given my current gear, the AAG provides more survivability than the WoLI.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by xKhellendrosx View Post
    Don't forget Eternal belt buckles which can add another socket to both of those.
    And, thus, should be ignored from any comparison because you will probably add the exact same gem to both belts. :P

Eternal Belt Buckle adds a socket to both... so that doesn't affect the comparison at all.

WoLI + (8 Defense/12 Stam gem) vs AAG

WoLI
    7 Stamina (remember you gain 6 from the socket bonus)
    4 Defense Rating
    32 Parry Rating
    19 Strength

vs

AAG
    41 Dodge Rating

It's very close, but I like the mixed approach over the raw Dodge Rating. I see this comparison as more to taste than anything else. I certainly recommend getting other badge items before WoLI if you already have AAG. I myself will probably not pick up the belt as I've already got the Tutor and will spend my badges towards the DPS upgrades. It's important given my situation (we flip around the MT duty a lot) that I have an amazing DPS set as well as a strong Tank set. Were I to find myself back in the exclusive MT spot again, I'd pick it up instead of DPS gear though.
    Last edited by veneretio; 12-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.

I like the Ancient Aligned Girdle for the huge amount of dodge on it. I have been noticing that I don't get enough Dodges or Parries. In trying to even out avoidance, effective health, and threat stats, I'm looking a lot more at dodge and parry gear recently. The Strength is nice for the threat, but at this stage of the game threat is not an issue. Stamina is so easy to come by, and especially with the new enchants coming out.

Just comparing the avoidance stats of the two and the higher price of the parry stat, I think the Ancient Aligned Girdle wins by a bit. However, if I couldn't get the Ancient Aligned Girdle to drop I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Waistguard of Living Iron.

thank you for the responses guys

+ Reply to Thread