+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Naxxramas Grobbulus

I just wanted to share my frustrations with everyone on this thread. My small, somewhat casual guild has managed to clear almost every encounter in and out of Naxx with little issue.

Gothik? No problem. Four Horsemen? Easy. Safety Dance? Safe.

Grobbulus has us stumped. I usually start him at the bottom of the ramp and then kite backwards for an 8-count, then stop for a bit until he drops his next cloud. Then I kite backwards around the room again. It's pretty much just like the video.

What is the problem? I'm not sure. It seems like the raid starts taking a lot of damage after a few minutes and then it's a wipe.

Either a healer or the OT is standing in a cloud , or the OT isn't moving the slime far enough from the healers, or a healer "forgets" to heal me and I go down. Once in a while, a second slime forms and we can't seem to deal with it. We've wiped at least 10 times on this guy and I can't figure out how to improve the situation.

I think I'm leaving as much space between clouds as Ciderhelm does in the video. Perhaps we just need to all turn our video settings up and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrybull View Post
    Our group has two melee, a feral and a rogue, the rest ranged, including one hunter and his cat. I suppose for this, the cat counts as melee, and we did see it injected at least once.
    I'm 101% sure that pets CANNOT be injected with mutagenic injection - at least it has NEVER happened to me and I've never heard of it happening to any other hunter.

Quick question don't know if it's be asked so i am gonna ask any way.

My Guilds haveing problem with the melee getting covered in slim and getting 4-5 adds. Thing is it seem like grobbs turning and spraying the melee is this a bug or some thing hes dose normaly?

We can down him we spit the melee some on grobb some on the adds is there a way to stop him from covering the melee so we can all be on him.

P.S. This is the 25 man version mostly 10 mans a cake walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodorange View Post
    I think I'm leaving as much space between clouds as Ciderhelm does in the video. Perhaps we just need to all turn our video settings up and go from there.
    If your raid is taking too much damage, its the raid it self blowing them up too close to everyone. If you tank him in a path farther away towards the wall, closer to the center (ie. along side those grails) you're raid has more than enough room to run against the wall and explode there so only half of it is really covering the room.

You already stated your problem, that people are taking AoE damage, meaning people are not paying attention and not moving. You need people calling out who gets injected.

Quote Originally Posted by Illia View Post
    My Guilds haveing problem with the melee getting covered in slim and getting 4-5 adds. Thing is it seem like grobbs turning and spraying the melee is this a bug or some thing hes dose normaly?

We can down him we spit the melee some on grobb some on the adds is there a way to stop him from covering the melee so we can all be on him.
    Assuming no problems with threat at all, or problems when one slime comes up, there's a chance your melee might not directly be behind him. You will see him turn sometimes when he injects your party members, and spray can come around that, but if you back up over and over, he will never spray your melee. There was a point I was trying to figure out why we were getting 2 slimes, but it turned out one of our melee was kinda moving too far ahead when I saw him kinda walking through him towards me.

We prefer not to leave gaps between the clouds and just let player leave the clouds behind the clouds Grobbulus leaves.
    This mayorly increases dps as your dont have your caster dps running around all the time.

One problem we found today. never saw this before 3.0.8:
    When we get Grobbulus down to 20% a 5% we get 5 adds spawning in the center of the room. which then whipes the raid. First we tough that it woes cause of the mele dps (we only had 2 mele + tank) but the second time there was no one even near grobbulus except the tank and again the 5 adds spawned in the center of the room.

Ok I'm not a n00b to raiding nor are the people I run with, We had tons of issues with this boss. We were trying to do it as the video showed with little success. Went and watched a few more times but this time trying to pay more attention to where they were dropping the clouds. What I saw was they drop them at times right against a cloud not just against a wall. ( we were really hung up on getting them to a wall ) The 2nd most important thing I saw was, the timer did not tick of the disease, meaning some one cleansed it.
    We went back at it, but this time as long as the dps was about 20 yards behind the tank. and was close to the wall as they could get.( if they got next to a cloud that was expanding ) we cleansed them and got them back in the fight. yes I know it made the room a tad smaller, but you can see this happening in the video. It gave us a ton more time with dps on the boss and made our dps toons live longer due to not getting caught in the clouds while they were waiting to drop the one they had.. This small change made all the difference in the world. After countless wipes we got him down first try with the new method.
    I hope it helps, and good luck, this guy sucks.

core

Quote Originally Posted by Mann View Post
    If your raid is taking too much damage, its the raid it self blowing them up too close to everyone. If you tank him in a path farther away towards the wall, closer to the center (ie. along side those grails) you're raid has more than enough room to run against the wall and explode there so only half of it is really covering the room.

You already stated your problem, that people are taking AoE damage, meaning people are not paying attention and not moving. You need people calling out who gets injected.
    So we tried Grobby again last night and managed to take him down. We turned up our graphics settings, and the OT hardly got AE'd at all. I think the addition of more ranged DPS helped greatly. Burning those slimes down as soon as they come up made the fight much more smoothly.

Kudos and thanks

These videos are the BOMB. Everyone in our raid watched this movie before go into the pull, except one hunter. He died, only by being a little too close to Grob's last cloud when dropping his own. Other than that... No wipes. we downed him on the first try, easy as pie. Textbook-style. I'll admit, Cider does make things look a little too easy sometimes, but his strategies work. If the whole raid knows what to do going in, these fights are a walk in the park. Thanks Cider!
    Last edited by Utan; 01-27-2009 at 05:28 AM.
    Don't POP a blood vessel... It's just a game.

Our tactic...

First of all, I'm very confident this tactic will work even though this didn't result in a down; one of the healers disconnected at about 4% after the other had died. >.<

Basically, you only need one tank for this one, therefore, you should go for an extra DPS or get your DK to jump into his DPS gear for the extra damage.

Ultimately, the key is to engage him at the bottom of the stairs and kite him VERY slowly around the room (clockwise). This willl leave a continuous trail of poison round behind him so, for the injections, the afflicted run to the bottom of the stairs and start planting clouds in an anti-clockwise direction. This sounds dangerous, until you try it.

On the adds, we have two hunters in our raid (10 man); as they were having trouble keeping their pets alive, I suggested they put them on Growl and use them to deal with the adds. It went like clockwork until the disconnection.

I've no doubt he'll go down tonight!

P.S - Don't stack your raid with melee; two is plenty, three is a maximum and four is pushing it a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    On the adds, we have two hunters in our raid (10 man); as they were having trouble keeping their pets alive, I suggested they put them on Growl and use them to deal with the adds. It went like clockwork until the disconnection.
    I haven't tested it, we always have our OT - or even MT - tank the add (notice the non-plural here! ;-)) and DPS focus on it to burn it down. While this could work in 10-man, in 25-man those Fallout Slimes will do such high damage (5k on hit and 2k per 2 second to everyone withing 10 yards as a passive aura) that I doubt the pets will survive. Most raiding hunters will bring Ferocity pet with high DPS build anyways which means there's no talent points spent on stamina and armor increases.. maybe a fully tank-specced Tenacity pet could handle the job but so far there just isn't a need to compromise your DPS to practically do the job that OT is supposed do do (and can do with ease as well, as there should be only one Fallout Slime around at any time anyways).

Re:

Aye, I should have been a little clearer and said that I was only describing the 10 man version; I can’t see it working on heroic.

Additionally, I was also describing the use of only one tank in order to facilitate faster DPS on Grobbulus. My guild is lucky, as the OT is a death knight so (much as I dislike this “talent”) he can jump into his DPS gear and go for the big man.

But I fundamentally agree with you – if you’re using an OT, the same tactic works but the OT should pick up the adds and kill them off.

RE:

Ladies and gents,

I'm proud to report that after getting in there this evening, we managed to get him down (after a bit of a mix up on the first go) at the second attempt, using the slow kite method I mentioned.

Amazingly, he went down rather easily, too.

I hope to read about more successes shortly!

[Nb: I did, however, use a designated OT for the adds as opposed to the hunters.]

As an offtank, easiest thing i found with the adds, is when you get the injection, to drag the add with you to your spot to release the disease, while the rest of the dps focuses on grobb, then once you're done with injection, run back to grobbs side, and dps downs add.
    when not injected, we have all DPS on adds, and they go down really fast.

Hello and thanks for putting up all these guides they've been a great point of reference for our guild!

I want to clear up if possible what speeds up the injections. Is it the clock or health percentage? I've heard both all over the interwebs... also if it's health I've heard both 20% and 30% that gets dangerous is there a hard cutof or a smooth gradient of speed...

Our guild is currently regularly getting hm below 30%, and attempts are lasting 7.5 mins on average... We're using 3 healers at moment, and I'm wondering how vulnerable we are to losing healers... if its a health trigger then things will get crazy at 20-30% as normal, but if it's a clock thing then I assume an extra dpser will make for a shorter, safer fight....

yea, i hate it when people say the mt needs to go slow. Our guild has gotten really good at this fight. He is way easier on 25 man btw. Anyways the way i tank him i just keep moving him and aoe takes out the adds. I think we've circled the room 2 1/2 times . Only reason ot is there is to keep adds off healers/dps imo

edit: if your group is heavy on melee you need to go a bit slower so the melee can dps better, but if it's heavy on ranged go as fast as you want :P just make sure you keep an eye out for gas to go away. Also if you kite him counter clockwise make sure to not get stuck in that little area next to ramp cut across onto the ramp asap. Yes, to the question above once he gets to a certain % he'll start speeding up injections not sure the % maybe 15-20% so the "injectees" need to be ready to run at this point 24/7. I believe getting injected has to do with your dps or threat i'm not sure, because 2 of our high range dps got injected 5 or 6 times in a row and i did not get injected once oting him in 25 man
    Last edited by rmd83; 02-06-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: adding some stuff

Hi

Hey wut is the name of the addon ur using in ur video. Its the top left hand one.

thanks for the help in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kinraze View Post
    We tried this on a PUG while following the advice and were amazed to find that nobody could follow directions. A major problem happened to be that people were staying in the clouds that we all knew were the major killer. I happened to find out the reason for the confusion we suffered on a fluke while adjusting my video settings.
    If effects are not turned up it makes the poison clouds extremely hard to see (also I was astonished to see the pancakes that DKs dropped in DD and other spells I was missing). This may be one of the few battles that really requires HIGH effects as the clouds become BRIGHT green without any room to question where their limits are. I'm sure this has caused some trouble with PUGs elsewhere and I hope this information helps you.
    This is probably an important note, if your spell detail setting is too low then you do not see AoE that is applied to the ground, this includes Death and Decay as well as Consecration and apparently Grob's poison clouds. Really this fight isn't too video intensive so it's important to make sure people have their settings up.

Seems like an oversight on Blizzard's behalf.

Hey Ciderhelm, my new guild jsut started Raiding and many of them raid for the first time in their life [im an oldschool raider myself] and we started Naxx on 13-02-2009.

1st time i forgot to switch back to normal and instead we went to anxx25 in 10man but still we cleared all the trash and tried patchwerk. Soon i noticed something was wrong ;p.

on 14th we went on naxx 10 and we cleared trash killed patchwerk on1 st try and hit grobbulus. We gave him few tries i explained people what to do and how. We did 76% 44% 16% 14% 20% tries with 14% being our best but i have noticed people at 20% and below are blowing themselves with clouds because they dont know where to palce them at this frequency which is causing a wipe for us. Also its worth mentioning we didnt have our shaman so we had no bloodlust or mana spring tho pala didnt drop below 40% and druid at around 14-20% was close to 0. Also we had 3 ranged and 3 melee dps me MT [DK 38-45k hp] and prot warrior OT i wasnt dying and there wasnt problem with healing me, i tanked him similiarly to you so i suppose theres a prob with later could frequency from mutating injection.

Any tips to how should they move around? I was thinking about building a triangle in 1 opposite corner of the room at last %s and getting down that line while i tank him where i have space still and they full dps when they can.

Any tips?

Im in a raid which is melee heavy, we're having no trouble with the other wings but once on this fight we seem to lose it. At about 25% its wipe after wipe. Everyone is running out when they have the debuff, the OT is picking up to adds with the dps switching from the adds to the boss but we just cant seem to get this guy down. Does anyone know any points to help with a melee heavy raid??

The Trouble With Grobbulus...

Hi, like most people here, Grobbulus is really causing our guild a major headache. I think firstly the biggest issue is too much melee dps, but my main question is....

How frequently does he do his Mutilating Injection??

I got wiped last night and while watching the rest of the fight I timed the injections...at 40% health, Grobb was spewing them out at anything between 3 and 7 seconds apart. This seemed to be the the one thing that wiped us, over and over again. We gave up and moved on to military, but we REALLY need to get this Grobb thing down.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread