+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Naxxramas Heigan the Unclean

Flares

I think this is very easy, but some newer raiders (and even experienced ones /sigh) can have trouble judging where the "invisible line" is for the sections. I took four flares and put them right in the middle of each section, worked like a charm. Also, we 5 manned him in the 10 man version, and that was with 1 heal 2 tanks (both in tank gear) and 2 dpsers. As said he does no dmg and you can killhim easily if you don't die to the eruption.

Edit: 5 man was from 79% to death.
    Last edited by Ontarin; 11-28-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: forgot to put something in.

Just wanted to post a thank you for this guide. My first night learning this guy was not a good one as I had been working on little sleep and just could not make a mental note of where to go next.

We tried him again this week and while 7 out of 10 raid members were dead at 50% we still got him down. Myself(prot pally) and one of our healing paladins 2 manned him the last 12%. The fight took 27 mintues .

A large part of what helped me stay alive was watching this guide and making a mental note of where cider goes during phase 2. Finding a specific crack in the floor where the eruption just happened allowed me a spot to focus on and kept me safe.

Another way to look at the eruption 'quarters' is by the platform (looking at the platform):
    Q1 - Left of the platform
    Q2 - Left half of the platform
    Q3 - Right half of the platform
    Q4 - Right of the platform

As previously mentioned, you could also drop a smoke flare, in this case halfway across the platform, but they only have 5 minute duration, if I remember correctly.

Corpses also make good markers where (not) to stand.

Well, I canīt dance =/

My tip is: If you donīt play with a low ping, DONīT TRY TO TANK HIM. I did him last night, and only 3 people died, me and my 2 friends that are from Brazil, we play with 500ms+ so WE are safe on your screen, but that wave just hit us and we die.

You are able to DoT once you have the timing down.
    It is actually quite easy to do so if you are able to strafe through the phase 2 dance.
    Personally words of wisdom for moonkins is to not use starfall during Phase 2 dance, it will generate 2 much threat in most cases and you run the risk of getting thumped on your way back to the platform.
    This should be common sense, but it seemed worth noting anyways.

Edit - BTW for those that don't know as I didn't see it noted, turning visual effects up for the encounter makes it easier to tell where the next zone to move to is.

How are people dealing with the Phase 2-to-Phase 1 transition?

Every time we get to this point and Heigan comes off the platform everyone in the raid gets hit with decrepit fever and our healers can't manage to decurse fast enough to keep everyone alive. We don't wipe, but we do lose people.

How do other handle this so it is more flawless?

We did this boss 2 days ago with a group who didn't have much experience on raids. we had 2 wipes at first right on first times on phase 2. After second wipe few of us came to watch the video again and I think it helped a lot. As on third try we had 2 tanks (pally and druid) 1 healer (pally) and 1dps (hunter) left after phase 2 and just decided to go on and practise but we actually killed him. Everyone who was left worked perfectly on phase 2. Last time we had it our druid tank died due to getting in eruption and healer being without mana as phase 2 had just started, but at that time boss was pretty much dead. This took us almost 20 minutes to do and rest of the raid was cheering and promised to do better next week. We will defenately get everyone to watch the video before that though

I can confirm no enrage timer. 39 minutes for myself and my Shammy healer's searing totem to dps him down after a nub agroed before anyone was ready.

Last night was the first night in Naxx for 8 of 10 of us including me as off tank. This was going to be our last boss of the night and after 4 straight wipes here we called it.

Probably not the best idea as it was midnight and we were all beat so this was frustrating. I will say I perplexed as it looked like I was right on top of the main tank who we marked with an X during the phase 2 dance and I still took loads of damage and he took none.

After watching the videos it looks as if we were standing too deep in the room from the platform which made us have to cover more distance between the eruptions and this may have been the issue as it looked like I ws right on the main tank but even being a bit behind could have caused more damage - being closer to the platform during phase 2 dance seems prudent as it seems to reduce the distance you have to run between zones and gives you more time.

This guide is great thanks - going back in thursday and this helps visually as I won't need to follow now and i can just run to stops as you detailed.
    "It takes less time to properly mark, CC and pull then it does to run back from the graveyard".

We do not mark the tank or anyone else for this reason. If your raid is looking for the mark and trying to run to him there are going to most likely get hit by the acid. It may look like you are right behind the "X" on your screen, but due to latency of you and him, you are most likely 5-10 yards behind him. (to see an example of this watch in WSG or AV, at the start when there are like 5 people auto-running into the gate. If you do it, it will pretty much always appear as if you "win" the race. Well, it also appears like that for everyone else running out too!)

We tried the marking and the flares the first few times, but then we just decided people had to do it on their own. Just look where the acid shoots out and run to it. It really is pretty simple once you get the hang of it, just make sure you don't run too far in quadrants 1 and 4 as those are pretty large, and you don't want to have to run that extra distance to get to the next one.

Literally in phase one you can have your tank and melee stand at the rear or far side of the platform, and have your ranged stand at the other. Basically diagonally positioned across the platform. (ranged being on the nearest corner as you face the room )Notice ranged and melee need to be aware of the slime and just have to simply scoot up if they are getting hit. This eliminates the dancing for phase one. It basically cuts the encounter down to 1 dance and becomes exceptionally easier.

btw the key to this is your tank overshooting the corner and placing H on the corner as far away from the casters as possible... in doing this they need to time the slime as well and not screw around... its fairly easy. Just takes the tank 1-2 tries to get it down... we will be posting a video shortly
    Last edited by Polk; 12-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.

I could see doing that to maximize dps without having to move, but I don't think it helps with the dance at all. If you can't do the dance during phase 1, there's no way you'll do it in phase 2

Quote Originally Posted by akira5284 View Post

Every time we get to this point and Heigan comes off the platform everyone in the raid gets hit with decrepit fever and our healers can't manage to decurse fast enough to keep everyone alive. We don't wipe, but we do lose people.

What I do (Healer atm) Is that right before he is to run back i dont follow the raid to sone 2 bur run up to teh platform from sone 3 that way only I get the desiase (saves shitloads of mana):P

did this the other night with our holy pally solo healing from 80%-0% because other healers (druid and priest) just couldnt run fast run fast enough -_-

I'm so glad to see you run through him, and then spin around to catch him as you're running from position to position. I felt stupid for doing it, but strafing failed as it gave me less control where he moves, which is essential for the melee positioning.

Also.. what's up with this music you keep using? I keep expecting to hear my local weather forecast. :P

nice video. though..... the parry gib is gone, having melee infront doesnt do anything if he parrys anymore, aside from parry them

In a funny sort of way i actually like this fight, But then in some cases hate it because you can never quite seem to get all of your DPS to move lol, but once your group gets a hang of it it can be quite a battle because you have to do so much, when you down him, it realy feels like you have done something, I love Tanking its my passion and this adds a little bit of fun to the mix , This safe spot is it realy worth sitting there for 1 phase ?? or would you rarther just do the running ?, personally I would rarther do the runnning like someone said in a earlyer post, Blizz will only debug it in the next patch

Davisu, TanKadIN

Quote Originally Posted by akira5284 View Post

Personally I can blink through him to make this part easier. If you have an attentive raid you should realize phase 2 always stops at the second quadrant (if I remember correctly). Now when he comes charging in it should be at your tank who should be walking to quadrant one. As a ranged or caster you can strafe to the right into quadrant three a bit before you head onto his platform. You should have plenty of time to get there and not take a floor explosion.

Found another nice flash movie with the eruption zones...

Heigan-Zones

Helped me alot on my first encounter...

Did this boss last night with a new strategy.. involves no running what-so-ever. when you enter the door, you are to heigan's right if he's looking forward (Q1) i am going to explain it from looking at him head on. have all melee and tanks stand on the very bottom right corner of the platform. all of the ranged and healers then stand in the corner of the doorway going to the maggot/snake room. you have to be running as far into the corner as you can and you won't get hit. no melee takes dmg. when heigan teleports, all melee run to where the casters are hiding and continue to dps him ranged til he's off the platform. no running. no damage, everybody gets achievement. eazy fight.

+ Reply to Thread