Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Keybinds and You

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwraith View Post
    <SNIP>
    Pharaunmizz recently showed me a very useful spreadsheet that I'm sure the TS community could use. It was made by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It is an Excel sheet that has been modified to look like a keyboard. It has pictures of all prot warrior abilities and they can be dragged around onto whichever key you like. It also has a few other classes and I'm sure if someone put in the effort, they could make one for any class they wanted to. You can download it here:

http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx
    <SNIP>
    I was trying to download this excel file to visual see what I was doing to my keyboard for keybindings. Apparently there is no Excel files in the zip file, just a bunch of XML & rel files. Anyone have the original up-loaded?

EDIT: When I last checked there was no one that posted about this earlier (about 12 hrs ago) or I missed it. I'm going to try this on my desktop computer (XP Media Edition). I had downloaded the file on my laptop which is running Vista Home Premium Edition and MS Office Premium 2000.
    Last edited by Arc Da Rat; 08-04-2009 at 07:46 PM.

ya thats what its doing to me if u figure out the problem please tell me what u did.

I just tried re-downloading the file on to my desktop computer and I installed the converter for MS Office from the Link Bloodwraith posted. Its still a no go. I get a XML code text on my excel sheet when I open any of the XML files on a blank doc. If I click on the icon in the folder it opens in IE as XML code type stuff. So I'm at a total lost. Maybe I'll try this again when I get Office 2007.

Desktop: OS=XP Media Center Edition; MS Office = 2000 Premium + Project 2003 & Visio 2002

Laptop: OS=Vista Home Premium; MS Office = 2000 Premium
    Last edited by Arc Da Rat; 08-05-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: cos I can't type

I have office 2007 and it is doing the same thing bro I think its the uploaded file because iv tried everything and im getting the same issues.

It can't be the uploaded file because I downloaded it again yesterday when I tested it. It was one xlxs file.

It can't be the uploaded file because I downloaded it again yesterday when I tested it. It was one xlxs file.
    Yes, I don't think it's the uploaded files either, if only 2 people are not able to see them and you had tested them yourself. I'm checking both of my computer for any missing updates etc. Maybe that might do the trick.

Edit: After updating Office & some other OS things, still not wanting to work in the correct manor.
    I know it has to be a combatiblity issue between the file and the version of MS Office I have.
    Last edited by Arc Da Rat; 08-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Congratulations! your left handed. :(

Im A Clicker. The reason for this is because im left handed . I can never get a good place to keybind because i use the arrow keys to walk. So clicking is my only option. any recommendations?
    Ironfox. x

Ok, so for the past few days I have been studying up on keybinding, also i have read every page of this topic i believe and still have one question left unanswered. Forgive me if i missed it, but is there a way to keep your keybinds specific to each toon you play and to each spec it has? Or do you have to reset the keybinds everytime you switch specs or toons?

Quote Originally Posted by ironfox View Post
    Im A Clicker. The reason for this is because im left handed . I can never get a good place to keybind because i use the arrow keys to walk. So clicking is my only option. any recommendations?
    Ironfox. x
    I have a lefthanded friend who uses IJKL for movement and YUOP7890 for his "number" keybinds. Will probably take a bit to get used to but a lot more keys to work with. Using ctrl and shift will give you some more options for the numpad if you prefer to keep your hand there, and maybe use 5123 for movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Satyn30 View Post
    Ok, so for the past few days I have been studying up on keybinding, also i have read every page of this topic i believe and still have one question left unanswered. Forgive me if i missed it, but is there a way to keep your keybinds specific to each toon you play and to each spec it has? Or do you have to reset the keybinds everytime you switch specs or toons?
    I can't remember how it is with WoW without addons but if you use addon like Dominos, then you can make profiles for every toon and probably for different specs too.
    You should try and maybe you will be happy with Dominos (I can't play WoW without it nowadays ).

Quote Originally Posted by Vorla View Post
    I have a lefthanded friend who uses IJKL for movement and YUOP7890 for his "number" keybinds. Will probably take a bit to get used to but a lot more keys to work with. Using ctrl and shift will give you some more options for the numpad if you prefer to keep your hand there, and maybe use 5123 for movement?
    Thank you for this, i have tweeked around the buttons you have said to use, and i am now officially a keybinder lol. now my friends cant call me 'Pro clicker' lol. thank you! Ironfox x.

This is really simple, but I threw it together just to have a visual way of organizing my keybinds and consolidate multiple skills into one key where possible. A red square in the corresponding stance column means the ability is usable in that stance. There's an extra column with a box that's blue if the ability requires a shield

The top of the chart has all the abilities that can be used in all three stances. After that I grouped abilities that could be consolidated to one key because they are only available in certain stances. These are divided by black lines.

I grouped them according to what made sense for the way I play and realize people might prefer different, but it's a starting point and I figured it might be useful to someone else, so here it is:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...NVjNiUHc&hl=en

Some nice reading here if you have the time haha. I started wow as really my first MMO and ran with stock bars and everything till I learned more about addons and such and used the mouse click and keyboard moving approach for everything but that was in the days that I played my pally and basically all I did was stand still and spam cleanse and flash heals where I just watched health bars and decursive.

After switching to my for fun dps warrior and finishing out his last few levels to get to 60 to help with tanking in MC, so long ago it seems, I slowly learned that was slow reactions, still doable but once difficulty levels and aggro became issues and more that just single target mobs and such I switched over to some keybindings and worked on getting use to that.

Now I use my mouse for nearly all movements. I was not big into researching a good mouse and ended up getting that WOW mouse haha and now I like it with autorun on a thumb button, right click turning, and two more thumb buttons as strafe each side, I even use a button to tab target which leaves my right hand open to all sorts of keybindings for abilities. Like everyone has stated you pretty much have to find a layout that works for you and where you know where to click to do each ability and be able to do it accurately without looking all the time. I also went with the solo grinding or farming approach to learn this where issues like threat are non existent and you can play around and move keybindings without holding people up. Once you get a hang of it move on to 5 mans or even heroics if you are good enough and know the group where if you do slip it wont be a huge deal and you can laugh it off, "woops, wrong button, my bad." The hardest part for me is still targeting where I want to click target with my mouse but even then my eyes are still on the screen. There will be the occasional ability that you will use on your action bar but the majority of your main ones should be memorized and with your key binds.

It takes time and effort but you can learn it in time and once you do you wont want to go back and it will increase your game experience once you can look at the screen and see all that is going on and not where to click your mouse. Sorry I babble on a bit to explain my self. Good luck!

I need some advice as a Hunter.
    I have well over 45 keybinds currently. I use a WASD Gaming keyboard (QWE/ASD stacked, numbers above in 2 rows, all accessible w/ modifiers as well, one handed).
    What are the MAJOR skills/macros that I would need to use (not counting basic rotation skills) and learn keybinds of first?

I currently have: Feign Death, Disengage, Deterrence, Pet Macros, Freezing Trap, Focus macro, Scatter Shot, PvP trink... Any others?

We're around 1300 in 3's and was going excellent, then came against about 8 Shammy/Hunter zerg teams with another random stunning DPS in a row and dropped so much. Like it'scoming down to Hunter (or Shammy) sitting on 2k hp and then I die, if the first DPS died before me we'd be fine. Just need that .5 of a second edge (keybinds ) :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I need some advice as a Hunter.
    I have well over 45 keybinds currently. I use a WASD Gaming keyboard (QWE/ASD stacked, numbers above in 2 rows, all accessible w/ modifiers as well, one handed).
    What are the MAJOR skills/macros that I would need to use (not counting basic rotation skills) and learn keybinds of first?

I currently have: Feign Death, Disengage, Deterrence, Pet Macros, Freezing Trap, Focus macro, Scatter Shot, PvP trink... Any others?

We're around 1300 in 3's and was going excellent, then came against about 8 Shammy/Hunter zerg teams with another random stunning DPS in a row and dropped so much. Like it'scoming down to Hunter (or Shammy) sitting on 2k hp and then I die, if the first DPS died before me we'd be fine. Just need that .5 of a second edge (keybinds ) :P
    I haven't ever really put much time into playing a hunter so skill wise you'll have to figure it out for yourself. Your most important keybinds would be your most commonly used offensive, defensive, and CC abilities.

Pharaunmizz recently showed me a very useful spreadsheet that I'm sure the TS community could use. It was made by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It is an Excel sheet that has been modified to look like a keyboard. It has pictures of all prot warrior abilities and they can be dragged around onto whichever key you like. It also has a few other classes and I'm sure if someone put in the effort, they could make one for any class they wanted to. You can download it here:

http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx
    That's it for now. I hope this helps clear some things up and I'm open to any info or suggestions
    I cant open this with Openoffice can anyone help? thanks

Pro-Clicker

Quote Originally Posted by ironfox View Post
    Thank you for this, i have tweeked around the buttons you have said to use, and i am now officially a keybinder lol. now my friends cant call me 'Pro clicker' lol. thank you! Ironfox x.
    Have you tried using the Num pad 5123 for movement? You can then use all the other surrounding buttons for Keybinds, this might even let you group your spells using the arrows for some spells and the home,end,pgup,pgdn,delete etc for others.
    Another thing I would suggest is what Vorla suggested but move over 2 rows so your using Pl;' for movement. This would give you easier access to the Modi buttons without having to move away from your movement buttons. Hope this helps, Happy clicking

Great guide. I am sorry to say that I do click a little too much and have been trying to pull myself off it little by little. I have most things bound now but not all, definetly using that spreadsheet to get my key binds down correctly. Also incase anyone is interested I have added a bindings and complete abilities page for DK's. Just can't find a half decent place to upload it atm.

I've read all 6 pages of this post and haven't found any mention of the method I use.

I use a Logitech MX518 mouse.

Where most people bind their mouse keys to particular abilities, I use my thumb keys as modifiers. The closer, bigger thumb button being Shift, and the smaller, farther thumb button being Ctrl (I avoid using Alt as a modifier because I do alot of Tab-targeting and swiching targets while using a keybind modified with Alt ends up minimizing your client (Alt-Tab) = not good.

My left hand home keys are 3-4-5-6, giving me easy access, without looking, to keys 1-8. Thats 24 available keybinds with use of modifiers. While playing my warlock, I use T (attack) and Y (follow) for pet control and I use F4, F5, F6 for various reactive or situational abilities (Voidwalker Sacrifice, Soul Shatter, Lay on Hands, Ice Block, Fade, ect.)

There are limitations with this setup that have always bugged me though, such as my inability to strafe while turning with the mouse and using an ability bound to 1-3.

As a caster, I find no practical use for strafing, even in pvp. Jumping (while running) and mouse-turning to use an instant ability on my pursuer while in mid air and then getting my character turned back forward before hitting the ground (maintaining your forward motion) seems to be a sufficient alternative. It sounds complicated, but when you know your keybinds, its a pretty simple maneuver.

Now that I'm tanking with my pally, I struggle with positioning. More specifically, facing them the direction I want them to be. The method I see most tanks use is to strafe around the target, rotating them in place. Having no need for strafing as a caster, and being so comfortable with my current style, I haven't taken the time or effort to implement strafing. The method I use to get a boss facing where I want it (away from the party/raid in most cases) is simply to back away from it. The problem I have alot of the time is, when the mob/boss is where I want it, and I stop backing up, it continues to walk right through me and then turn around, facing my back and the raid. I do move my hand off of my home keys occasionally to use the strafe method of positioning but its something I hate to do and try to avoid (moving my hand off my home keys).

On another note, my setup wouldn't work very well for melee in PvP because they obviously can't function in combat at 100% without strafing.

My only, far out there, idea to implement strafing into my setup is... foot pedals. I know, its crazy. When I originally purchased a mouse with thumb buttons, I was intending to use them to strafe, putting full movement control in my right and, leaving my left hand dedicated to abilities through keybinds. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough, but I couldn't seem to coordinate my brain and my hand to get the desired level of control. I also have small hands, short fingers. Shift-5 is a stretch, Ctrl-5 is obviously worse. Using my thumb buttons as modifiers came very naturally though and I've used this method for almost a year straight. I think having two foot pedals keybound to be strafe-left and strafe-right would make the setup godly for melee PvP, granted it would be a little extreme for mob positioning while tanking.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and ideas.
    -Tic

wtb foot pedals
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark