Spacebar - Jump, Shift+Spacebar - Shieldbash/Pummel

Numberpad used for marking targets and zooming in/out

Mouse
    wheel up - Battle Stance, Shift+wheel up - Target next enemy
    wheel down - Berserker Stance, Shift+wheel down - Target Previous enemy
    wheel push - Demoralizing Shout, Shift+wheel push - Revenge/Slam
    Left button top - Taunt, Shift+Top - Disarm/Overpower/Whirlwind
    Left Bottom - Devastate, Shift + Bottom - Shield Block

Having everything bound is very beneficial when tanking anything, from heroics to end game Hardmodes, I've had keybindings since launch and keep the bindings as close as possible for all classes and alts, thinking how similar abilities can be used, or just what feels right at this point.
    Standard recognized, /tweak perfection.

whatever happened to that keyboard that was supposed to have mini lcd screens as keys, this would be huge to bind a picture to your keyboard.

**edit**
    never mind found it retail price $1599
    Last edited by Kryptic; 07-14-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: update

My keybindings for my Prot Warrior.
    W - Forward
    S - Back
    A - Strafe Left
    D - Strafe Right

1 - Shield Slam
    2 - Revenge
    3 - Thunderclap
    4 - Devastate
    5 - Shield Block
    Shift+1 - Shockwave
    Shift+2 - Concussion Blow
    Shift+3 - Disarm
    Control+2 - War Stomp

Q - Charge/Intervene/Intercept (macro)
    E - Shield Bash/Pummel (macro)
    R - Heroic Throw
    T - Hamstring
    F - Bloodrage
    G - Shattering Throw
    Z - Shield Wall
    X - Spell Reflect
    C - Ironshield Potion
    Shift+Q - Charge/Intervene my focus (Very handy for Vezax kiting)
    Shift+W - Zerker rage
    Shift+E - Shield Bash/Pummel my focus (also very handy for interrupting on Vezax hard when tanking Animus)
    Shift+R - Recklessness and back to Defensive macro
    Shift+A - Battle Shout
    Shift+S - Demoralizing Shout
    Shift+D - Commanding Shout
    Shift+F - Enraged Regeneration
    Shift+G - Shoot
    Shift+Z - Last Stand
    Shift+X - Intimidating Shout
    Shift+C - Challenging Shout
    Control+Q - Defensive Stance
    Control+W - Battle Stance
    Control+E - Berserker Stance
    F1 - Top Trinket slot
    F2 - Bottom Trinket
    Tab - Taunt.

I use the mouse for more than just looking around:
    Mousewheel up - Heroic Strike
    Mousewheel down - Cleave
    Shift+MWUp - Zoom in
    Shift+MWDown - Zoom out
    Thumb wheel forward - Nearest hostile
    Thumb wheel backward - Target previous hostile
    Thumb wheel press - Auto-run
    Right sidebutton - Ventrilo (It helps a LOT when calling things out on Ventrilo as a mouse button doesn't hinder your ability to do other things)

These might look a bit complicated but once you commit them to muscle memory they work wonders. I spent a long time planning out my keybindings to make them easy to use in combat and combined with a nice clean UI allow me to react very quickly and do my job
    Last edited by Ring0; 07-15-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petninja View Post
    What do you do when you have 5 mobs you are tanking and #6 comes out of nowhere and runs after your healer? Tab x 5 really fast and hope to god you don't overshoot your target and have to tab again? If you really didn't like having your hands each sharing the load of a job why not just bind all movement to a mouse and then do all keybinds on your left hand? Then you get the advantages of a mouse turner, and you still get your hand free for just keybinds. I'm not saying you're not a good tank, I've never run with you. Your method is plagued with unnecessary keypresses and substantial downtime compared to a mouse turner. This will ring true in any fight where mobs are coming from two directions, or if something doesn't quite go as planned.
    I use the keyboard to "turn", but I find I never *just* turn. I have mapped the normal movement keys to ESDF with W and R being the strafing. Thus, by hitting W/F (or R/S) at the same time, I do a strafing turn - a trick I learned as a hunter kiting mobs around a Frost Trap. It is second nature to me to at this point, so turning is always incorporated with running at full speed. When tanking Anub in Naxx, (we still run him during the swarm...) I can strafe all the way around the edge of the green goo stream - I tap the F key from time to time to make the small adjustments in the turning. This lets me Avenger Shield him to slow him down (if I'm not in the swarm) as I strafe since he is still in the 180 frontal arc and if he does catch up and hit me, I don't have my back to him.

When I need to "cast and run like blazes" (clearing to Auriaya) I can sneak up sideways, cast, and strafe away at full speed, using the mouse to correct my angle as I strafe (yes, you can strafe while 'steering' with the right mouse button) once I get my right hand to the mouse.

As someone else pointed out, you rarely need to turn 180. Knowing my weakness on slow turns, I *never* have my back to my healers, which, btw, also helps me SEE them so I know if a mob (Shade...) has suddenly attacked them. I grab mobs and strafe/turn so that the mobs are in front of me (12:00) and the healers are off to the side (2:00 - 3:00 for example). If a mob gets loose, I strafe a bit (and turn slightly if needed) until that mob is "most" in front of me and tab. This gets them 90% of the time and the other mobs are still not behind me (I still get the dodge/parry/block benefits). It doesn't always work perfectly, but when I have a problem I find it is always because I was an idiot and positioned myself poorly - mouse turning won't help me with that.... I have found that clicking on a mob who is in the middle of 10 healers/ranged DPS isn't as easy as it sounds, and I am going to tab-select the mob no matter how I turned to face him.

I also find that if mobs surround me (ex: spiders in Naxx pulling you ala DK Death Grip into the middle of the mobs) I can very quickly strafe/turn to gather them all in front of me with the healers and ranged DPS still somewhere in front of me and to the side - all while using my right hand to drop consecrate and run my rotation at the same time. The strafe/turn also lets me gather and tighten the mobs without moving them around the floor as much. I can circle them, keeping them in generally one place while I get a few mobs out from behind me. This keeps the mobs in my own Consecrate better as well as any AoE going on and the mages like that.

So: for me, using 2 hands on the keyboard gives me more abilities than having one hand on the mouse. While turning is slower, I find I can avoid the need for instant turns by advanced planning and positioning. Having gotten good at strafing while turning at the same time, I have the ability to do a number of good things I could not do with a mouse, all the while keeping up my rotations or using certain abilities. For PvP I am sure I would be dead, but that is why I only tank in PvE....

(If my sig shows 20K armor, I'm in my Healing gear...)

"None. Shall. Pass." - The Black Knight

I see some keybinds for warriors and paladins but I could use some examples to consider using and modifying for a Frost DK tank. I'm also left handed so I use the mouse with it and buttons with my right hand.

Eww, lefty!

I know there's a considerable number of lefties out there, and I cannot imagine how you actually coordinate attacks... my brother is a lefty, and insists on using the Num pad to move, and he jumps back and worth with the mouse and normal number keys... it's insane, but he's a nub anyway... maybe that's why. :P

I'd like to see a lefty's keybinds that have been tested to be efficient placement. I can't "see" it.

WADS ftw, imo.

left handed layout

mouse for movement and strafe toggling
    arrow keys for fine control and backing up
    middle wheel button press for camera reverse (so I can look behind me quickly without moving)

insert: shield wall
    home: shoot
    page up: last stand + healthstone
    delete : baudmark keybind
    end : heroic throw
    page down : charge/intercept macro

(on humpad)

/ : disarm
    *: mocking blow
    - : spell reflect
    + : intervene/taunt macro
    . : berzerker rage
    1 : devastate + bloodrage macro
    2: revenge
    3: shield slam + bloodrage + trinket macro
    4: heroic strike
    5: shield bash
    6: thunderclap
    7: cleave
    8: concussion blow
    9: shockwave
    0: shield block

F12: fight specific raid warning macro (if needed)
    backspace: auto-run

on mouseclick on a floaty bar (thanks to bartender) all shouts and vigilance

This layout assumes mouse on left side for comfort reasons.

Help Opening this spreadsheet

Hey guys I was searching the net to find some useful way to make tanking easier and finally found it but cant figure out how to open the spreadsheet I want to use this for all my chars.

Quote Originally Posted by rasiem View Post
    Hey guys I was searching the net to find some useful way to make tanking easier and finally found it but cant figure out how to open the spreadsheet I want to use this for all my chars.
    I believe if you aren't using a vista computer you have to download a converter.

Looking on microsoft I think this is the solution:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-c6bb74cd1466

I am using vista though

I am using vista though
    Do you have office 2007?

yea when I download from the link u gave do I open the file that reads [content types] or extract from whats in the 3 folders or go to office open etc.

I think you should be able to just hit run, accept terms, and it installs itself. But I downloaded a while back so I might be wrong.

do i put the files on my desktop or in office folder

do i put the files on my desktop or in office folder
    I don't think it matters, just run it.

shouldnt it come up like the pictures u posted because it dont it just comes up as a bunch of BS letters and stuff. or maby because im running excel 2007 because I see everyone else has 2003.
    Last edited by rasiem; 08-04-2009 at 01:44 PM.

shouldnt it come up like the pictures u posted because it dont it just comes up as a bunch of BS letters and stuff. or maby because im running excel 2007 because I see everyone else has 2003.
    It should look like my screenshot. If it doesn't, I honestly don't know what else could fix it.

could u send me what u have maby via e-mail maby the link u posted is no good ?

when I download it I get a folder called keymapping I open that and theres 3 folders and a file called [content types] I click the file and it opens an internet explorer tab with a bunch of letters and stuff.

http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx

When I download this it has one file. A converting window appears and then the spreadsheet opens.