Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Keybinds and You

Oh, that's a hot mouse! Thanks Rude, that helps a bunch.

MX Revolution. Tilt wheel. The thing on The side isn't really a wheel. It's on a spring. Goes forward and back and pushes in.

Well as for me I don't do a lot of PVP (not at all mostly) I work very well with the following setup.

I don't use Mouse turning and don't like it in general.
    For abilities and so on I use NUM LOCK. Buttons 0-9 and - & + with ctrl and shift that gives me over all 36 key bindings. Gives me quick access to my shouts trinkets and major CD abilities. Use Q to mark my main target and E for quick access to my Pots/Stone/Seed. As for tanking this has been working great for me for 4 years now. And as for tanking I recommend it at least test it (as long as your not playing a lap were this will become impossible).

Then the general Idea is 0-9 are my most used abilities.
    Use 2 for HS and 5 for Cleave the idea there is ill always have one finger (the infamous middle finger) only on HS or Cleave because I never use them at the same time in a fight.

Then Ill have free the index and ring finger for the other Major CD Abilities as in SS,SB,CB,Revenge and so on and so on.

But the general idea is always keep the Middle finger free for HS or Cleave spamming in high rage fights.

Will include a screen shot later to day (not on the right computer at the moment).

I've changed my play style alot of time since i start to play wow on beta release. After a long tuning of UI and keybindings I've configured my UI with all my tanking spells [used by right hand) on NumPad 1-9 [ctrl+alt], taunt on +, stun -, consumable/pots/HS/etc on 0 & . and all raid macro on Ins, Home, pg up, etc. Left Hand manage movement, pull spell, trinkets, tab targetting. Mouse? I use Mouse only to move camera and to click on HealBot (left = taunt, middle = LoH, right = cleanse). When i'm tanking I "parking" my mouse pointer on HealBot subwindow and start to use only keyboard with both hands.

Try binding all abilities that are on the GCD on keys you hit with you index finger and all abilities off the GCD on keys that you hit with your ring finger. That way you wont lose time moving your fingers between keybinds for abbilities that can be pressed simultaneously.

Some examples:

Off GCD
    Q - Heroic Strike
    alt+Q - Cleave
    shift+Q - Shield Bash
    Z - Bloodrage
    1 & shift+1 - trinkets
    CAPS - Taunt (although I hit that one with my little finger)

On GCD
    E - Shield Slam
    R - Devastate
    C - Revenge
    shift+R - Thunder Clap

all in defensive stance

1 heroic strike, 2 shockwave, 3 revenge, 4 devastate, 5 shield slam, 6 rend
    q strafe left, w forward, e strafe right, r thunderclap, t cleave/sunder, y reflect
    a intervene, s backward, d disarm, f berserker stance, g shield wall, h last stand
    z intimidating shout, x berserker rage, c victory rush, v taunt/mocking, b bloodrage

c1 conc blow, c2 battle shout, c3 commanding shout, c4 demo shout, c5 challenging
    cq shield block, sq POP ALL MAC, sw gloves cw trink1, ce trink2, se bloodfury, cr regen
    ca heroic throw, cs vigilance, cd potion, cf focus target, sf target focus
    cx land mount, cc flying mount

f1 battle, f2 defensive, f3 berserker f4 ranged weapon f5 healthstone f6 bandage

I have to agree with Keybinds. They are great little things. First off for anyone starting any class that requires alot of binds or just alot of buttons make sure everything is withing reach of your main hand. As it is I can't post my layout but the way I have my binds setup are to the point where I was feeding my new born baby while tanking and instances and the only missing what my ability turn around fast enough. But I still don't require a mouse to play if anything.

I use 1-5, shift/alt 1-5, shift/alt q-r, shift/alt a-f for all my combat skills and I change stances with shift z(battle), x(zerk), c(def). The trick comes down when you have to make sure you don't bind really important keys to your movement keys when you are trying to move one handed if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mssxwpn View Post

Instead, I've opted to use my left hand for movement and modifier keys only (and a select few non-GCD abilities such as heroic strike and healthstones/pots that are out of "rhythm"), with my right hand on the numeric keypad, leaving the mouse entirely unattended when in combat (out of combat my hand goes back to the mouse for NPC interaction, changing view etc. because it has to)
    What do you do when you have 5 mobs you are tanking and #6 comes out of nowhere and runs after your healer? Tab x 5 really fast and hope to god you don't overshoot your target and have to tab again? If you really didn't like having your hands each sharing the load of a job why not just bind all movement to a mouse and then do all keybinds on your left hand? Then you get the advantages of a mouse turner, and you still get your hand free for just keybinds. I'm not saying you're not a good tank, I've never run with you. Your method is plagued with unnecessary keypresses and substantial downtime compared to a mouse turner. This will ring true in any fight where mobs are coming from two directions, or if something doesn't quite go as planned.

Just throwing my 2 cents in...

I found that I became a MUCH better player and my reaction time when through the roof. I know many people find that transition hard but, here is what I did. Gosh this must be some over two years ago when I think of where it was, lol! I used to grind the crap out of the Dragonkin in Azshara near the Azuregos spawn. I literally forced myself to grind them without clicking. The best thing for reaction was to be able to switch stances and pummel the casters. The time I used to use for mats was put on hold as I relearned how to play the game.

I have found it most comfortable for me to move my movement keys over one key to the right. Using E,S,F,D for movement and binding the rest. For me, it's always easiest to ensure that I'm on the right keys with that nifty little nob on the F key. I use shift and ctrl as modifiers, alt is my PTT. I may revisit and use the capslock key. I have a multi-button mouse which I've bound my stances to.

One thing I actually never considered is to use the the buttons on my mouse for actual attacks, lol! I use my mouse wheel for zooming in and out and that I probably will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mssxwpn View Post
    The question I was trying to get Cervantes to elaborate on is whether there's really any significant disadvantage to keyboard turning when tanking in PvE (my post on double handed keybinding and tossing the mouse out the window). PvP there's no doubt what-so-ever that keyboard turners are dead men walking.
    No one answered this, so I will.

Yes, there is a huge disadvantage to keyboard turning in PvE tanking.

Say a mob suddenly breaks loose, or spawns, and makes a beeline for your healer. Once it makes it past you, a keyboard turner has to slowly turn around and taunt, and depending on how far away your healer is, you might not make it in time.

A mouseturner can do a quick 180 in less than half a second, grab the mob, and be back facing the pack in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalphir View Post
    Say a mob suddenly breaks loose, or spawns, and makes a beeline for your healer. Once it makes it past you, a keyboard turner has to slowly turn around and taunt, and depending on how far away your healer is, you might not make it in time.
    This is a poor example, since Taunt does not have a facing requirement. You can easily taunt a mob that's behind you. However, even assuming that this were not the case:

A mouseturner can do a quick 180 in less than half a second, grab the mob, and be back facing the pack in seconds.
    A full 360 degree turn with the keyboard takes 2.0 seconds, 180 degrees take 1.0 seconds, 90 degrees take .5 seconds. You should rarely ever need more than a 90 degree turn in PvE: All movement can be done at a 90 degree angle; you can strafe sideways, and charge/intercept/etc. work for the entire 180 degrees in front of you (so do all attacks, including Heroic Throw -- auto-attack is about the only thing that doesn't work at a very oblique angle). And, of course, you generally don't want to turn your back to the mobs you're tanking, anyway. In short, you can cover the entire battlefield that you can reach without touching the mouse in .5 seconds.

Obviously, there is still a small opportunity cost to keyboard turning in PvE; however, there is also an opportunity cost to not having both hands on the keyboard (especially if you have relatively small hands like me). And it goes without saying that in PvP, you will be at a severe disadvantage without mouse turning.

I use both keybind and click, but never do i ever turn with keyboard. I always see who are keybinders 100%, says that it is slower to turn with keyboard, but i have never done that even when i was 100% clicker when the game started, or in any FPS i played before.

Importent and most used ability i use keybind for, but i click instead of using say ctr + T, I'm far faster to click then use that keybind.

I do agree that keybind is better, why im doing it now my self, but you can click some ability.

I'm curious: Where do you heavy keybinders put things like target last hostile (G by default) and assist (F by default)? I find both very useful, but perhaps you're not using them at all? This is on the assumption that you bind those keys to other things.
    Last edited by sörenpandis; 03-04-2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sörenpandis View Post
    I'm curious: Where do you heavy keybinders put things like target last hostile (G by default) and assist (F by default)? I find both very useful, but perhaps you're not using them at all? This is on the assumption that you bind those keys to other things.
    Nowhere in particular. One of the major reasons for going keybind-heavy is that you have two "home rows" instead of one, so keyboard real estate isn't as much at a premium, since more keys have proximity to a home row. It's more of a function of what things you want to be able to do concurrently (e.g., move with one hand, target with the other).

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: with "heavy keybinders" I meant those who bind most (or all) skills to keys near WASD, and use the mouse for moving.
    For that situation F and G are (at least for my hand) prime real estate.

I've recently upped my Prot DPS by quite a margin by binding HS to Mouse Wheel down, and Cleave to Mouse Wheel Up (via Bartender4) - this has allowed me to concentrate on my normal rotation, and not focus on clicking HS all the time to ensure I dont miss anything

with Heroic Throw only working in the direction you are facing, I'm afraid it's time everyone used the mouse to turn. There's no excuse anymore - sorry guys and gals

/respect

Choop....

Quote Originally Posted by sörenpandis View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: with "heavy keybinders" I meant those who bind most (or all) skills to keys near WASD, and use the mouse for moving.
    For that situation F and G are (at least for my hand) prime real estate.

I've found that WASD is too limiting in what potential you can unlock from simple keybindings. (fewer modifiers)

Moving the movement keys to EFDS was my solution which opens up a huge number of keys.

YTRWQGAVCXZ

as well as 123456. I dont go higher than 6 because I don't like having to stretch for a potential pushing of the wrong key.

F1-F7 are also more easily accessible which I use for raid target icons.

And a higher number of keys makes for less modifiers. Which isn't a huge deal because I have just about everything of mine on a key I can get to. So I do use them. but only [mod:shift]

I used to use CTRL and Alt, but i like to stick with simplicity. Which is what I explain to guidies about keybindings... since sometimes learning them is the hardest part.

I've set it up like this on all of my characters. (with respective macros and addons of course)

And actually going back to defualts would take me forever to relearn :P

Strafing

I've noticed everyone here binds strafing keys, but I honestly can't remember the last time I used the strafe for anything outside PvP.

Is there a use for strafing in tanking? Right now all my keyboard real estate is taken up by abilities. 1-6 with my threat generators that can be used in any stance, Q-Y with my stance bar, etc...

I'm having trouble maintaining high levels of threat on Malygos. Maybe I'm just not cut out for tanking this fight, but between staying on top of the GCD (with heroic strike spam), constantly moving the camera around to try and spot the sparks, and moving the dragon when it's necessary (most of the time, rarely get lucky with 2 sparks from the same location), I find my threat slipping.

All of my abilities are bound to either the keyboard or mouse, so I don't have anything that I need to click on. However, here are some problems that I encounter.

1. I still find my eyes wandering down to the action bar to make sure my timing is in sync with the GCD. This causes me trouble when when there is a situational awareness check (void zones, checking for sparks, or even watching for a castbar on the mob I'm tanking for an interrupt).
    2. Maintaining a solid rotation while moving. While moving, I usually have to let something slide. Sometimes I start to lag behind the GCD, sometimes I lay up off the Heroic Strike spam, and sometimes I'll let buffs/debuffs slide.
    3. Reaction time. I think pretty quick on my feet, and I can't tell if I'm planning too far ahead, or if I just can't react to stimuli quick enough. For example. As soon as I hit a button (lets say Shield slam), I do a very fast evaluation (is revenge lit?), and I start spamming the appropriate "next button" before I'm even 1/4 through the GCD. Lets say I choose next button to be Devastate. While I'm spamming devastate, Revenge lights up, my reaction time isn't quite quick enough to catch that revenge before the GCD finishes, and I hit Devastate (so far, I'm a little behind on threat for selecting devastate when I theoretically could have revenged). I give myself a fraction of a second to curse my mistake, and start spamming revenge. This would be fine, if that devastate hadn't procced S&B, I don't get my audio cue's until at least half way through the GCD (default shield "clang" as well as a big "whoosh" from my proculas addon), and by the time my brain registers the "Shield Slam!", the GCD has already come and gone, and I've hit the revenge key instead of the Shield Slam.

Do other warriors out there find themselves in a similar boat? or do you wait for the GCD to finish before you do your evaluation/button press? I find that after having 1 or 2 misses (pressing the wrong button), I tend to stop pre-emptive spamming, and pay more attention to the action bars (setting myself up to miss an environmental cue).

I'm wondering if remapping my keys will help alleviate at least some of the problems (maintaining high threat while moving). Maybe put the big 3 high threat GCD's on the mouse (I use a logitech revolution, so lots of buttons available), and put more situational stuff on the left hand where they can be prioritized against movement keys (moving usually > than anything than the most critical abilities).

Or am I simply over-analyzing the problem, and I need to tell the DPS to give me a little more time to get a solid lead?

What I've been interpreting from a thread Xav posted a while back, about how he was hitting like 400 keystrokes a second or something, so he didn't miss a GCD (I exaggerate here, as I don't remember the exact details of the thread), I think most tanks are just mashing buttons like crazy.

Actually, I had the same problem too, when I used to tank - I'd always be looking down at the actionbar to see when something would become available. Oddly, if I play any of my other toons (mage, druid, hunter, you name it, I've got one), I don't look down nearly as much. I don't know why that is, but I do enjoy it.