+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Obsidian Sanctum Sartharion

Thankyou for this awesome video guide Ciderhelm, I made all of our 10 man group watch your guide before we started the entered the instance, we one shot the boss with only 2 deaths for the entire raid, 1 on the boss fight and 1 during the drake that has the eggs,

I would like to thankyou on behalf of the Fatal Guild ( horde ) Nagrand for comprehensive and easy follow guide, we look forward to following your guides for Nax also

Cheers

Kika

We ran this encounter with

1 warrior ( tank)
    1 Druid ( tank )
    2 shaman ( 1 resto 1 dps)
    1 pally ( dps)
    1 priest ( holy )
    1 hunter ( dps )
    2 mage ( 1 frost 1 fire )
    1 warlock

all players where geared in quest rewards + heroic warth gear 90% of the gear was from wrath
    Last edited by kikamookow; 11-27-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Tauren Warrior - Fatal Nagrand US

I tried Sartherion on 10-man with 3 drakes up, they do attack you but only one at a time. The other 2 are flying in the air until a drake dies (or that's what i'm assuming, we only tried once and we wiped at 80%)

Doing it with 2 healers seems very difficult, i suggest 2 tanks and 3 healers for that.

After a wipe with 3 drakes up and a wipe with 1 drake up, we just decided to kill him with 0 and go clear Naxx to get some gear to try it again next week.

Oddly enough, I can't find any information yet about Sartharion on hard mode about the drakes attacking the raid.

Edit: 2 tanks might not be enough if you need one to tank the drake/fire elementals, one on the dragon and one to enter the portal. 3 tanks and 3 healers seem like pushing it for a 10 man raid.
    Behind every great player is a band of haters.

Warrior Tanking Adds

Ok, we did Sarth on sunday night, and it was more messy than we would like. Part of that was due to an approximate 2 month break in Raiding, and part was due to learning the instance..

The Video Guide sure helped a lot, but we are finding that there are still way too many deaths during the Sarth fight..

We went in there with :

Pally MT
    Warrior OT (myself)
    Pally Heals
    Priest Heals
    Hunter
    Deathknight
    Druid
    Rogue
    Mage x 2

I was the Offtank, as our Pally was significantly better geared for the encounter, Now, up to Sarth was pretty much a Cakewalk, but there are two things that I thought are worth mentioning :

1. Egg Drake - Try to focus fire on some of the adds if AOE is not enough, the first portal we had 3-4 'Almost Dead' eggs, and unfortunately that still equals 3-4 Full Health Whelps. Have melee focus fire, AOE'rs try to grp up imho.

2. Adds on Sarth. It could have been trying to get the 'Flamewall' movements down (as this was our 1st try), but the Adds were very difficult to pickup as a Warrior tank (I felt). I'll be the first to admit that I haven't quite gotten used to AOE tanking (at least its still to the point that I feel more stressful doing it) compared to Single target / 2 Target Tanking..

However, it appeared to me that the Adds spawn 'randomnly location wise', and seemed to be out of 'Tclap' range. Without dropping a "Challenging Shout', how have other warriors found the best way to 'Pickup' these adds is..

I'm a little wary of using Shockwave on them, as I don't want them stunned when the Flame Wall comes through, and 'Growing' instantly...

I tried to 'Taunt' one (near the MT), and then Charge to another, but at least on one 'Add Wave', there was at least one other Add that was outside of threat range for both those abilities (and a Taunt was resisted...making me consider a different glyph)

Any suggestions?

My guild is currently attempting Sartharrion with 3 drakes up. To clear up some of the confusion:

1) The drakes come down one at a time, but are on a timer. And it's impossible to kill one drake before the next drake arrives. The order they come down is Tenebron (spawns eggs in his portal), Shadron (spawns a single add), Vesperon (single add). Shadron's portal should be ignored until Tenebron is dead (this causes Shadron and Sartharrion to take almost 0 damage, but Tenebron is top priority). After Tenebron is dead, the DPS take shadron's portal, kill the elite, and then go to work on Shadron. The adds in Shadron/Vesperon's portal are stunnable/snareable and dont hit for a lot, so they're easily doable without a third tank.

2) This is a major dps race, our dpser's don't even take the first portal, which contains eggs. Instead, our warrior offtank challenging shouts when the eggs hatch, and are subsequently AOE'd down, (This is due to our raid setup, where we have loads of AoE damage. If you have not a lot of aoe, the adds can be ignored until Tenebron is killed). The point is to get Tenebron down before he spawns a second portal.

3) Flame adds: They only have 26k hp, the warrior offtank and myself pick them up when they're in range, or taunt when they're on other people. Typically our fury warrior and mage can kill them relatively quickly with cleave/living bomb. They enrage if they're hit by the flame tsunami, causing them to do considerable more damage. If they start to build up, our DPS would just aoe them down really quickly.

When we finally do down him with 3 drakes up, I'll be posting a video from a MT pally PoV. And later possibly an Offtank PoV. In my opinion, offtanking is considerably harder, but challenging shout clenches that position for warriors/druids (buff pallies).

Raid Setup:

Pally Tank on Sarth
    Warrior OT
    CoH Priest
    Resto Druid
    Holy Pally
    Shadow Priest
    Boomkin
    Fury Warrior
    Fire Mage
    Enhancement Shaman

edit: more info.

What was the raid make-up of this video? Understood that you killed the drakes first, just wondering how many tanks/healers/dps? I dont see that added on any of the other videos, that insight would help in preparing for these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by emillard8 View Post
    What was the raid make-up of this video? Understood that you killed the drakes first, just wondering how many tanks/healers/dps? I dont see that added on any of the other videos, that insight would help in preparing for these as well.
    As per the introductory video, 3 healers, 2 tanks, rest DPS. Classes don't matter. Buffs can occasionally be helpful, and when they're helpful, I note them in the movie.

Updated w/ Achievement change.

In my opinion, offtanking is considerably harder, but challenging shout clenches that position for warriors/druids (buff pallies).
    I guess I'll try the Chall Shout next time, although I <shudder> to think about doing it.. Obviously, before a Chall Shout, OT Position must be considered to minimize Sarth 'pivoting' and unnecessarily inflicting damage on the DPS / Heals..

Quote Originally Posted by maexio View Post
    I guess I'll try the Chall Shout next time, although I <shudder> to think about doing it.. Obviously, before a Chall Shout, OT Position must be considered to minimize Sarth 'pivoting' and unnecessarily inflicting damage on the DPS / Heals..
    i do not suggest Chal-shout at all (from personal experience)

you need to be around 20-30 yards away from sarth to not hit him

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    i do not suggest Chal-shout at all (from personal experience)

you need to be around 20-30 yards away from sarth to not hit him

Assuming you don't have a pally MT, then challenging shout is easy to pull off, as the warrior/druid can immediately taunt sarth right back

Yeah, we had a pally MT, so Chall Shout was a serious 'i don't think so!'...

I guess if it was super easy, it shouldn't be a raid...

How offten does this reset?

1st off, very nice video! thanks for the great info. my main question though was what addons do you use? I love the layout of your HUD. I bet this is posted somewhere else but i suck at searching for stuff on forums so if you have a link to where they are posted i would greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Frank

Frank,

Type Ciderhelm UI in the search button above, and you'll get results linking to

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f120/...formation.html

Just wanted to add that he seems to spawn 10 or so adds when he is at 5-10% health.

Downed him today, with pally mt, me as an ot. We had a little trouble with the adds, but after i got a designated dps'er to help me out, the fight became trivial.

<Rather be fishing> thanks you for a great video guide Cider.
    I am the spearhead. I am relentless. I am the last line of defense. I am a Warrior.

Thanks for the guide

The extra adds seems to come at 10% (a sort of enrage).
    By the way, how did you manage the end of the fight ? It was our first WOTLK raid yesterday evening and we wiped 2 times below 1% (15k & 9k) ... quite frustrating ... I was playing my bear as offtank and did not survive enough with all those adds on me ...
    Did you focus on Sartharion while letting the offtank agroing all the adds or killed / zoned every adds berfore finishing the dragon ?
    Last edited by Oxyde; 12-12-2008 at 05:59 AM.

Just a few things we have noticed for those watching this video:
    Those lava blazes will gain a form of mini enrage if they are hit by the walls of lava (100% increased damage, 200% increased HP if I remember). A hunter can tranq shot it if this happens. Mainly it's only an issue if you're going for extra drakes up.

At ~15% Sartharion will do a form of 'enrage' where he spawns like 30 lava blazes. Nuke Sarth fast. When my guild went in here with the intents of 1 drake alive, we thought you didn't kill the drake. Well when this 'enrage' happened on Sarth, that drake got REALLY pissed and raped our tank.
    After an hour and a half+ of solid wipes (yay an actual decently challenging raid again!) on 10 man, we figured it out and did it with Vesperon up (-25% HP on you, +25% HP on bosses).

Basically we did it with 2 tanks, 3 healers, 3 ranged, 2 melee. One of the melee was assigned to just nuking the little blazes while Sartharion was up. Once Sartharion came down, both of us melee ran around keeping the blazes in check the entire time (with the hunter tranq shotting and the ret pally stunning blazes if they enraged) while the ranged DPS KILLED Vesperon. Vesperon died, our debuff went away, the tank who was now free zoned into the portal along with the melee, killed the disciple then we turned around and nuked Sarth.
    We're trying it next week with Vesperon + Shadron as well. Spend a few hours dying to that.

I'm having a hard time scheduling this with 2 nights of Naxx 10 and 1 night of Naxx 25 at the moment but we whipped his ass last Sunday with no drakes up. We wiped the first pull when the OT challenging shouted for the little flame adds and got Sarth too. I was dodging a flame wall but got him back....not quite fast enough before he flame breath hosed the raid.

My questions are:

1.) If you are going to attempt it with one drake up, which is the reccomended one drake you leave up?

2.) What are the scaling rewards for 1, 2, and 3 drakes up? I know at 3, you get a fancy new mount. But if you just do it with one drake left up, is it an extra ilvl 200 epic? 2nd tier 7 glove token? /shrug.

Leaving one up concerns me due to the OT's gear. We've geared up one but he was subbing in for another dude who had some RL crap to do before coming back to raiding and is not quite 80 yet. An undergeared OT is not an issue for most of what we're doing in Naxx. Hold on to this, round up those. Let the DPS DK who rerolled from a prot pally help him out with that. (we haven't been to Gluth yet and 4H was a little dicey)

I'll probably end up pugging this mostly as the raid wants to work on Naxx during the raid times. But, with all drakes dead, its like a 10 man heroic....pretty simple and quick.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Nevermind, I found the answers on Wowwiki.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Sartharion with 1-2 drakes up

Would you be able to post a video some tips and such like you currently do with strats on how to do it with all or some of the drakes up I would like to do this on 10 man mode. so Im open to suggestions such as grp make up and dps, tank, and healer requirements

+ Reply to Thread