+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Utgarde Pinnacle Bosses

I'm a slightly lower geared tank (just at 540def, ~23k hp) and I cant seem to make it thru the gauntlet no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions?
    If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If the dps dies, it's their own damn fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Boondockst View Post
    I'm a slightly lower geared tank (just at 540def, ~23k hp) and I cant seem to make it thru the gauntlet no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions?
    Try this:

Tell your party members to wait in Gortok Palehoof's room. YOU run to aggro Skadi. He'll fly and the mobs start positioning themselves. Range/body pull the duo closest to Gortok's room an run back there to reset the event. As soon as the mobs despawn go full speed along with your party to the end of Skadi's corridor and enter the little room where the mobs respawn, just next to the Harpoon Shooters (or wathever they're called).

By this time, Skadi will be back where he starts. Ask someone who can move fast (rogue, mage, hunter, etc) to aggro the boss and run back to the little room. As soon as Skadi flies ALL the fixed mobs of the gauntlet will spawn at the same time. Do your thing to hold'em and let the AoE begin :P

Collect 5 harpoons (be sure that you, the tank, get at least one), take care of the 2 mobs spawn and shoot 4 times in the dragon. Wait for him to fly high again, kill the last 2 mobs, ask for everyone to run a little back (away from the shooters) in the corridor and shoot the last harpoon. Pick him up, announce his WWs (Disarm helps a lot here), make sure the poison gets cleansed and you should be fine

The hardest part it's to have your party members learn to stay max range (rangeds/healer) or when to run during Whirldwinds. Taunt is golden when his about to reach your party
    [Tank Addict]

At Skadi the ruthless the easiest is to have the four other members behind him, then when he whirlwind he'll go after one target. It's most likely he will take one of the four other than you. They run south (if you face him north) and he'll follow, when he got some range you taunt him and he will go after you the forced three seconds taunt last. This will give the party much better time to avoid it and may help avoid a wipe. If he do it against you, take a couple of hits and intervene a party member. I hope this info helps

After a little time here in northrend we started the achivement runs, which we do every boss that has an achivement and wipe/reset till we get it, Skadi is quite easy though it does require you to push your tank to the limit when actually doing the achivments. This particular boss has 2 achivements, 1 downing him within 2 mins of starting the event, and the 2nd killing his proto drake in 1 pass. To do this requires you to reset the event after gathering your 5 harpoons. They are tradeable and will not vanish once you reset the event so whille collecting take your time, get them and then wait to go full bore. When i start the event i like to do it in 3 waves, first wave as many of the melee as i can, i have not tried reseting him and running ot the end which i might have to do, but you pull the first 2-3 packs at once, aoe and move on quickly, pull the last group with the harpooners and wait for him to get close, make sure you have 2 people shooting harpoons makes it go much faster. Your healer can not be casting heals during this time since he will aggro he/she as soon as he lands and could 1 shot very easily. Kill off any adds that might have been up when he came down with aoe and then start the boss quickly. During his wirlwind, if he doesnt target you stand still, he will move towards your other party member leaving you standing alone, once he reaches the near limit of your taunt, taunt him towards you so he only travels 1/2 the distance he normally would. If he does target you, and your a warrior just disarm him and possibly pop last stand or shield wall, the healer should and must heal you through it, and if done correctly you should get both in the same run.

What is the name of the addon or whatever that you guys use ? for the interface to look that way also the interactive group images?

Gauntlet

With the gauntlet, what I tell my group to do is, once we start the boss we hurry down the hall and charge once in range (The extra 5 yd range on charge is needed) of the first mob. Once done so, you should have about 3/5 of the mobs in the gauntlet, immediately shield block, then thunder-clap then immediately turn around and shockwave.(The mobs will hamstring) Once shockwave'd, run down the hall and pick up the remaining mobs, then once all are at the end of the hall, use Shield Wall to take less damage. The mobs must die before shield wall runs out of time. Then, if you don't have enough harpoons, the whole group should move into the cubby to the left of the harpoon thingies. Whilst, you the tank, pick up the adds that spawn in your group picks up harpoons. Then once you harpoon and dismount Skadi, face your back towards the hall, and fight him against the harpoon things. Then once he WW's, Intervene a ranged party member to get away. Then pull him back to harpoon things and repeat.

I tanked alot in that HC and I never seen a DPS'rs that fast, may I know how much DPS they r doing plz.

Gotta say, this video really helped when I 1st started farming this place. Even though I could most likely do it with my eyes closed now (still farming, everyday no sword ) This guide helped me out alot.

Also on the Skadi event..the reset method does help to speed up the runs alot. Also makes the whole event ALOT easier to tank.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Bane is dispellable using Shield Slam. Really helps me

another strat for 3rd boss

If you begin the encounter and then run back into the Hall of Trophies room, the boss will reset, and not respawn for 30-60 sec, not sure on the exact time. This gives you 2 options.

One, (my preferred): start the encounter but do not run up. Wait for the harpooners to run down. Once you have the proper number of harpoons in your bags run into the other room and wait. Once he is reset the whole party can run all the way to the end of the gauntlet without starting the event. It actually starts once someone crosses in front of him. So, once everyone is prepared and ready, have someone run back down the hall and just cross in front of him then run back. Always helpful if that person has some kind of run speed increase. TANK: encounter starts and you have the whole group in front of you. AoE threat is a must, (I'm a warr tank and have no issue). Burn down them all with AoE's and get ready to harpoon boss.

Two: Exact same except you start the event and reset it right away. Run to end of hall, start it again, aoe the trash down and get harpoons then.

Hope this is usuful to someone else. Finally got my Red Sword of Courage.

To prevent your heal or DPS from Getting killed by his whirlwind you can taunt him and he will come after you. >.< as long as your on the long side or else you can get trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondockst View Post
    In my experience with Skadi the Ruthless from both a tank and DPS perspective, gear isn't the issue that causes wipes, the gauntlet phase is really easy if you have the AOE damage to burn the enemies down really quick. I haven't done it since the hunter nerf, but it used to be a BM hunter, fire mage, prot pally or DK tanking and me as a ret pally. The boss gauntlet is based around AOE, if you can kill the mobs in about 2 or 3 groups, and take the dragon down, the rest is really easy. Deadly Boss Mods helps with things too, I am pretty sure it calls out whirlwind, and if you see him start spinning move your ass outta there, cause anyone but the tank is squishy to that ability, he can kill me in about 3 or 4 hits as a plate head with Naxx 10 man level gear. The damage can be mitigated by Devotion Aura a bit, but it still will take out clothies and leather players easily. Even if he goes after someone aside from the tank, as long as they run away and everyone keeps away from that person and the boss, no one will die. It is a very straight forward fight if you pay attention to what is going on.

Fun fact:

Mages: When the second boss, the manotaur comes up, use your Mirror Image, he'll sometimes target one of them for the harpoon DoT, saving your healer, and the rest of your party, a bit of hassle.

Sword never drops.then again I've ran only twice but I lost hope when my last run had a 1300 sp resto shaman healing me .-.
    Tanking and Failing at the same time is my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Try this:

Tell your party members to wait in Gortok Palehoof's room. YOU run to aggro Skadi. He'll fly and the mobs start positioning themselves. Range/body pull the duo closest to Gortok's room an run back there to reset the event. As soon as the mobs despawn go full speed along with your party to the end of Skadi's corridor and enter the little room where the mobs respawn, just next to the Harpoon Shooters (or wathever they're called).

By this time, Skadi will be back where he starts. Ask someone who can move fast (rogue, mage, hunter, etc) to aggro the boss and run back to the little room. As soon as Skadi flies ALL the fixed mobs of the gauntlet will spawn at the same time. Do your thing to hold'em and let the AoE begin :P

Collect 5 harpoons (be sure that you, the tank, get at least one), take care of the 2 mobs spawn and shoot 4 times in the dragon. Wait for him to fly high again, kill the last 2 mobs, ask for everyone to run a little back (away from the shooters) in the corridor and shoot the last harpoon. Pick him up, announce his WWs (Disarm helps a lot here), make sure the poison gets cleansed and you should be fine

The hardest part it's to have your party members learn to stay max range (rangeds/healer) or when to run during Whirldwinds. Taunt is golden when his about to reach your party

This is the method I was just going to suggest. I prefer to do it the regular way but if you have a group with decent heals and fairly good dps this is the best method. Like you said, wait in the room where palehoof is the have someone run to skadi and let his speech start. Run back to the wood panels on the floor in the room where palehoof was the I usually count to 2. Skadi will reset and you can run to the very end. At that point you can all run into the room where the adds spawn from. Have a hunter,mage, or rogue go get start the encounter if possible due to AotP, Blink, or Sprint, and be ready. As soon as skadi starts his speech the adds will pop up from the room so make sure you plan for that and heals and tank are ready and buffed before you start it. You can stay in the room the whole time and avoid the ice breath but be aware if you do that the adds will also spawn from the two little cubbies in the room on either side and they tend to be ranged and go for heals. If you have someone that can ot it helps but not necessary. Also, I always assign 2 dps to get 3 harpoons each since it takes 6 to bring him down. Have them call out how many they have as the enounter goes. When you have all 6 we burn the adds (or as many as we can) and shoot skadi down on one pass. Tank picks him up and moves him down the path a bit while the party is by the harpoon launchers and dps burn him to 0. Moving him down the path gives the tank a few seconds to taunt back during ww if his he in the middle of the global timers cycle.

In response to Cider, I completely agree with the Oblivion reference.

Last thing, the mini-bosses before palehoof each have one notable attack that I always recommend the party is ready and aware of.

The wolvar with frenzy, the clefthoof will charge (which I believe the closer the party is the less damage the charge causes, sorta like the last boss in gun'drak), the jormungger (sp?) will poison with an acid spit so as I tank I pick him up and face him away from the party so less people get hit by it, and the furblog fears. The fear can obviously be reduced by any of the normal methods. As a pally tank I usually just use the bubble macro to pop DP and cancel it. Hope that helps, tho I am sure most of you are well aware of these fights by now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AxetoyourhedTheFailTank View Post
    Sword never drops.then again I've ran only twice but I lost hope when my last run had a 1300 sp resto shaman healing me .-.

HAHA ouch. That's way low. I tried to run it yesterday for a guildy and the priest we were with only had 1400sp. I had to pop DS and use LoH on Svala!!! That's a cake fight. lol. Also didn't help that I inspected her after that and found out she was spec'd discipline.

Oh, and don't get discouraged. I had to run H UP 14 times before I got the sword to drop. What's sad (but so awesome) is I got Skadi's mount 11 runs before I got the sword! :P (yes it's dropped on my third run thru)

Great UP guide

I want to thankyou for putting that H-UP vid, really great. I've actually been having some trouble with the instance myself, namely the gauntlet, and it's been a mixed bags of fails between dc's.. poorly geared healers, but namely lackluster tanking on my part, or at least thats the responsibility im going to accept. Either way, I was wondering if you could post up what mods you use and from a prot warriors stand point if there is an ideal class group you prefer. From my experience I've usually run better with a caster heavy group as opposed to 2 or even 3 melee's beside from myself hacking at the same target. One its disorienting and keeps my screen nice and clean and two it keeps my aggro radius clear as well. Also Ive noticed druids specifically because of their HOTs have trouble keeping up with my dmg.. might be because of my gear or stats or whatever... it would be great if you would look me up in the armory.. my name is Biotech under the maelstrom server guild is TTL but thats just from my experience. Just rambling thoughts of a tank.. Once again awesome post keep up the good work.

thanks the things were helpful and I finally beat the dungon

Congrats on the sword

Great Video.

Definately helped.

VTW I totally respect you Cider because you play Oblivion!

+ Reply to Thread