+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Hit Cap Question

Hmm... Currently sitting at 426 hit, 24 crit and 160 haste atm for TG. Need more crit.

Yeh one thing that really makes me sad is to see my crit only @22+% in zerker UB as TG atm with about 338 hit atm. Granted i'm still trying to work on my gear.. but with the low-ish crits.. I think TG would only get to truly shine when most of us are hit (soft) capped & have close to 30% crit so that deep wounds & all can be ticking more.

And more crit = rampage up more as well = win!!

= )

Yah, I'm gonna drop some hit and get my crit back. Drop some haste to. What is the soft cap for fury now anyway? I keep getting conflicting answers.

Nm. Per EJ, its 361.
    Last edited by Shadowhaxor; 11-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.

There's 2 threads over EJ where it's being debated wether he hit cap is still 9 % or 8 %

Is melee hit cap really 9%? - Elitist Jerks
    Hit rating - Elitist Jerks
    World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Hit rating required is only 8%!

this would be awesome news for us if the hit cap is only 8 % :-D
    Last edited by Rishkkin; 12-02-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added official wow forum link

Quote Originally Posted by Rishkkin View Post
    There's 2 threads over EJ where it's being debated wether he hit cap is still 9 % or 8 %

Is melee hit cap really 9%? - Elitist Jerks
    Hit rating - Elitist Jerks

this would be awesome news for us if the hit cap is only 8 % :-D
    We've been having this debate on the wow warrior forum as well. People have seen misses with 8.24% hit. If anything, I believe the training dummies are bugged.

I saw the thread on the wow forums yesterday, but it got lost in the flood of other posts and I couldn't link it.

There's 1 or 2 comments relating their experience in naxx and they also seem to point towards 8 % hit cap.

I guess well see in a quite reasonable future

edit : added the link to the wow forums in my previous post
    Last edited by Rishkkin; 12-02-2008 at 11:58 AM.

This makes me think, if we get to a point where your miss rate is so close to be barely perceptible (this seems to be the case at > 8.24 %) is there still an incentive to get more + hit, wouldn't that be more "dps" efficient to use those stats points elsewhere ?

I mean, if for example item A has 200 "stats point" and brings you just under the hit cap (lets say by 0.01 % for the sake of the argument) and that item B has 195 "stats points" but does bring you to the hit cap. Wouldn't you be better off using item A ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rishkkin View Post
    I mean, if for example item A has 200 "stats point" and brings you just under the hit cap (lets say by 0.01 % for the sake of the argument) and that item B has 195 "stats points" but does bring you to the hit cap. Wouldn't you be better off using item A ?
    Of course. You should never evaluate items or stats in a vacuum.

It depends on what your SEP is for hit pre-cap and post-cap, and the distribution of stats between A and B.

"Barely Perceptible" chances to miss doesn't really matter; if you have a 99.9% chance to hit, you're still missing 0.1% of the time, and SEP calculations weigh your hit accordingly.

What they don't do, though, is take into account what happens when you pass the hit cap, so you need to do the work yourself. If hit rating below the cap is worth 0.85 SEP, and hit rating above the cap is worth 0.4 SEP, and you're 5 hit rating away from the cap and the item has 20 hit on it, it's actual SEP is 10.25 (5*0.85 + 15*0.4).

tl;dr: it really depends on item A and B, and what your current stats are If you aren't worried about min-maxing, then A is probably better. If you really want to be sure you're wearing the best gear combination possible, you'll have to do some math

If hit rating below the cap is worth 0.85 SEP, and hit rating above the cap is worth 0.4 SEP
    But the SEP value below the cap wouldn't change each time I get closer and closer to the hit cap ?

At 0 % hit you miss so often that adding any hit at that point would provide a DPS upgrade but at 8% you miss so "rarely" that adding additional provides less impact, right ?

Think it's time to write a new simulator ? ;-P

It doesn't go down like you think it does. The effects of adding hit rating (in a vaccuum, ie going from a 5 hit gem to a 6 hit gem) is linear until you reach the cap (or very close to that). My SEP for hit hasn't really gone down as I've worked towards the yellow hit cap, unless I lost a lot of crit or strength.

interesting

I thought as you got closer to the cap, the less benefit you would get.

I got 0 misses on my specials for naxx first 2 quarters tonight, with 357 hit rating. I know that is almost there, but i would have thought i'd miss once at least. Makes me think its 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosenx View Post
    I got 0 misses on my specials for naxx first 2 quarters tonight, with 357 hit rating. I know that is almost there, but i would have thought i'd miss once at least. Makes me think its 8%.
    It's going to take more than three hours worth of attacks to prove anything. Just like "ten minutes straight on a dummy" won't prove anything. And as I've said elsewhere, the cap on a bosses chance to dodge has been said to be 6.5%. I ran with 6.25% and saw one dodge in a five month period.

The thing that many seem to still be missing (literally) is that it doesn't matter if the specials cap was lowered or not unless you're an Arms build and I suppose for tanking as well, but that's another forum. Do you honestly think if you ever have periods of rage starvation (with 14% hit) in a rotation that it's smart to lower your hit even further?

White hit cap

It has come to my attention that I may have way too much hit rating for my TG warrior. I'm able to stack about 600 atm and i'm wondering if I should go and look for hitless items?
    I like not missing the white hits, but I'm uncertain how much this effects my damage opposed to getting a lot more crit and strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Svendo View Post
    I like not missing the white hits, but I'm uncertain how much this effects my damage opposed to getting a lot more crit and strength?
    Even though my warrior's at about 368 hit, I still find myself rage starved & sometime waiting for CD's to come up esp if I'm waiting for RNG to conjure up a BT crit to proc bloodsurge, outta habit I end up queueing up a HS or cleave (miss 17/44 playstyle) making rage situation worse.

Missing less white hits is good (more rage gen), but as I'm sure its been said before, overly stacking hit only affects your auto swings, whereas Str (AP) & crit affects all attacks, thus you'll probably get more outta Crit & Str after the hit soft cap.

Maybe if u have the emblems for it, I doubt u can go wrong with equipping a Mirror of Truth - Item - World of Warcraft as rampage, flurry & alot of good stuff are still crit proc'd... according to your armory you have 22+% Crit & under 3k AP, perhaps u might want to work on those stats alittle more?

Thank you

Thank you for your reply! I am currently saving badges for that trinket as I lack a lot of crit. All though the armory is telling my stats in battle stance which are decreasing the attack power and crit. But its still too low according to what you wrote
    Thank you again for this helpful feedback and I will focus a lot more towards my strength and crit!

Quote Originally Posted by Graul View Post
    It's going to take more than three hours worth of attacks to prove anything. Just like "ten minutes straight on a dummy" won't prove anything. And as I've said elsewhere, the cap on a bosses chance to dodge has been said to be 6.5%. I ran with 6.25% and saw one dodge in a five month period.
    .25% chance to get a dodge compared to 1% less chance to hit. You'd think that in two 25 man naxx, sarth, maly, and 1 10 man naxx/sarth/maly I would see a miss by now with 8% hit, but I still haven't.

I'm checking my recount and WWSes constantly to make sure, and still run dummy tests. You would think by now I'd see a miss, but I haven't, and neither has anyone else testing it.

There's almost an infinitely small chance of this happening, the number is so miniscule that this all could be luck that it's completely negligible if I miss one attack in five months at this point.

Now for fury you're never going to hit the white cap, so if rage is an issue, then by all means you should probably keep some extra hit.

Not true. It's been said that the cap is 6.5%, but that's because expertise only goes up in 0.25% increments. 6.25% is not enough, but the cap may actually be 6.25001%. However, the only way to get capped is to go up to 6.5%.

Since we don't know what bosses dodge rates are exactly, your five month period isn't really relevant to the discussion.

+ Reply to Thread