+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury Tank?

Fury Tank?

This is just something I was playing with, but then I got kind of serious about it.

The idea being that the stats on a 2hand weapon would offset the loss of deep prot talents. That, and it would add bloodthirst as another ability to use instead of SS/Devestate.

Of course this started out silly, so I know this spec is not optimum and won't be tanking a boss any time soon. But, I think it picks up most of the key damage mitigation talents. I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

An alternative I was thinking of was:

I don't have the gear to make it even remotely worth investigating at this moment. But, I was thinking with all the itemization changes to Strength, this might actually be worthwhile. I think the largest kick in the teeth would of course come from a much lower crit chance, and no whirlwind.

Bliz has stated that they want any spec of the tanking classes to be able to tank 5mans and maybe even OT bosses or trash mobs - the spec you came up with would probably fill this role. Until you match the spec to gear though, it is hard to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Yeah, that was the hardest thing for me. I would imagine mostly straight tanking gear with this, putting more into +str in gems terms.

Of course it would be superceded by a real prot spec for raid bosses. But, it might be a viable offtank spec.

The other idea I toyed with was a dual wield tank. You would lose ~6k armor, but gain a lot of stamina and strength. You would take more damage, but of course put out more as well. Anyway, just silliness and I was hoping to inspire someone to test it more thoroughly. As I said before, I just don't have the gear to.

I've tried 2h & shield tanking, DW tanking and good old 1h tanking as fury. 1h sword and board wins easily. 2h rage gain is way too spiky, and with baseline shield slam (among other obvious flaws), dw tanking just isn't worth it.

Cool, thanks for the input corb.

Commandin pressence

Quote Originally Posted by holmedog View Post
    This is just something I was playing with, but then I got kind of serious about it.

The idea being that the stats on a 2hand weapon would offset the loss of deep prot talents. That, and it would add bloodthirst as another ability to use instead of SS/Devestate.

Of course this started out silly, so I know this spec is not optimum and won't be tanking a boss any time soon. But, I think it picks up most of the key damage mitigation talents. I'm just wondering what you guys think.

An alternative I was thinking of was:

I don't have the gear to make it even remotely worth investigating at this moment. But, I was thinking with all the itemization changes to Strength, this might actually be worthwhile. I think the largest kick in the teeth would of course come from a much lower crit chance, and no whirlwind.

it is a need as a fury tank my friend brewser needs it. he tends to tank i nfury hyjal a bit of it atleast hes our top dps in guild btw. so he gens treat nicely but he wears tank gear and duel wields brutal bone grinder and sword.

It's hard to pass up Tactical Mastery for tanking as fury. The extra threat is a big deal.

That said, I'm probably just going to be tanking with my traditional 19/52/0. I don't get ShieldSpec/Anticipation/Toughness, but I save a respec (or a slot in my dual-spec) and with decent enough gear I should be able to Off-Tank just fine.

Yeah, it was more just something I was playing with (tanking w/ a 2hander...come on, that's cool).

I'm still leveling prot, so it's all good.

+ Reply to Thread