+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where Did SBV Go?

Where Did SBV Go?

Ok now that Im 75 and have some tank pecies stored in the bank, Im starting to notice a trend. A major lack in SBV equips on gear. Ive looked at a couple of the Gearing guides here and noticed the same thing for gear that drops from heroics.

Is this the reason we got so many Shield Block buffs in our talents?

Did we lose our SBV at the cost of STR being on our gear now?

Is this the end of high damage SS's?

Just something thats been bothering me and im wondering if anyone else is seeing the same thing.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

1- Our high shieldblockvalue comes from high-end raid gear, ZA, T6 and high end badges.
    The gear you went into Karazhan with didn't have these very high SBV numbers. So my guess you will see more of it on epic gear.

2- 2 strength=1 sbv

Most tanking items have 20-80 str on them.
    that is 10-40 SBV on all of your gear.

so as Orcstar say 2 strength=1 sbv

it is not the end off big SS

Just for reference, here are all the WotLK items currently with SBV on them (minus shields and greens):

Armor - Items - World of Warcraft

Most come from heroics or higher, but there are a few that come from normal dungeons or rep rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
    Most tanking items have 20-80 str on them.
    that is 10-40 SBV on all of your gear.

so as Orcstar say 2 strength=1 sbv

it is not the end off big SS
    They removed static SBV from everything just about except some shields, necks and some trinkets. The reason for this is they want Warriors, Paladins and Deathknights to be able to use the same gear. By changing shield block value items to adding strength instead, not only do you gain more block value overall across your regular tanking gear, but your shield slams, revenges, devastates, tclaps, shockwaves, conc blows and heroic strikes will all be larger as a result. You didn't get nerfed, and I guarantee you your shield slams will be larger moving forward than they EVER were while you were in Kara/ZA. Not only that but all your other abilities too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Yeah it's not only across classes, but across specs.
    STR gives AP and SBV. So STR for DPS and Tanks.

Outside the Holy Pally needs, STR rocks all Plate.

And the DK without a shield? It ups their Parry.
    Forceful Deflection - Spell - World of Warcraft

I love me some meaty shield slams and seeing the BV bonus stat on an item always made me happy in my pants. I'm a little suprised to see not that much on the T7 gear....I mean, your set is your set, warrior tank set, no worries about sharing gear and wasted drops but just one piece, eh?

Meh, replacing some items, my BV hasn't dropped but it hasn't risen any either. That said, unless you're full T6/Sunwell going into raids, you're probably wearing an odd mix that's scraping to hit 540 def and high EH. I expect BV to get pretty high later on with stacking Str. Once your minimums are met.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

BV on tanking gear makes my deathknight a sad panda. Tbh there should not be any plate gear with BV except for paladin and warrior tier sets.
    /runs away frome angry mob of shield weares after that comment

At 75, most of the gear that you are seeing are quest rewards, boss drops, or crafted. Blizzard chose to keep the stats for these items very generic so that they can be used by all 3 plate wearing classes. Death Knights, Arms/Fury Warriors and Ret Palladins won't get any use out of gear featuring SBV.

As you get into tiered gear which is tailored for Warriors, I think you'll see SBV again. Until then, 2 STR = 1 SBV with the generic plate gear you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by nips View Post
    BV on tanking gear makes my deathknight a sad panda. Tbh there should not be any plate gear with BV except for paladin and warrior tier sets.
    /runs away frome angry mob of shield weares after that comment
    /torch
    /pitchfork

Seriously, though, its a a stat with limited impact: Shield Slam, Damage Shield and damage mitigated.

If we can get the same amount of BV off of STR while increasing the above stats as well as white damage, HS damage, Dev damage, TC damage, etc, etc....

Yeah, step back and think about it, this is win all around.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Yeah, since I didn't have all that BV gear, as I hit 76 and replace all my tanking gear that I had, my BV is steadily climbing from all the STR on LK tank gear, and that's full of win. More AP+STR/2 for BV = bigger SS, bigger everything, not just BV for bigger blocks and SS.

I've lost roughly 500 sbv levelling to 80 and replacing most of my gear with wrath epics

We got a big buff to SBV via changes to Shield Block. Okay that's on a cooldown and not what you meant. If you look at the links posted above there are items that have SBV on them. We are comparing iLevel 128+ level 70 epics to level 80 blues... An interesting thing about it is if you remember it the way I do, your AP got cut in half and your block value roughly doubled from Dungeon Set 3 -> T5+.

Also, big meaty Shield Slams are great I like them too. Rejoice that you no longer hit like a precision sopping wet noodle with every other ability on the GCD except Shield Slam for a change.

I've only gained about 600ap and tbh I don't hit that much harder than I used to, I want my big ss crits back, 16k is my top atm

Getting to the EH/Def requirements I lost a lot of SBV too. So much that I'm now wondering if 2 points in damage shield is even justified. Anyone else drop this and find a better home for those points?

Once you start getting some Naxx gear, especially some of the 25 man pieces, your SBV will go up compared to what you had in Sunwell gear. I don't have a new threat set yet but in my pure EH set I'm at 1110 block value right now, and in Sunwell I only had around 700.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Where did SBV go? It went onto a boss that is permanently stuck behind a force field no matter how many times I run Heroic Violet Hold.

I would happily trade you my Violet Hold trinket for the 111 stam one from az'jol-nerub or whatever they call the place.

Block Value isn't dead:

Wowhead search

Not bad considering the relatively small amount of gear in the game currently.

+ Reply to Thread